Hyundai India Plant Tour For TAI-gers: 21 March 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice write up Anand. Thanks for sharing.
All in all it was a memorable trip. Only thing we missed is pics, atleast in front of the plant (that too was not allowed)[cry] .
These are the only pics I took.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sorry guys. Could n't write anything here as of now. had some problem in office (one of the production server conked off and had to work on it) which eat-up my time from yesterday afternoon. just reached home. Hope fully by tomorrow I will try to write something here.

About the plant:
The plant is spread over 535acres, its located on the highway itself, near the Motorola factory.
stay tuned..
ss80 had covered up most of the points. I would like to share a few.

1.) Meet with their MD (Mr. Bo Shin Seo) was unscheduled and unexpected which was not in their agenda.
2.) Employees are given 7 mins (tea) + 30 min (Lunch) + 7 mins (tea) of total break.
3.) There are few relievers in each plant who can take up others work in case someone needs to go for restroom, sick, leave etc. These people are trained to do any work on their respective plant.
4.) Their Body shop is almost fully automated with Robots. We could hardly see a couple of employees inside it.
5.) We were not allowed to visit the paint shop. (This is the case with most other manufacturers too if i am not wrong). This plant is fully covered.
6.) As per Hyundai, 100% of all the manufactured cars are driven and tested for faults.
7.) Hyundai is planning to launch their compact SUV during September/October 2015. I think it might be a festive launch.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Had a very very memorable trip, Thanks a lot to all the people who joined and made it memorable one. Astonished to see the cars manufactured with so many robots with such a minimal human interventions.

Anand, fantastic coverage there, you said it all.

One sad thing was we bangaluru guys could not join for the lunch with all the members due to the time constraint as it was a festival back home and also we all had hardly a sleep the previous night, sorry on that.

After a long long time, met most of the members and special thanks to sethu sir for co-ordinating at the plant with the officials of hyundai plant.

Last edited:
Really it seems awesome trip and useful visit. i think i missed the opportunity. i will try to join on next visit if any.

Thanks to all to share the experience and photos.[:)]

I'm the one who badly missed the meet[cry]

Atleast I had a chance to meet our Bangalore guys. Nice meeting you guys.

Anyways, As Vibhor said, there will events in future and I'll be the first person to attend the event.

Hi All,

The trip was really awesome and informative too. Had a very good time with the Team TAI. I was the lone person from Kerala who made this trip.

One thing the Hyundai Team should have done is they could split the team into 3 groups and allocate three of their employees to each group so that it will be easy to explain each and every step.

The problem we had was we were walking in the queue and the Hyundai employee was either at the front or end of the queue.

The person was answering our questions in a detailed manner and where ever he had doubts he made sure that the queries were solved by getting help from particular department head.

As far as my journey was concerned, I had a very tight schedule. My train was to reach Chennai central by 5.50 AM and as usual reached by 06.45 AM. I thought I could not make this trip with you all.I already received strict order from Sethu Sir that I should get ready in formals in the train itself no matter whether I take bath or not [lol] . But Sethu Sir has taken all the pains and picked me up from the Central station itself and thus I could reach the plant on time.

I got a drop back to Chennai central in Ramnathan's Getz. Thank you for that too.

Again I thank you the Team TAI for arranging such a nice trip and I am looking forward for more similar events.

Sarath it was nice talking to you, plz do share the ownership experience of your figo on a thread here. It will be an eye opener for some people who always thought Figo/any ford car is too costly to maintain (I too was thinking the same, till I met you). Thanks for making it up for the meet. See you soon.

It was a good opportunity to meet up with members as this was my first meet with TAI-gers. I met up with Dhaya, Abhi, Sethu ji Dr. Surender, Ram, Sharath, Aniruthan, Gandhi, Jerwin, Karthik, Krish, Bhuvan, Varun....I could recollect only these names.
Thanks guys for the company[:)]. Didn't feel like meeting up for the first time, you guys made me feel comfortable...
Hoping to have a get together soon to know each other better.

Thanks for TAI admin team for arranging the visit. Thanks to Dhaya and Sethuji for co-ordinating the visit.[clap]

Last edited:
Hello Guys,

Late to bump into this thread, please excuse me.

The plant visit was a success and the whole experience went butter smooth than I expected (with the initial hooplas we went through)

Key highlights that I'd experienced in the trip:

*Had a small amount of sleep but was resting for long time before we started off in midnight in the eve of Plant visit.

*Varun's remapped Enjoy was a great companion for me in the journey as i was behind the steering Wheel for most of the journey time, was amusing me very much and was making me compare between his and my stock Enjoy as he had installed better tyres.

*Meeting Appu on the way was enjoyable as he contributed his precious early hour (5:00 am) towards meeting us in his busy schedule, I liked his Vista very much as i drove it to the hotel parkway, it didn't feel like it has done 73k but the clutch was hard and when i enquired the same with Appu and alas! It's still stock clutch and he's sustained it!!! Really a commendable driving Appu!! Kudos. Member by real name pradeep joined us

*Had breakfast at the Virundali hotel en route the plant, neverthiless to mention the food was great and all our members were busy in conversations such that we forgot to keep with the time as it was 7:50 on the clock already,Gosh we actually had to rush as we were 36kms behind the plant.

*Member Gandhi and Pradeep knew the plant and we were tailing Gandhi's car and we saw him take a right turn towards the plant, quite unsure about the place we paced slowly, but saw all those Chennai member cars parked towards the roadside and then reached the destination.

*Saw many welcoming Chennai members and had a quick shake-hands with many and then checked with Sethu Sir for the remaining members.

*After Gathering near the gate, we were accompanied by the representative in their bus until the meeting hall, where we settled for an intro, movie and briefing.

Suddenly we saw a fairly tall man who rushed towards the screen and introduced himself (who was Mechanical head of the Chennai plant) and started delivering his company's background, workstations situated at different places and all.

Such a nice gesture from this person making way into the gathering room and good speech created a curiosity to learn more on the manufacturer.

After his exit, we were shown the videos and pictures of the Hyundai company overall,mostly of the Chennai plant covering many many aspects inside the plant as clearly explained by SS80 in the previous posts.

*We then board the bus to the huge assembly plant, slowly started to walk and saw those robots in full swing and merrily welding all the body panels, doors chassis build etc,etc.

*Soon after we came out on the other side of the assembly plant, we saw our bus waiting to take us for the mechanicals assembly point where the body reaches here after it comes from paint booth (nobody is allowed in paint booth as it's an inflammatory;dustfree area) we saw the workers assembling many parts like doors,dashboards,engines,tyres etc.

*The duration was for good three hours and we were eager to see many places as mentioned but due to company's policies we were allowed to the mentioned places, yet we had great fun and knowledge and the trip was well worth visiting.

*We then had a quick chat and members from Bangalore started returning and Chennai people went for a lunch as Bangalore members spent the whole night travelling, we were tired and wanted to hit the sack as soon as we reached our respective places.

* Had lunch on the way and then Taximeter and Karthikeyan took alternative route as their homes were nearby in the Chittoor route, Primo78 and Darkkid was ahead of us and then they stopped for Lunch near Ambattur. While us four had our stomachs growling already so we had lunch near Kanchipuram and then started returning.

*Please excuse us for not posting photos or snaps as we were strictly told not to, moreover we had very little time to chit chat and check out rides.

* Had lunch on the way and then Taximeter and Karthikeyan took alternative route as their homes were nearby in the Chittoor route, Primo78 and Darkkid was ahead of us and then they stopped for Lunch near Ambattur. While us four had our stomachs growling already so we had lunch near Kanchipuram and then started returning.
Thanks for Sharing your experience Vishwas[clap]

BTW, it is Ambur, Ambattur is in Chennai. Ambur is there between Vellore and Thirupattur.

Hey guys,
Couldn't make it inside the plan due to terms and conditions [frustration]. So I thought of catching up with my dear TAI friends for lunch as I was free that day. So came to the plant and was waiting out from 10:45 and only one useful thing which I did was spotting the iX 25 compact SUV. Then caught up with the members and it was quiet a pity that I couldn't meet and interact with the KA TAI Members [cry], but later understood that they did not catch enough sleep and had a festival in Karnataka. So no problem KA members let's catch up at another meet. Then we TN members formed a convoy and caught up for Lunch in Anjappar and had a great Lunch. Then after a hearty lunch we bid good bye and went back to our own way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom