Hyundai Santro Sportz AMT (2018): Test Drive Review

Thread Starter #1
Hi Readers

Hope you are doing fine.

Have been eager all these months awaiting the Hyundai Santro 2018 and finally it came. Out of my busy schedules, I could, with great effort, pull out time to TD an AMT Santro Sportz version from FPL Hyundai - Mogappair Ambattur in Chennai.

Initial Impression: AMT Sportz

Pros / Positive Points and Observations:

> Exteriors remind us of Grand i10 first avtaar, though Santro is smaller in size.
> Refined engine, 4 cyl BS VI (as told by rep), 1.1L Petrol.
> Engine is Peppy in city traffic.
> AMT is not that lethargic as presumed.
> Very negligible jerk while the transmission shifting from D1 to D2 in Automatic (Drive) mode, which can be mitigated by promptly lifting foot off accelerator at about 10 -12 kmpl, though needs some practice to get used to.
> D2 to D3 didn't have any noticeable jerks, I couldn't smell when it shifted from 2 to 3.
> Didn't try reverse though.
> In the 3 kms of city traffic ride (at 6.45-7 pm in Ambattur Estate area) in Chennai, I couldn't let the transmission to shift beyond D3. But D3 was a charm to drive.
> No power lag felt during the 3 km drive.
> Rep was very professional and guiding.
> Rep had enough knowledge about the car, technically and feature wise.
> Hyundai has not started delivering cars till now, so the rep couldn't get me the real time on road mileage the car delivers in practical life, however ARAI shows 20.3 kmpl.
> Music system was decent, though not that extraordinary to mention.
> Excellent rear leg room, I swear, I was amazed to be in the rear seat with front driver seat completely pushed back, I had more than enough leg room at the exact rear seat for my kneed, which is awesome and my Kudos to Hyundai for this feature alone in Santro - kudos kudos

Some cons / disappointments I felt (personally), however you may differ in your opinions when you drive or have driven:

> Unacceptable bring-down of the front power window switch from driver right side door armrest panel to gear shifter console, which has brought down the overall image of the car, like a poor man's car.... (Remember the same thing was criticised in Tata Nano). This position of the power window switches were accepted in the ages of Indica eV2, at that time perspective, but not now. I guess, the Hyundai designer who took this decision of bringing down the PW switches to gear console might have had a hefty quarrel with his wife that morning and he was mentally sick when he decided to change position of the switches. Pathetic for a Hyundai car.

> Boot is drastically reduced to 225 L, when the prior Hyundai Santro I drive has around 294-300L boot space. Why did Hyundai concentrate more on degrading existing features from the prior gen Santro. Hyundai shouldn't have named it as Santro then, I swear. I got a EON-ic feeling on the above two turn-downs.

> Steering wheel is tad small in size, and doesn't give me a feel of driving an A2 segment car. I feel like driving a very small car, say something similar to Alto 800, which I and my wife call as toy-car [frustration]

> Exorbitant pricing of the car in the segment. Should've been more properly fitted. Top end Asta manual costs 6.40L on road in Chennai and how many would be happy with this pricing? I would rather think of picking up a one down Grand i10, won't I ?

> Manual Asta (top end) and AMT Sportz (top less one), are almost equally priced (Asta manual - 6.4L abnd Sportz AMT - 6.39L).

> I, on the face, suggested the rep that the prices be brought down by another 45-55k and then it would be a VFM buy.

> More astonished to see that the Dlite variant (Non AC [evil]), costs 4.62 L on road.

No other major cons observed.

Comparision with my 2013 Santro Xing

> downsized boot (225L from a 294L)
> brought-down power window switches from driver right armrest to gear console.
> very small steering wheel.
> a small car feel, say something EON-ish.
> no big car feel, or high seating position or clear road view as in my 2013 Santro

My verdict:

Had an idea of upgrading to an AMT, however after TDing yesterday, I feel my 2013 Santro is better for the below reasons:
> my car gives a big car feel, little SUVish kind of.
> bold erect sitting position, elder people-friendly, which is a lack in 2018 Santro.
> smaller boot cannot accomodate my 1300+ kms round trip to my native Tuticorin from Chennai with Tiruchendoor visit.

As such, I am not going with this car based on my personal preference

Whom this car would suit the best?

This car is an excellent package (except VFM factor) for the people whose requirements are:

> Daily city commuting, with less than 50 kms of daily travelling.
> AMT for those who need that city drive comfort without clutching and gearing in traffic.
> A good entry level family car for anyone upgrading from a two wheeler or buying his first car
> For ones who want to own a hassle free and fuss free simple but feature rich car in the segment (however, pricing is not favorable though [lol]).

Who shouldn't or wouldn't buy this car ?
> Mr. Kumar......... you heard it right.
> one who wants occasional road trip with family along with mid level or more luggage on board.
> ones who want to have at aleast a minimal big car feel - a clear no no for then (go for Grant i10 within the same budget with less one variant)
> ones who want a premium feel in their car, though small.

Well, my dear readers, all above is my personal-most opinion. There are many happy customers with the test drive, whom I met at FPL Hyundai yesterday. There was a family who were extremely happy with a Sports Manual and booked one then and there. So no offence to any such happy customer.

Expectations and satisfaction factors differ from you and me and hence nothing is 100% perfect and nothing is 100% imperfect as well.

If I had hurt any Santro lovers' emotions here, I do apologize. I personally am a Santro lover who bought Santro in 2013, one fo the last few batches, and am enjoying till today, though very low running of 32000 kms. Believe me Santro is being used by me as a mini SUV on petrol in all highway runs (700+ one way) without any niggles. My 31000 kms service was done in Rs. 2,650.00 with regular oil, oil filter, air filter, petrol filter replacements; brake cleaning, spar plug cleaning and water wash.
I had it done from an FNG and sourced original Hyundai parts from Hyundai Mobis in Ambattur and water washed it in another water wash station.

The car is still a charm. And of course the new Santro would be, but for the hefty price tag and little de-graded features.

Howver, new Santro's engine and AMT is a gem, believe me, next to Honda City's. You'll never regret buying one, once you make a midset to compromise the Cons I experienced, and not necessarily all these cons for me are cons for you.

Happy Drives Safe Miles. Wear Seat Belt. Make your family to.

Happy Diwali in advance

Regards
Kumar

Re: Test Drive Review - Hyundai Santro Sportz AMT 2018

Grand I10 Asta Petrol costs about Rs. 6.3-6.4 lakhs on road after all the discounts. I wonder why will any one chose Santro Asta over GI10 Asta. Add Rs. 40K-50K and one can get Xcent SX Petrol.

On second note, I have heard that offers worth Rs. 50K have started in Santro. Though I doubt this, but still I think this is a usual strategy of Hyundai to price its car high and then give discount to bring the prices at par with competition.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

They won't give discounts this early but their discount strategy really works. They easily give 70-90k discounts around the year on the grand i10. Some are happy with 40k , some with 50k and rest all dealer margin. By giving extra 50k grand i10 asta should be the obvious choice.

Nairrk

Honoured Member

Regarding power window switch shifted from driver right side door armrest panel to gear shifter console - looks like they might have copied this from Alto K10 which also has the same arrangement[roll]

Happy to hear about the Slick AMT developed In-house by Hyundai.

The Gear console mounted "Non-Backlit" Power Window switches are a major bummer, so are the Flap type door Handles (Hyundai says they are cues of the old Santro).
How much money have Hyundai saved with these measures?

Hyundai is eyeing huge profit with the Santro, well why not to, After all it has the Hyundai Brand backing and a Name with a Legacy.

But well, On road prices are a bit on the higher side considering the AMT in Sportz trim doesn't even have a Passenger Airbag even as a Option.
As well as no Alloy wheels on the Asta although that does not bother me.
What left me disappointed was the styling specially the front grill.

At the current introductory pricing (for the 50000 buyers) already I feel its better to upgrade to the Grand i10 magna (Things will get even more close in case of EMI) but not everyone would feel so.

But overall, Santro will have a good presence in the sales charts.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
Grand I10 Asta Petrol costs about Rs. 6.3-6.4 lakhs on road after all the discounts. I wonder why will any one chose Santro Asta over GI10 Asta. Add Rs. 40K-50K and one can get Xcent SX Petrol.

On second note, I have heard that offers worth Rs. 50K have started in Santro. Though I doubt this, but still I think this is a usual strategy of Hyundai to price its car high and then give discount to bring the prices at par with competition.

1). Grand i10 Asta, AFAIK in Chennai, OTR crosses 7.6 L (manual transmission).
2). I was told by the Sales Advisor / Executive that there is NO DISCOUNT on the new Santro as of now. No exchange bonus and no loyalty bonus even if I exchange my 2013 Santro.

Again, I am not sure how the OTR of Grand i10 Asta varies by a lakh in our opinions and why there is a difference in the discounts on new Santro.

BTW where are you put up?

Regards
Kumar

Regarding power window switch shifted from driver right side door armrest panel to gear shifter console - looks like they might have copied this from Alto K10 which also has the same arrangement[roll]
Agreed with your point, but can we compare the prices of the two?

Santro 2018 6.4L OTR Chennai vs some 5+L OTR for Alto K10 in Chennai ? They don't even go together in segments, i.e., 4 pot vs 3 pot.

Happy to hear about the Slick AMT developed In-house by Hyundai.

The Gear console mounted "Non-Backlit" Power Window switches are a major bummer, so are the Flap type door Handles (Hyundai says they are cues of the old Santro).
How much money have Hyundai saved with these measures?

Hyundai is eyeing huge profit with the Santro, well why not to, After all it has the Hyundai Brand backing and a Name with a Legacy.

But well, On road prices are a bit on the higher side considering the AMT in Sportz trim doesn't even have a Passenger Airbag even as a Option.
As well as no Alloy wheels on the Asta although that does not bother me.
What left me disappointed was the styling specially the front grill.

At the current introductory pricing (for the 50000 buyers) already I feel its better to upgrade to the Grand i10 magna (Things will get even more close in case of EMI) but not everyone would feel so.

But overall, Santro will have a good presence in the sales charts.

[clap] Agreed with all your points. OTR quoted is only in Chennai, no clue about other cities like Bangalore. [confused]

[clap] Agreed with all your points. OTR quoted is only in Chennai, no clue about other cities like Bangalore. [confused]
Dealerships have the habit of adding some stuff to the Registration and Insurance charges to push up the On-Road Prices and many unsuspecting customers don't even ask for the On-Road price breakdown. This will be the exact route used by the Hyundai Dealerships to create a price gap between Santro and Grand i10.

No Exchange Bonus and Loyalty Bonus is such a Backstabbing like attitude from Hyundai to previous Santro owners if it happens to be true.

Lastly, I am sick and tired of the Compromises forced upon Automatic Car buyers, I love driving a manual car only if the car is fun to drive, Not on a Commuter.
Hyundai is specially infamous for fumbling out on features variant to variant.

Power window switches on gear console , the reason is "Cost cutting".
There's no need for a separate single relay for controlling power windows in driver side.
Equidistantly placed in centre console , so anyone can control .

Its awkward in this generation of cars , still have to live with it .
The speciality of this car is gonna be the Epsillon 1.1L Engine , which is making a comeback , and i doubt its mileage though , coz we had a santro 2008 XO , and it returned 15kmpl till 50k km , after that mileage was 12-13kmpl (Clutch was changed at 50k , 88k resply ) and the vehicle was sold off in 2014 , to pave way for Verna 2014 petrol [:)]

Thread Starter #9

Power window switches on gear console , the reason is "Cost cutting".
There's no need for a separate single relay for controlling power windows in driver side.
Equidistantly placed in centre console , so anyone can control .

Its awkward in this generation of cars , still have to live with it .
The speciality of this car is gonna be the Epsillon 1.1L Engine , which is making a comeback , and i doubt its mileage though , coz we had a santro 2008 XO , and it returned 15kmpl till 50k km , after that mileage was 12-13kmpl (Clutch was changed at 50k , 88k resply ) and the vehicle was sold off in 2014 , to pave way for Verna 2014 petrol [:)]
Thanks for the technical stuff on relay requirement. And yes, you're right in stating that the power window switches on gear console is an outdated fashion, and current generation cars coming out with such filthy ergonomics is the bad shape of projection Hyundai is giving.

Mine is also a 2013 Epsilon 1.1, that used to power the first gen tall top i10's in the past. The engine is kind of good and powerful, though the city mileage with full AC would be somewhere between 12-12.5 kmpl, with 50-50 AC around 14 kmpl and with 0% AC in city alone ride (Chennai, including b2b), around 15 kmpl.

Highway runs have returned varing from 15.5 kmpl (when the speed maxed to 145 kmph) ; to 19.37 kmpl (highway Chennai to Turicorin, clean road 6 lane, top speed 95 kmph, gentle acceleration input, 98% AC on).

After the test drive last evening, I asked the SA to open the car again and show me the MID, which showed 10.4 kmpl, and the odo showed 168 kms, perhaps they hadn't reset the trip meter. Anyhow, 10.4 seems to be a very low figure, though 100% in city with 100% AC. - A bad impression though.

Anyone who have got chance to TD Santro'18, kindly post your opinions, as yours wouldn't necessarily be as similar as mine [:D]

Power wise how was it , i bet it would have the old charm , as I have felt it to be tad high in power than wagon r (comparing 1.1L engine of both , wagon r 2004 had 1.1L 16valve and xing also had same), wagon r used to return 13kmpl-14 kmpl constantly , but power wise it was much low than xing.

Also adding , No offence to hyundai owners , Hyundai Petrol engines generally tend to be low in FE .

Thread Starter #11

Power wise how was it , i bet it would have the old charm , as I have felt it to be tad high in power than wagon r (comparing 1.1L engine of both , wagon r 2004 had 1.1L 16valve and xing also had same), wagon r used to return 13kmpl-14 kmpl constantly , but power wise it was much low than xing.

Also adding , No offence to hyundai owners , Hyundai Petrol engines generally tend to be low in FE .

Engine is abudantly powered for city drive. No power lag felt in Drive mode, till D3.

No idea of the same on open roads and highways, as I was given the previlege to drive less than 3 km in evening Chennai city traffic near Mugappair and Ambattur area[:D]

No complaints on the power, engine refinement, and transmission part, it's a great collection as such.

1). Grand i10 Asta, AFAIK in Chennai, OTR crosses 7.6 L (manual transmission).

Again, I am not sure how the OTR of Grand i10 Asta varies by a lakh in our opinions and why there is a difference in the discounts on new Santro.

BTW where are you put up?

Regards
Kumar
2 of my colleagues bought Grand I10 in 2018.
Sportz [O] Petrol in Jan 2018 @ Rs. 5.78 Lakhs on road and Asta Petrol @ 6.5 Lakhs on road in Apr 2018. In both cases I went with them to purchase the car. In both cases we were able to extract about Rs. 1 Lakh discount from dealer.
I am based in Bhopal [M.P.]

Thread Starter #13

Sportz [O] Petrol in Jan 2018 @ Rs. 5.78 Lakhs on road and Asta Petrol @ 6.5 Lakhs on road in Apr 2018. In both cases I went with them to purchase the car. In both cases we were able to extract about Rs. 1 Lakh discount from dealer.

Bhopal is the answer. Probably the taxes and other handling charges differ in Chennai, i.e, from city to city. You would be surprised to know Bangloreans pay more than the Chennai ites for automotives.. [confused][roll]

[surprise]
Way back in 2015, the Hyundai Grand i10 Sportz we bought costed Rs 5.95 Lakh. Didn't have much info of Car buying back then but now when I look back, I realized, Dealerships Blow up the prices without any justifications given and People are ignorant enough to pay without any questions, which makes you a outsider if you start questioning on On-Road Price breakdown. Even other customers end up terming it as being Miser or Oversmart.

Engine is abudantly powered for city drive. No power lag felt in Drive mode, till D3.

No idea of the same on open roads and highways, as I was given the previlege to drive less than 3 km in evening Chennai city traffic near Mugappair and Ambattur area[:D]

No complaints on the power, engine refinement, and transmission part, it's a great collection as such.
Heard about the New Santro having tall gearing. Which will make the drive smooth and Acceleration Linear but might suffer in In-Gear Acceleration times. Hyundai has tuned the Engine and Gearbox for smooth commuting

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15

[surprise]
Way back in 2015, the Hyundai Grand i10 Sportz we bought costed Rs 5.95 Lakh. Didn't have much info of Car buying back then but now when I look back, I realized, Dealerships Blow up the prices without any justifications given and People are ignorant enough to pay without any questions, which makes you a outsider if you start questioning on On-Road Price breakdown. Even other customers end up terming it as being Miser or Oversmart.

Heard about the New Santro having tall gearing. Which will make the drive smooth and Acceleration Linear but might suffer in In-Gear Acceleration times. Hyundai has tuned the Engine and Gearbox for smooth commuting

Oh..

Since I could drive only yhr AMT avtaar, not sure about gearing as of now. Would try to get hold of an Asta manual for a TD again.

Regards
Kumar

Top Bottom