Hyundai Verna Fluidic Technical Issues & Solutions

Re: Life with the all new Hyundai Verna

Hi Nick / Niel and the others.

Im from Mumbai too and am in the process of booking a a C+ segment petrol car. After a month of fun/painful/confusing...... test drives, I narrowed it down to the obvious choices ( i guess )..the Verna Fluidic SX vs Honda City VMT. Both are on offer for the same price range - 9.7L on road. Just today, I finally settled in on the Verna.

I have been following your ownership comments for a while and well, they too have inspired me to buy a Verna.The reason I picked a Verna was -

1. More Features - complete VFM
2. Hyundai cheaper to maintain over Honda ( over a 5-7 year owner ship span ).
3. Too many City's[surprise] on the roads.

I hope my reasons are justified and make sense. Now im not a very car savvy person in terms of picking on the finer nuances of car handling,ride quality etc. Having said that, even in the short test drive of both City and verna - there was an obvious thrust of power that I felt with the City at about 2k RPM which was somehow lacking in the Verna. Is all that power and fuel really being put to good use ? The other bit was ofcourse the suspension. Soft is nice but the whole body roll talk scares me a bit. Now i do not go by all these pro reviewers, who are like movie critics...nothings really good enough, so I'd rather hear it from some owners.

My driving patterns are - 95% Mumbai driving with and occaisonal Shirdi/Goa/Pune trip thrown in. I generally am an under 80kmph driver and do a max 120 on highways. Im not really a redline pusher so to speak.

Given all of these - Am I making a good choice in picking the Verna SX petrol over the City VMT ?
Eagerly awaiting your replies.

Thread Starter #17

sid you can have a look at my ownership thread. i Have the petrol sx(O)
my first advice take the verna petrol for a test drive and let the revs go above 3-4-5--6k rpms and just see how it pulls. ive driven to pune , nashik max speeds reached 150kmph no handling issues on straight roads but if theres corners and twists get the speeds down you feel the car is not fully in control although it is. For more we can continue on my thread

@sid

best would be take test drive of both cars.
if you are not going above 120 then there is nothing wrong in verna.

honda city lacks many important features , but seat comfort is really better in it compare to verna. , my dad owns city '11 model. and I ,myself felt that. handling should be little better side but not that much.
as nick said , he felt petrol city gives more response when revved. but i dont have idea as i never drove petrol verna.

both the car has problem of underbody touching on humps. but honda is father of all. Verna will survive if it's not heavily loaded in rear seats. usually people buy verna if fall in love with its looks(including me) not considering it's flaws.

why you are not taking verna diesel? it will be better choice i guess.
and if you are really looking for petrol only , i would suggest you to wait for autoexpo 2012 in january. there are lot of new cars coming which includes honda city facelifted model.

@nick
nice info... will try it today

got pic of city and verna rear comparison in my college parking.

Attachments

Last edited:

Thanks guys.

Well Im pretty much sold on the Verna, so your reassurances make me glad ;). Niel - Petrol coz of 2 reasons :

a ) The insane wiating time for the diesel variant
b ) I did the math. My average cost of ownership for a petrl vehicle, given my monthly running kind of offsets the price I would pay in cost and intrest of a Diesel vehicle. I did the math taking petrol price at Rs 80, which it might just go to insometime[anger][cry]. Over a 5 year period, I still stand to gain about 20K with a petrol head.

Is it true that maintaining a City is way more expensive than ( potentially ) maintaining a Verna ? Honda vs Hyundai ?

Thread Starter #20

honda service is expensive by a bit from hyundai. hyundai cmeos 2nd after maruti in service and maintenance costs. honda city touches speed bumps, verna touches sometimes, verna got more features, honda has discounts, honda has its famous engine and somewhat better handling, verna has a very good engine in both diesel and petrol. cabin is more silent in verna suspensions are comfortable hyundai will fix handling issues if i am right.

@ Nick - Over many posts on your thread, you have quoted many averages that you have clocked with different fuel variants. Am I right in summing it up as -with a high octane petrol variant like Speed ( Im a BP loyalist ), I should clock about 10kmpl with ac in standard Mumbai driving conditions ?

Thread Starter #23

sid, high octane fuel costs 87bucks a litre and very few pumps have that, the verna is more sensitive to fuel purity, if the pump has pure petrol not mixed with anything then your average will be 10 in city and 12+ highways. find a bp company owned pump and your good to go. Have cash then use speed 97 i got 2 kmpl more fe. still i havent changed my first factory fill oil so i can get an increase after that

im currently running speed(not high octane) from a company owned pump and the distance to empty hasnt jumped like it used to il empty this tank and check up manually currently it shows 13.4 kmpl
before this filled normal petrol from a bp pump privately owned gave me 10 kmpl

Last edited:
Thread Starter #24

well another good thing of our vernas is the absence of a timing belt and the use of a timing chain which saves us on maintenance costs at the 60k service but yeah this chain has to bee inspected at 100k kms.
another great thing of hyundai is the service cost a fellow member bensam just finished his second service and was billed rs1700 including oil and filter will be lesser for the petrol variant.
Another good thing of the vtvt vernas engine design is the oil drain nut is in the front of the sump while the oil filter is horizontally mounted as opposed to other designs where its vertical, by this we can prefil the filter during an oil & filter change thereby making it easy for the engine during the first start up after an oil change.

One thing i dont understand is why hyundai gave us a low capacity fuel tank which fills in 43-45l till the brim while other cars have 50-53l

I have booked the 1.6 crdi verna with Downtown Motors, Baroda on November 16, 2011. I am tols that the car will be delivered within 3-4 months time. Hope to get it in time! can anyone tell me the waiting period of the verna at Baroda?[surprise]

Thread Starter #27

I have booked the 1.6 crdi verna with Downtown Motors, Baroda on November 16, 2011. I am tols that the car will be delivered within 3-4 months time. Hope to get it in time! can anyone tell me the waiting period of the verna at Baroda?[surprise]
rana use the test drive thread for these queries this thread is regarding the cars issues fixes maintains and stuff
and diesel vernas have that long wait

i basically belong to surat. 3 months before when i booked verna , the waiting period was 6 months for diesel. but had influence and above that paid 60k extra to get car within 1 month.

you can use this thread for further questions http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...dic-verna-road-test-review-19.html#post116999

Last edited:

Hi Nick, Thanks for starting a long awaited thread.[cheers]. I own VTVT SX and I love this machine. Lately there has been dashboard rattling in my ANHV particulary on bad roads.Its some where between centre of the dashboard and drivers side. I am trying to find out the root cause of the rattle.I was told by ASS that the dashboard is to be removed for identifying and rectifying the problem.I am not in favour of this or rather I am a bit confused
[confused].Is there another way of getting a solution for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #30

well pinpoin the exact gap you get the rattling from if you cannot then let the a.s.s remove it. They should be very good since airbags are in the dash and not everyone can work around safely disabling it and working around there. if theres an issue they should replace in warranty

Top Bottom