Hyundai i20 (i-Gen) Sportz Crdi Ownership Review

Thread Starter #61
Hyundai i20 (i-Gen) Sportz Crdi Ownership Review,underbody damage,oil sump,fuel line

Unscheduled service & repair after mishap with under-body @ 33,475 kms

The Story-This was around March & i was bored. At night my friend who had returned from his late night office shift had a few days holiday,so we decided to drive to Coorg.We left on a slow 220km journey stopping on the way at cafe,it was pretty relaxed,also very economical drive,car had a full tank when leaving Bangalore. The idea was we could stay in Coorg & watch the Cricket World cup.

By the time i reached Coorg it was around 5:45am,was driving through a forest road at barely under 10-20km/hr. The i20 has a soft jiggly suspension & the car started to rock & i guess this made the suspension see-saw lower. Along with more than half tank of fuel & some luggage in the boot this was more pronounced. Then a sickening grind the quietness of the journey was shattered.
I knew immediately it was a major contact. I upped the pace to reach the destination which was 200 metres away. I could smell oil,drove faster,then i see the oil light come on with 100 metres left. It was still dark & i dint want to take chance with some wild elephants which famously trash people until they are dead. I ask my friend to open the gate while keeping my ears on the engine note which still sounds normal. Then drove at medium speed to the place & idled the car for like 10sec & slowly noticed engine slapping (similar sound to a Di jeep engine) at which point i turned off the engine. I wanted to idle as its good for turbo cooling but the cylinder slapping noise at the final switch off left me disturbed whether i damaged the engine[confused].

roky road.jpg

Now i get down from the car & notice little oil dripping & i knew the engine oil sump was gone. I contacted some one at Kodagu/Coorg Hyundai early morning & then i noticed alot of fluid from the rear left. I was puzzled. The workers tell me its diesel. All paranoia sets in, i asked some buckets of water to be kept in standby & along with a pipe to water if chance of fire. A vessel is kept under the leak area to capture the near 20 litres of fuel.
The fuel line which comes from the fuel tank from the rear to the front engine was damaged & was leaking!

I send pictures on whatsapp to the Hyundai people in Coorg(Madikeri) & i get a horror story that insurance wont cover these[surprise] . Then when i spoke to someone in Bangalore Hyundai service center they said it can be covered. Then i get reason that Hyundai in Coorg does not have an authorized body shop so insurance cant be claimed for repairs, they only do service.
After speaking to a friend i thought best bet is to have car towed to Mysore 80kms away which has all the facilities & thats what i did. It wasnt a flat bed truck but a Tata 207 with a lift winch. Car was taken slowly to Mysore & it sat there for good 20 days till all work was complete due to some holidays & delay in parts.I paid 1200 rupees for the towing which was sent by Hyundai.

fuel line leak.jpg sump side view.jpg

sumpp frnt view.jpg

The debriefing- The advisor tells me that he has seen damage in engines which are driven without oil but car can be driven safely for upto a km once oil sump is cracked as some oil will still be stuck on the engine. Also as car cooled noticed oil was still dripping out some hours later so they told me most probably noting can happen in such short amount of time.
They tell me metal under body has some scraped marks & fuel tank has been knocked a bit out of place but no major reason to change. Later for safety reasons they said we will change it.

The expense !

Parts & consumables

1) Under chasris coating (1) =1360
2) Hyundai genuine engine oil,(5.3 litre),269.8 per litre = 1430.1
3) Consumables (care plus) (1) = 253.3
4) Tube-fuel return (1) = 819.8
5) Protector fuel tube (1) +210.2
6) Protector fuel line fro (1) =607
7) Tube fuel feed (1) = 976.9
8) Tank assy fuel (1) = 5261.4
9) Panel side cover,LH (1) = 229.8
10) Panel side cover,RH (1) = 229.8
11) Panel assy under cover (1) = 194.8
12) Service Kit oil filter (1) = 400.1
13) Pan assy engine oil (1) =7901.9
14) Gasket liquid engine (1) = 1076.3

Labour & services

1) Body paint charges (1) = 2100
2) Denting/repairing charges (1) = 3920
3) Wheel alignment (1) = 425

31,936+5618 = 36936, Insurance paid 21,233 = 15,703
Extra charges
Interior cleaning + Durowax (1) = 1823.4,after tax =2033
Diesel filled 9.31 litres = 500

Final impression- Was very happy engine is running normal & the test they performed showed everything was normal. They lifted the car up & later had the front plastic cover added which wasnt placed well & cracked a thousand kms later. I felt things were on the expensive side & maybe some parts dint need changing. End of the day i get attached to my cars & have decided to keep them past lakh of kms. Seeing this story one can imagine why cars like Eco sport & Duster are a hit. Its just down to the ground clearance which can save you alot of headache & expense in this case. I have made up my mind that next addition into garage should be an SUV or with similar ground clearance.
Sorry i updated this very late, my car is at 41000kms now as i type this. Decided will get car serviced at 43000kms as engine oil was changed at 33475kms due to this incident.

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
that's a big incident. and even i have faced this type of bottoming out in verna but didn't have any damage. you think you are driving very cautiously and slow and then bam the car goes down because of the suspesnion.

and that road seems very dangerous and you did the right thing not stopping there. well you couldn't have seen anything in the dark.

anyways why didn't the insurance didn't cover the whole expense ? you don't have zero dep ?

Thread Starter #63
that's a big incident. and even i have faced this type of bottoming out in verna but didn't have any damage. you think you are driving very cautiously and slow and then bam the car goes down because of the suspesnion.
Ya bro i think i was barely doing 10kms/hr,the front bumper never made contact,because of jumping action on bumpy road, first point of contact was the oil sump & from there the carnage happened till the fuel tank.
Even at 10kms/hr speed you travel at more than 7feet per sec. So from the moment the oil sump scrapped the rock to the fuel tank area it was less than a sec. So no way i could have reacted or stopped in time.I was coasting in half clutch in first gear with no throttle.

After i experienced this heard lots of stories from other people who had cracked oil sumps! Not a rare thing in India no doubt!

and that road seems very dangerous and you did the right thing not stopping there. well you couldn't have seen anything in the dark.
Well i have walked through that forest during the day some years back,its not a dense forest but in the dark its a different story. Around two weeks before this a lady was killed by an elephant at a junction which i crossed with the oil leaking. So with news of a rogue elephant in mind,I would have most probably shut the engine & waited for daylight which was 20 mins away. But luckily oil leaked majorly only when i reached the gate at good speed & car jerked under braking.
Also to add to the tension was news of Leopards & especially Tigers being relocated to that forest(Some thing which i dont support ,its OT though), & being a reader of some Jim Corbett books it dint add to the confidence of taking chances.
My friend was really impressed with my presence of mind & understanding of what was happening with the car. But i guess any car enthusiast would have some basic knowledge. A trader we do business with sent his few months old car for me to use, which reduced my stress.

anyways why didn't the insurance didn't cover the whole expense ? you don't have zero dep ?
Nope dint have zero dep,just regular first party. But at that point i would have been glad for any petty sum being paid as i was irritated & just wanted the car to be repaired. And any insurance you choose only pays upto 1000 rupees for towing charges. After that its on you,A person we know had to pay 20k for having his car brought back to Bangalore on a flat bed truck. So after hearing all horror stories & an estimate of 50k which turned out to be 36k thankfully,shelling out 18k from pocket was a small price for me.
Also car was in my mothers name & she was holidaying abroad. So car just sat in Coorg for like 5 days & then when she got back had mom fill up the form etc & had the car towed for repairs.

So when i got my car back it was exactly one month from incident. And it wasnt the ground clearance ,just the bouncy suspension that caused this making the car sit lower at the unfortunate moment(oil sump) & it uprooted a sharp rock from the road which rolled between the road & car underbody causing other damages.
This incident totally influenced my decision for next car to add.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #64
5th service @ 43,029kms
I had this service done in March 2016, but lost the bill. So asked for a copy recently so i can update it here.

Complaints i had
There was a small vibration sound of the plastic sort coming from the left wheel arch area.(not rectified)

Parts changed/charged
Wurth screen wash= 87.3
Engine oil 5.7 litres,269.8 per litre= 1538
Consumable=220.6
Pad kit,front disk brakes=1985.3
Filter cartridge(fuel) = 1790.2
Air filter/cleaner= 280.3
Service kit oil filter = 400.1

Total = 6301.87,tax= 47.97+881.78 = 7231.62

Labour/service charge
Periodic maintenance service = 1630
Battery check output & condition = 200
Brake pads replacement = 350
Caliper pin greasing (x 2) = 480
Fuel filter = 194

Total = 2854

Grand total = 7231.62 + 2854 = 10,086

Remarks/Feedback
Everything seems normal.Vibration sound at the time was suspected to my aftermarket mudflaps & removed. But later noticed sound still existed so will have to have wheel arch lining removed & closely looked at in next service or opportunity.Also they seemed to have missed out tax on labour charges in the bill.

Additional comments - Car has been running as it should. Feels smooth as usual.Still not a big fan of the suspension but its soft.Newer Elite i20 suspension is such a step up over this one.As for modifications ,I have spent considerable time & money trying to get a SQ music system for the car. Will try updating the pics & details this week.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #65
Tyre change & early precautionary oil change

I am updating this thread after along time,so my apologies for the delay !

Tyre damage & change at 48,000 kms

Was driving back early morning to Bangalore & was easily around 100 when a pot hole around 2 feet deep appeared in the middle of the road on a plain flat highway.The immediate BAMM of the suspension followed by a sound which felt like my right door was wobbling. I knew from many youtube videos atleast to gently coast to a stop rather than apply the brake which mite change momentum & spin the car.Luckily my instinct was just that & parked it at a safe spot.
On getting down could see the right front flat on the ground & glad to see the suspension was still in place. I had initially feared the entire front arm had come out from the impact.But luckily the tyre had taken the brunt. So for the first time in my life had to change the tyre myself.
After reaching Bangalore i began hunting for entire tyre change for the car by visiting forums. Inspecting the damaged tyre also revealed the alloy wheel had taken a slight bend also. So i arranged for a used wheel from my friends i20 which was not in use.
tireblow out.jpg
Decided to go with a popular(online atleast) tyre place.Prices are not that great & better deals can be had elsewhere. After going over some selections I decided to go with Continental CC5 in the stock size of 185/65R14.

Adding picture below of other tyre brands for i20,for the benefit of other browsers.
i20 tire selection.jpg tire alingment.jpg
After alignment & wheel balancing etc this is the total pricing(This tyre change is from 1 year ago )
185/65R14 Continental CC5 = 3864 x4 = 15,458 INR
Tubeless valve (chrome) 21.83X4 = 87INR
VAT@14.5% = 2,254 INR
Total 17,800 INR

Alignment with 20% discount 243 INR
Wheel Balancing with 20% discount 347 INR
Wheel weights sticker 0.87 grams 87 INR
Taxes 101 INR
Total = 780 INR
Grand Total 18580

Feedback about Continental comfort contact CC5
Driving for first 100 kms on these tyres were scary,i know about running in new tyres but these tyres were crazy. It felt like the car was swaying like a hanging bridge moment you cross 60km/hr. After a while the tyres are good as any , tyre wall has taken a slight burn look after climbing a foot path ,they dont seem to be as tough as the Apollo tyres but they dont seem to have a bouncing nature out of pot holes,maybe they are lighter or have softer tyre wall.

Early oil change at Shell 48,500 kms
oil change at shell UB city.jpg hx7 shell.jpg

The car was sitting alot in traffic & i wanted to get an oil change done as i felt it was idling rough even though the oil change & service was due at 53000kms. So at around 48500 kms I decided to get the oil changed at Shell next to UB City. The mistake I made & also from the staff was they drained the oil before i could go & select the oils. They had a bad selection of oils & nothing i wanted or saw online like the HX5 Diesel(API CH) was available! So annoyed & without option i went in in for the HX7 10W40(API CF) .
Have to say its the worst oil to use in a Hyundai car atleast, felt very rough in cold idle ,but it was alright once warmed up. Also over the last year i educated myself in the engine oil sector as was thinking about getting into engine oil blending sector which opened my eyes to what the chemistry of engine oils were ,compositions etc.Have to say most forums across the world are filled with fan boy propaganda or clever marketing has swayed many minds.
Needless to say i was very annoyed with the HX7 engine oil which felt inferior even to the Servo engine oils which Hyundai uses at service,also keeping in mind they use API CH rating & HX7 was CF.I had the car in for service unable to tolerate at 51000 kms.(Will update service in next post)

Last edited:
Re: Tyre change & early precautionary oil change

Hey Prads how are you doing man, it’s been very long time . Remember driving your brand new I20 at BIEC Bangalore few years back along with our fellow TAI friend mahesh as we were doing the ABS test.

Sad to note such incidents of your car but somehow I personally feel the service and spare cost of Hyundai seems to be higher side. Also I wonder I20 hit the ground so bad with the roads described by you, I have never faced such issues with my Ritz anytime so far thank god for its GC. Wish you a trouble free ride in future

Last edited:
Thread Starter #67
6th service update i20

Hey Prads how are you doing man, it’s been very long time . Remember driving your brand new I20 at BIEC Bangalore few years back along with our fellow TAI friend mahesh as we were doing the ABS test.

Sad to note such incidents of your car but somehow I personally feel the service and spare cost of Hyundai seems to be higher side. Also I wonder I20 hit the ground so bad with the roads described by you, I have never faced such issues with my Ritz anytime so far thank god for its GC. Wish you a trouble free ride in future
Hello sir, yes been long time. The ABS issue is reduced on the newer Continental tyres & noticed keeping tyre pressure at 31 PSI also helps increase grip along with comfort.
My version of i20 has a very soft suspension which tends to bounce, so the car rebounds low as of this. Newer i20(Elite) seems to have better manners. Yes i have driven both Diesel & Petrol Ritz. They are decent all rounders. A Renault Duster has been added a year ago,have to pen down an ownership review this week as its long overdue.

6th service @51,400 kms
This service was done on July 2017

Complaints I had
Wanted them to change the wipers as i dint want to take chances during the monsoon although they were perfectly fine.
I thought it was high time they change the AC filter so i had requested it to be chnaged, ALso i was fed up of the Shell HX7 oil i had used & had ordered 6 liters of Mobil 1 Delvac 5W40 from an online vendor(sparesNcare) after making all the checks that they were genuine.I wanted to stand in the bay as they changed the oil. And they agreed.Also remote key was weak,had asked them to change battery.
Bootlid had sound proofing because of my SQ audio and the boot would not stay up in recent times as it was old. i had asked them to change the boot lifter.

Parts changed/charged
Rust lick spray = 97.7
Rubber assembly wiper passenger = 432
Rubber assembly wiper driver side = 432
Battery transmittiv(key remote) = 175
Lifter assembly tail gate 2 X 454.7 = 909
Brake pad kit for rear discs = 1294
Filter cartridge = 1601.6
Panel side cover(under body for fan belt) =210.2
Filter air cleaner = 250.8
Service kit oil filter = 358.6
caliper rod grease 25grms = 146.9
Total = 6209.41

SGST@9% on part value 300 = 27
CGST@14% on part value 5909.41= 827.33
CGST@9% on part value of 300 = 27
SGST@14% on part value of 5909.41= 827.33
Grand total = 7,918

Labour & services
Periodic maintenance service = 1795
caliper pin greasing 2 x 265 = 530
front brake pad cleaning= 380
windshield wiper = 107
remote battery = 107
trunk lid both sides = 107
filter fuel = 214
engine under cover = 107
Total = 3347

CGST@9% on labour value 3347 = 301
SGST@9% on labour value of 3347 = 301.23
Grand total = 3949.46

3949.46 + 7918 = 11,867

Remarks /feedback
I was glad i stood there when the oil was being changed as they did not notice another 1 litre oil bottle kept in the car. They filled 5.4 litres odd using the dip stick method but 5.6 to 5.7 litres is real world requirement against 5.3 litres which company manual states. The rear brake pads had to be changed & have done well to come 50000 kms i feel. Wiper wasn't fit properly & i had to make adjustments to it later on my own. Wheel alignment wasn't done as i had just fitted new tyres 3000 kms before service.

Additional comments
The expensive synthetic Mobil 1 Delvac feels & sounds just like the company oil but a major improvement over the Shell HX7(which was a big mistake). On highway runs the mileage has improved alot to 19kmpl ,dont know if the the engine oil or tyre is the reason or both combined. I have also used Stanadyne fuel additive before oil change which i can say makes small improvements.

Top Bottom