Hyundai Verna Fluidic Steering Issue

Thread Starter #1
In a 1.5 years old verna (petrol) there is a noise in steering column. Its very low, sort of like grinding sound, easily audible when car is not moving and steering is rotated. Its heard in cabin only. Also I feel steering is bit heavy while driving.

Car is rarely used, not even done 3000km. Dealer/technician says the problem might be in bearing, he says root cause is that the car is not used much.

So can this happen due to non-usage of car?
Also what are your thoughts, what could be the reason for noise?

I believe this should be rectified under warranty, right?

Re: Fluidic verna steering issue

Its very low, sort of like grinding sound, easily audible when car is not moving and steering is rotated.
Are you sure it is from the Steering column?
At stand still condition and grinding kind of noise should be from the strut top mount (which is called rebound stopper, there will a metal to rubber rubbing) Open the bonnet to understand the noise source. If this is the concern (rebound stopper rubbing noise) there is nothing to worry and it is very normal.
ver.jpg
Image source: Other thread
Defect is covered under warranty, but not all dissatisfaction.

In a 1.5 years old verna (petrol) there is a noise in steering column. Its very low, sort of like grinding sound, easily audible when car is not moving and steering is rotated. Its heard in cabin only. Also I feel steering is bit heavy while driving.

Car is rarely used, not even done 3000km. Dealer/technician says the problem might be in bearing, he says root cause is that the car is not used much.

Yes, this is due to the defect in bearing of steering motor and cannot be caused due to the non-usage of car. This should be rectified by replacing the MDPS under warranty since it seems your car is still under normal warranty period.

You mentioned "heard in cabin only". Can you hear it with the bonnet open, like Mr.Boss mentioned?

If it is heard only inside Cabin, if it happens whenever the steering is rotated and if you can feel the disturbance in your fingers, then, something is not so secure the way it should be inside the Steering Column. My earlier car once had very low but irritating kirr-kirr-kirr vibration whenever steering was rotated. It was due to a worn out link weighing hardly 25grams. But that happened after may be 25,000km of use.

A little out of the box. A friendly neighbourhood mechanic, dealing in all types of cars and knowledgeable in electric steering mechanism, will give you extremely valuable inputs. His technical terms will help you handle the Hyundai team (send an email to the Co) for warranty issues. He might or not charge a nominal fee. Your problem will vanish soon.

OT1: A car is meant for burning the tarmac. It is akin to taking a German Shepherd out for daily walking/running. Your car has depreciated by 15-20%. THAT much for just 3000km. Not right boss.

OT2: This is my 100th Post in TAI. Realised that after posting. Thanks Team TAI for giving an opportunity to discuss with so many like minded guys.

Last edited:

Dear Rajesh,
As sureshisme said it is because of mdps motor failure, please contact ur service advisor. u can replace it under waranty as it is a manufacturing defect

Can YOU please share how does it contribute? and how was it identified?
while turning steering u feel like turining 2 metal parts with sand in between them. this is occuring due to failure of bearing in steering motor. if we replaced that bearing the issue will be solved. but the bearing is not available as child part & we need to replace the whole motor assy

My question is how did we arrive at a conclusion that the culprit is the bearing alone and not any other moving parts in steering column? Is there any past history with Verna?

this mdps motor issue is common in hyundai vehicles not only in verna but also in i20, i10....
Thanks for the update. Here comes the next question, the new part changed under warranty is same (by part number & manufacturing) as the OE part? If "YES", what was the change / improvement? If "NO" how does Hyundai warrant the recurrence prevention? Question may sound tricky, but just for my understanding and benefit of fellow Hyundai owners here.

Thanks for the update. Here comes the next question, the new part changed under warranty is same (by part number & manufacturing) as the OE part? If "YES", what was the change / improvement? If "NO" how does Hyundai warrant the recurrence prevention? Question may sound tricky, but just for my understanding and benefit of fellow Hyundai owners here.
you are right. the new pat is also same. if the replaced part failed before 10000kms or 6months (which ever is earlier) they company will replace it under parts warranty.
other wise customer fait.

mr,bosss if you are ok to reply, may i know in which automotive company's R&D department you are working with???

Top Bottom