Hyundai Santro Xing XO - 7+ Years Old & Still Going Strong

Thread Starter #1
This review is dedicated to my 1086CC 2005 Model RED Sunshine Baby [clap] (wow what a Name, How do I come up with such names)

Why Santro Xing?

Back in 2005 when I had my old workhorse the all reliable, troublefree and trusted Maruti 800 STD I felt the need for a car with an AC to save me from the Delhi Summers.

I was on the look out for a car and an upgrade to M 800. Options were less so only Esteem was on my list. Somehow Esteem could not make it to my Garage. Hyundai had an offer for our Company then so decided to go for a Santro Xing. I wanted the fully loaded version so booked it and got the delivery on 30 October 2005 (See I remember the date too).

After 7.6 Years and 34000 Kms this is how my Sunshine Baby feels...

Exteriors:
My car is an XO variant (the top model of that time). It is a Metallic Red coloured and still holds that shine and once washed one can easily mistake it to be a brand new car just out of the shoroom

As a part of Diwali offer I got Sony Explod MP3 player, Gear Lock, Seat Covers with the car. I changed the ugly steel rims with hubcaps to 5 Spoke Alloys to get that "great and Sporty look”. Additional Accessories added are:
1. Rear Spoiler
2. Sports Skirting.
3. Sony 2 Subwoofers.
4. Alpine 4 Channel Amplifier with Bose Wiring.
5. TS 20 Tweeters.
6. Sill Plates.
7. Tyres Changed at 34000 Kms.

BUILD

The build quality is extremely good. Even after 7+ years it has held really well. It does not have any rattles. I have driven it in all situations, different conditions (Roads, Highways, Offroads (Villages)). I have taken it to long highway runs as well. Of course it is possible with proper maintenance which I have ensured it gets.

Interiors, space and comfort:

The car has ample space for 4 occupants, with an occasional medium sized fifth passenger thrown in. In fact, it is one of the first cars in India with a theater style tall rear seat for easy entry and exit. The entry point is high and it means that you sit on them rather than in them.

Two up, the seat is very comfortable but on squeezing a third person, the comfort levels drop but not drastically.

Headroom is phenomenal and the seats are placed high so seldom you need to stretch your legs. I and my family members are 5.7" or less so interiors are spacious for us.

The dashboard is big car like and has slider controls and there’s not much storage space other than a small glove box and a couple of knick-knack spaces on the right side of the stereo console. The gear console has 2 small sized half-a-litre bottle holders and the driver’s seat is provided with a seat-under-tray which helps in keeping valuables away from prying eyes.

However, the best part of the interiors is the material quality and fit and finish, easily the best in its class (during 2005).

Engine, gearbox and performance:

This is one area where the car really shines, the Engine is Zippy below 120KMPH but makes a lot of noise above 120KMPH but how often will you use that on India roads. But remember it never runs out of breath, only starts crying (As if begging Suman it is dangerous dont overspeed, Slow down)

One thing I like about the Engine is as soon as you start it when the RPM is high it makes sound similar to that of Sports cars (the Vrrrroom Vrrrroom type).

Acceleration through the gears is simply amazing. The Engine is so zippy that you will not realize when you reached 80 KMPH. The NVH levels are good. Shields 90% of the outside noise.

Regular oil changes and service schedule has kept the engine running as good as new.

The gearbox complements the engine perfectly and shift quality is butter smooth even today.

Fuel efficiency:

This is the mileage that I have been getting using regular grade 87 octane fuel:
  • High Speed Driving - Around 12 KMPL
  • Sedate City driving - Around 15 Kmpl
  • Conservative driving - Around 17 KMPL
The Mileage I have mentioned is achieved even now after 7+ years.

I have ensured all Services are done well on time. I get the servicin done from the A.S.S. There was one instance when I got it serviced from my trusted mechanic but I did not feel good about it. It was not smooth. I was later told that during the Service the A.S.S does the health checks with computers, So since then I have been getting it services only in A.S.S.

Ride, handling and braking:

The car's suspension is stiff which conributes to its stable ride but makes the ride really bumpy. The brakes are spongy but really effective. There is some body roll due to its tallboy design but it is well controlled. I never felt loosing controls at high speeds.

To Sum it up

This car has been my loyal companion and never let me down (There was a period of 2 years when I did not get it serviced but still never gave away... SOmetimes I am so lazy [frustration]). I think I will keep this car for my entire life. Once the car looses its road worthiness it will go to my Garage and stay there as a collection and one day (say after 50 years or so) my children will participate in Vintage Car Rally ith a 2005 Santro Xing.. Am I dreaming too much [lol]...

Drive Safe.

Attachments

Nice writeup, the Santros came built tough and lasting fit and finish!
Please keep the thread updated. Also post interior pics.

This is exactly my Santro, same year, same variant, same color, and gives the same mileage.

Except that it has run 46,000 Kms. I take it out for yearly maintenance. And like yourself, I missed servicing it for almost 1.5 years..!!

glad to see another enthusiast, with same experience and feedback as myself..!!

Wow your car looks cool..

Is the color faded on the body kit ? Also please try to get the hub caps of the alloys it would make your car look better.

The car looks like it is in good condition for a 7 year old car. But the skirting looks out of place. It is due to the difference in colour I guess. Get it painted the same colour as the body and it should look good. Right now it kinda looks odd.

Yeah Santro Xing is a great car to rely, depend and drive. I own a 2013 Xing, and even after 7.5 years it's holding as good as new. Saved 5 of we colleagues and a 4 year old kid in a rear-ending incident with 2008 Skoda Octavia near Ramanathapuram, on our way back to Chennai from Rameswaram, on 15th August 2016, and thanks to its build quality.

The mighty D segment Skoda Octavia's rear bumper got hanging down, rear parking sensor and camera were finished, when my Santro Xing left RR headlight clamp broke, the front bumper slightly tore off, number plate got bent, and a visible damage could be seen on the front left HL area. I didn't spend a rupee to repair it since there was no significant damage to shell or radiator or any other part.

That's the mighty Santro. Had it bee a Maruti Swift or Alto, we 5 with the kid would definitely have been in hospital..

Top Bottom