Hyundai India Plant Tour For TAI-gers: 21 March 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
talked to all chennai members. All set. We will be meeting at 6.30 near motel highway tomorow morning and head to Motel Highway for breakfast. then from there will move to Hyndai plant and try to be there by 8.30. some of the members are directly coming to Plant.

meet you guys there friends..

Had a nice time with all the chennai TAIgers. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to visit Hyundai Motor India, Chennai plant.[:)]

Waiting for the next meet [;)]

The plant visit was really well organized and informative. Had a really good time with our members. [:)]
We had a small Q&A session with one of their production manager. But most of the answers he gave were the same SAFE BET answers that dealers choose to give.
I had asked about steps taken by hyundai to solve problems faced in initial batch cars such as mine which had clutch,steering column and suspension issues.
To which, he said there's a team that analyses issues faced in newly launched models and these issues are taken from the feedback of owners reported at authorized
workshop and corrected in the next version of cars.
So it is safe to say that its always better not to buy an all new car right after launch. Since the recall system is not mandatory in india, Its only upto the manufacturers
decision to fix it from their pocket or blame the customer.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

Can anyone of you who attended the tour to plant may share some pics of the gathering and at-plant pics? It would be a good share for those who unfortunately couldn't join it.

Regards

Akash

Friends,

Can anyone of you who attended the tour to plant may share some pics of the gathering and at-plant pics? It would be a good share for those who unfortunately couldn't join it.

Regards

Akash
Hi Akash buddy,
Well me couldn't join the plant meet because of Terms and Conditions but since I was up there waiting for them outside, what I came to know was that photography was not allowed in plant but after the meet we took a group pic but since I don't have it right now, I have three selfies after the meet[glasses].

Attachments

The plant visit was really well organized and informative. Had a really good time with our members. [:)]
We had a small Q&A session with one of their production manager. But most of the answers he gave were the same SAFE BET answers that dealers choose to give.
I had asked about steps taken by hyundai to solve problems faced in initial batch cars such as mine which had clutch,steering column and suspension issues.
To which, he said there's a team that analyses issues faced in newly launched models and these issues are taken from the feedback of owners reported at authorized
workshop and corrected in the next version of cars.
So it is safe to say that its always better not to buy an all new car right after launch. Since the recall system is not mandatory in india, Its only upto the manufacturers
decision to fix it from their pocket or blame the customer.
Unfortunately that QA Manager had no answer for you queries. Too sad that you had to spend on clutch and axel too early. Akash we were not allowed to even carry a camera mobile.

Hi all,

A million thanks to 350Z, Sethu Sir and every one who made this happen.

First let me upload a few pics then I have a lot to type.

On the way (1).jpg

On the way (2).jpg

On the way (3).jpg

On the way (4).jpg
Vishal's Fortuner
On the way (5).jpg
Karthik's Eco Sport (Diesel)
IMG-20150321-WA0020.jpg

IMG-20150321-WA0019.jpg

IMG-20150321-WA0036.jpg

IMG-20150321-WA0030.jpg

Last edited:
Hyundai plant visit - a short story

From Bangalore there were 4 cars with 9 members who came to the plant.

1. Chevy Enjoy 1.3 MJD - Varun, Girish, Vishwas & Me (Anand/SS80)
Degree coffee (1).jpg
2. Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D - Vishal & Raam
IMG-20150321-WA0012.jpg
3. Ford Ecosport 1.5 TDCi - Karthik & Balaji
IMG_20150321_063324019_HDR.jpg
4. Honda City i-Dtec 1.5 - Gandhi
(sorry sir dint click a pic)
The enjoy reached E.city toll gate and we waited for rest of members to join, within 5mins we had Karthik and Balaji, then in another 5mins Vishal & Raam. We had a quick intro, then we checked with Gandhi, who was on his way so we started off towards hosur and we had out first break @ the Mc.Donald (Shoolagiri, next to Coffee day & petrol bunk) and spent about an hour talking various topics starting modded tail lamps, Xuv alloy issues, remapping effects and goes on.

Gandhi joined us @ the break and we got to see his HID kit and then we moved on. We took a short 5mins break after Krishnagiri (not sure exact name of the place) and then we reached Vellore, where Appu (Vinoth) came in his Vista and greeted all of us.

A special thanks to Appu for meeting all of us, despite the busy marriage schedule of his cousin. We all had some strong Coffge and tea and Pradeep joined us in Vellore.

We all drove towards Chennai and took a break @ Virundhaali hotel (a good suggestion by Gandhi sir), freshened up and quite funny scenes of changing dress in cars[lol] and then we all reached Chennai.

About the plant:
The plant is spread over 535acres, its located on the highway itself, near the Motorola factory.
We were greeted by 2Hyundai staffs who took us in the bus to the PR room (a small auditorium kind of place), where their MD (forgot his name - a Korean national) met us. Gave us a short briefing about his experience in Hyundai (30+yrs!). He also mentioned that Hyundai although is a bit more pricey than competition, they never drop their quality to drop the price.

We saw a ppt and a short video too.

Some facts about the plant:
1. Every 72secs a car is rolled out of the production line
2. About 8500 employees work at the plant
3. About 90% of employees are Indians, key positions in factory are held by Indians like COO etc
4. The whole plant has its own roads, internal use cars, traffic signals with timers, traffic coordinators at most of the signals, no pot holes ([:D]), lots of open space, its own testing track too.
5. They manage to recycle almost all of the water they use inside the factory, they have huge rain water harvesting ponds, one of the largest inhouse pond in ASIA.
6. Most of the entry level engines are made at the Chennai plant, some are imported from Korea as per business needs and sales numbers. They have their own foundry at the plant too.
7. Employees are sent to Korea for training every year, also before a car is launched a batch of (roughly about 40employees) are sent Korea for product training.
8. We also got to know a few things about their initiatives to train uneducated youth to become drivers etc, they also manage train and get jobs not only within Hyundai, also with their Vendors.
9. Most of Hyundai's vendors are located within 50kms, 100kms and 150kms of the factory location.
10. Their stockyard can park upto 40,000 cars
11. The factory makes both Left hand drive and Right hand drive cars.
12. We got to see Eurpean spec I10 with different alloys and I guess they were 14" ones

stay tuned..

All i can say about the last statement- no matter how much the advertise it, they dont sell the same car abroad as in India

Ameyam

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom