Hyundai Verna 2016 1.6 VTVT(S): The Silver Fox (15K Kms. 3rd Service Update)

Re: Hyundai Verna 2016 1.6 VTVT(S): The Silver Fox (1600 Kms. First Service Update)

Glad to know there is no damage.. I dont think your brake has any issue. Its normal for the car to stop from 100kmph to standstill after few meters. ABS will reduce the braking efficiency when compared to cars without ABS on a straigth line. Below is a (exaggerated) chart to show an indicative stopping distance

Stopping distances on a dry road

The following shows the distance needed to stop on a dry road in an average family car.

Speed Reaction distance Braking distance Total stopping distance
40km/h 17m 9m 26m
50km/h 21m 14m 35m
60km/h 25m 20m 45m
70km/h 29m 27m 56m
80km/h 33m 36m 69m
90km/h 38m 45m 83m
100km/h 42m 56m 98m
110km/h 46m 67m 113m
Stopping distances on a wet road

The following shows the distance needed to stop on a wet road in an average family car.

Speed Reaction distance Braking distance Total stopping distance
40km/h 17m 13m 30m
50km/h 21m 20m 41m
60km/h 25m 29m 54m
70km/h 29m 40m 69m
80km/h 33m 52m 85m
90km/h 38m 65m 103m
100km/h 42m 80m 122m
110km/h 46m 97m 143m

Thread Starter #32
Re: Hyundai Verna 2016 1.6 VTVT(S): The Silver Fox (1600 Kms. First Service Update)

I probably think brakes reacted slowly due to my excessive braking in ghats rather than using engine braking to slow down.

After seeing numbers, i'll maintain even more distance than normal at high speeds.

That idiot was driving a swift desire, he didn't even had ABS but pasted an abs sticker on back as a show off. He was in a deep shocked state and must have realiased importance of ABS system.

@sai_crdi.... how much FE are you getting now ?

kms on odo is 1800. FE shown as of now on the display is 16.9 as my recent trip was at late hours when there was negligible traffic. There is always a minor differnce of less than a km from whats shown on the display. I get an average of 15kmpl so far.

Your FE figures shown on display will make any Verna owner envy on you [:)] Will be real good if you get that as actual mileage.

Your car has run very little to get worried about worn brakes. It should be thought of as almost new brakes. I too drive in ghat region often and using engine braking is efficient to have better control and it helps to have better life for brake pads

First of all congrats on your new ride, sorry for the late wishes tho.

About your fe one word of advice, do not trust the mid it exagerates, like if you tank up and hitthe freeway or reset it will stay at a higher reading. Use an app like fuelio to get a proper reading.
My verna was a 2011 one and used to put out 8-10 in city and 12-15 on highways, not bad i used to enjoy the mad pull at mid range(over 4500 rpm)
I did have fe issues in the start like 6-7km/l i switched over to fully synth and engine has been smooth even at 85k km.
About hyundai service, they mostly try to reject claims or hide it under the carpet, so be stern yet polite, see for any unusual compressor noises with ac on in idle and any big drops in rpms when the compressor kicks in.
Ive only had about 0.5-1km/l with ac off difference.
About low power on hills keep the car in powerband i.e 2500+ rpms a lil tap will make the car zoom below that it takes time.
I have done lots of ghats etc even 1200kms in a day.
Suspension issues thats their usual retorque and grease. I used to get them to change the springs amd struts. The warranty in charge guy being mt friend made it easier to get replacement approved where necessary.
About the hard clutch, have them bleed the lines properly, if not then check the master cylinder.

Btw i lovemysore roads i was there in june was a bliss to drive there after spending 4 days in Blore
Have fun and enjoy the car.

Nick, Thanks for sharing your learnings with verna. I followed your thead frequently and sad to learn that your car had to be written off.

Whats gona be your next one?

Well next one is a temporary one to get us to our planned upgrade. Since this was an unexpected expense. It is a hatch and is black. Will make a thread when i get the delivery.

Thread Starter #37
@nickandre. Thanks.

I knew about incorrect FE reading, it's just for show only.

I'm thinking of switching over to synthetic oil after completing 5K kms on ODO.

Hyundai ASC in Mysore is very bad. They'll do work only if they personally know you, otherwise they'll just keep making excuses saying that all cars will be like this only.

During my first free service, I demanded an DFMEA & PFMEA sheets and showed it to them. Otherwise they'll just visually inspect - check engine sound - use an OBD scanner - wash and give your car back.

@nickandre and @sai_crdi

Considering Hyundai Verna vtvt only -

1. Any advices for increasing FE ?

2. Any advices for driving in Ghats ?

3. Any advices for long trips ?

4. Any other advices based on your experience ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Well
To increase your fe keep within power band, for some reason i found the fe more when gears changed at higher revs than at when the mid suggests.
Same with driving on ghats i usually kept in 2nd gear if i wanted to over take some one else on third. While going down hill i usually kept on third, you cam save fuel going down hill by not using the throttle and either keeping in 3rd or 4th. 5th gear wont be of any use as you cannot speed more than 50-60 without increasing the risks.
Onemajor thing wanted to tell you is, if you hold your brakes and hit into a pothole realse and apply again, that brakes leave and the pedal xomes up and is hard to press back down without getting your foot off, i found this a safety issue and informed hyundai but like always mothing beyond that, even informed them of a pressure plate defect but nothing.
And yea i know you guys follow this but would be best if all passengers in your car belt up, i survived my crash with one injury all thanks to the belts, and as we all know rear passengers never belt up cause theres no law requiring them to do so.

For oil i used to use mobil1 0w40 gaveme good performance and butter smooth idling,tried shell castrol etc they were good but not like mobil1

Btw i did not follow any runnin procedure, got out of showroom did a few red line burst, but yes i found that when the car is driven sedately by someone else for say 50-100km and then i drove it , it lacked response or pick up but got better after few kms, so try getting the car to around 4-5k rpm floor it, but after ensuring its safe to do so and you are within speed limits.
Like say second gear will hit red line at anout 85-90km/h

Thread Starter #39

Yup, i'll change oil to synthetic 0W40. It lubrication efficiency is more and work in low temps too when compared with 5W30. Diesel engines will gain more advantage by using 0W40 than conventional 5W30.

i'll try the shifting tips and update you on FE.

Krishna, I was told that it already has synthetic oil and thats the reason we have a 10k kms service interval. Can you check with your SA?

Thread Starter #43

As per what i know, they use mineral oil mixed with additives. I seriously doubt they added synthetic oil.

Off-topic :
Before careful when you go to free hyundai checkups, the SA changed my friend's head lamps which was fogging up with someone else's (new car) just because his warranty is void and they can claim warranty since it's a new car.

[roll]

They cant swap parts from cars. if you pay they part stays with you. If warranty part goes to hyundai with vehicle details.

Thread Starter #45
@nickandre.... That SA took 1K from my friend and swapped headlight assembly with a someone else's new car. He just did it like it's a common practice at Hyundai ASC.
He was like it happens all the time.

After watching i'm kinda skeptical about leaving my car for service at that Hyundai ASC.

@nickandre....

I tested your advice of revving upto 3K rpm before switching to next gear. I'm kinda surprised that the car was getting 1-1.5kmpl more than before. Currently i'm getting around 13-14kmpl in city. Yet to test on highway.

But revving upto 3K rpm causing more engine noise and slight vibration, which i hate.

Any advices on reducing engine noise even when revved to 4K rpm ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom