Hyundai i20 (i-Gen) Sportz Crdi Ownership Review

@Mary

Welcome to TAI !! nice share

I like both front and rear design and rear design more like a Volvo. But that looks a model for other countries as that kind of GC can't work in India
Could be..

But the picture below shows i20 next gen cars spied in Indian Roads..
The shape looks somewhat the same as in my previous pic..

Attachments

Thread Starter #48
Re: Hyundai i20 (i-Gen) Sportz Crdi Ownership Review,3rd service update

3rd service update (22196km) Free service

Complaints i had
1 AC would divert to foot well area even when directed at only face(fixed)
2 Small mishap had car in a ditch(left front),had made the fog light loose(not fixed due to clamp not available) which i assumed made noise.(turned out to be suspension damage)

Parts changed/charged
Wurth Windscreen wash - 87.32
Engine oil 5.7 litres,269.83 per litre - 1538.05
Consumables - 125
Brake pad kit (front set) - 1640.78
Front Lower arm (damage) - 1128.40
Fuel Filter cartridge - 1736.39
Engine Air filter - 280
Oil filter kit - 363.71
Liquid windshield wash (no idea why twice) - 15.97
Wheel weights sticker (3)x 72.93 - 218.78

Total = 7134.70
VAT @ 14.5% = 1034.54
= 8169.24

Labour/service charges
Wheel balancing - 420
Wheel alignment - 530
Brake pad replacement - 275
Front low arm replacement - 154

Total = 1379
Service Tax @ 12.36% = 170.44
= 1549.44

Grand Total = 9719
If deducting damage cost/service incl tax = (-1311) = 8408

Service Feedback
The car was not having many kms done recently hence for the long duration(almost a year) between service.
The front left of the car fell into a ditch dug up carelessly at a petrol pump.The result had left a few scratches & the front fog light loose. It also resulted in the front lower arm being damaged & giving a knocking sound on rough roads, but no suspension behavior was noticed.
My car was taken on arrival & i took delivery next day as i could not pick it up in the evening.
Paint touch up was done free of cost(shabby though).
The price of mineral oil used has slightly hiked since last year.
newoldi20.jpg
I picked the car next day & the staff was happy as my friend who was impressed with my car & had booked the same variant i20(now with DRL as standard) in silver colour was also taking delivery of his new car along with mine.

The summer heat was getting to me & i could not touch the steering wheel sometimes,so added a 3M RE series sunfilm only for the top half of front windscreen over the old useless light 70vlt sunfilm. Did the same for my friends car. Happy with the results. I suggest many who are having their hands & laps sunburnt go for a reflective shade sunfilm for the front top half.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #49
Hyundai i20 Ownership Review.Kagu 3D maxpider mats

The stock mats from the company were really bad,they dint even have carpets for rear center,i had to improvise by using some extra Suzuki Swift mats for the front on top of the stock ones as the stock one was having no durability.
As for the rear mats,they would slide under the front seats & make sure the passengers feet left a good mess to clean.
So finally after two years & recently spending two weeks in a heavy rain area,paid 5400 for 3D Maxpider mats(Kagu),not to be confused with the numerous rip offs under same name, i know its expensive but then i was so annoyed with passengers getting in with wet feet & cleaning it being an issue,i had decided this carpet is priceless for my peace of mind.

3dfrntpassenger.jpg 3ddrivermat.jpg 3dreari20.jpg
3dfrnti20.jpg maxpiderreari20.jpg
3dproductCover.jpg

Really very happy with the fit,better than the copycat 3D mats on the markets which i have seen in my friends i20! I am yet to get the interior vacuumed hence you mite notice some dirt on other parts of the interior in the pics.
You have the remove the front hooks meant for the stock carpets before placing these mats,also suggested not to add any carpets under these in driver area as i have read of the raised edges fouling the pedals. These carpets come in 3 colours,beige,grey & black.

^^ I think its worth paying the money as the fit and finish are perfect based on car floor design. Where did you buy it from online or offline ?

Thread Starter #51
^^ I think its worth paying the money as the fit and finish are perfect based on car floor design. Where did you buy it from online or offline ?
Well yes i was out of town & moment i came to Bangalore i went to a store in Jayanagar & placed the order & picked it up the next afternoon.I was initially quoted 5750/5650,when i told i dont like to fuss & 5300 is the best price i have received through my friend(although the store was somewhere in JC road & parking is a pain),agreed on 5400 including the small work of removing the hooks for the mats,which can be a tricky job.
Even with such a price ,everytime i went there over the years i have seen people picking up these Kagu 3D mats. I did find the price worth it,but i got dumb looks from some people when mentioning the price.

While i was out of town & browsing online for info on these mats,i read on another forum about Sai Mag wheels making similar mats under the brand called Star Spider mats,they looked similar to the kagu 3D mats although not sure about the fit,they can be bought online at 3000 odd but quality is average.There are some on the lower price but they seem like a sorry excuse.

Overall this purchase was pending for last two years, it was around 4800 then & skipped it cos of the mats hooks on the front as i assumed it was a big job to remove.

Thread Starter #52
4th service (paid service) 32540 kms

Complaints i had
Clutch would get hard on long journeys,clutch master cylinder was changed on a non routine visit to service center,i was asked to pay for it as car did not have extended warranty(i had asked for it & was under assumption it was paid for also. But they did it for free, this time around as problem repeated,they told me the clutch pressure plate had a bolt in it going weak causing the problem!

Rear power window switch would not work(fixed)

Parts changed/charged
Engine oil 5.7 litres, 269.8 per litre -1538
Coolant 2 litres,3.1.3 per litre - 602.5
A/c neutralizer WEC- 650
Distil water 2,18.3 per bottle - 36.7
consumables - 200
Switch assembly back up lamp(defective part gearbox sensor)Not covered by warranty - 1558.2
Switch assembly-Power Window - 227
Filter cartridge - 1736.4
Filter air cleaner - 280.3
Service kit oil filter 363.7
washer - 26.2
Plug oil drain - 26.2
Grease ,caliper guide rod - 149

Total - 7510, Tax - 965.7 = 8647.83

Service/labour charges

Outside job/others - 50
Periodic maintainance service- 1480
Coolant change - 210
Caliper pin greasing X 2 - 440
front brake pad cleaning - 315
Switch assembly back up lamp(unroutine/defective) - 176
Power window switch - 132
fuel filter - 176

Total- 2979 ,Ser tax-368.2, = 3347.2

Grand Total 8647.83+3347.20 = 11995

Remarks/Feedback - My car clutch issue is being pointed out to a weak pressure plate in the clutch.Hyundai had changed clutch master cylinder for free as they assumed that was the prob & i told them i wont pay for it,this was done many thousand kms before this service.
During service inspection they noticed gearoil on certain places & concluded that the threading on a gearbox sensor had gone & it was leaking oil,i told i wanted it covered by them as its a defective part,as negotiations failed,i had to pay around 2000 cos of it,Have to say Hyundai parts arent really that high on quality these days.
Wheel alignment was'nt done as tires seem to have another 6000kms left in them,will get alignment done outside at fraction of the cost anyhow!

Additional modification done to headlights 2 months agohttp://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/accessories-modifications/1624-hid-xenons-headlamps-discussions-queries-71.html

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
what's this ac neutralizer ? ac disinfectant ? and i can see fuel filter labor ? is the cost of the fuel filter 1736 or is it something else ? and did you ask what all included in consumables ? and i just wanted to confirm did they wash the engine bay ? because samara near my home doesn't wash the engine bay. they say it can lead to sensor failure and rust , i get it cleaned anyways from outside car washers.

Thread Starter #54
what's this ac neutralizer ? ac disinfectant ? and i can see fuel filter labor ? is the cost of the fuel filter 1736 or is it something else ? and did you ask what all included in consumables ? and i just wanted to confirm did they wash the engine bay ? because samara near my home doesn't wash the engine bay. they say it can lead to sensor failure and rust , i get it cleaned anyways from outside car washers.
I told them the Ac has wet dirt smell & to have it cleaned,so guess its the disinfectant they use
As for fuelfilter labor i assumed it would be included in periodic maintenance charge but puzzled why an additional,previously it would be free along with free service.
And 1736 is(diesel) fuel filter,its Made in Korea Hyundai part.
I dint ask what is included in consumables but it was explained to me in the past but i forgot.
They lightly spray engine bay,but i asked them strictly not to! Cos i have expensive Denso HID ballasts(OEM Toyota Japan) which are just lightly covered against water damage.Will get engine bay air cleaned outside,i always preferred that.
As for the sensor which lost its thread what actually happened is,part of it sits outside the gear box oil,so this thread like you see on a screw had some gaps & it was lightly leaking gear oil,they topped up the gear oil.Its a sensor which detects when gear is in neutral. I just appreciated they noticed it at least,i dont know what mess would have happened if the gear box was out of oil.
Most of all when i take the car from service i am very humble with them & tell them i dont mind a few scratches here & there if it happens at service bay but if something goes wrong with the car then its another side.
So far so good,little complaints here & there they solve it. So lets see how it goes.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #55
Most of all when i take the car from service i am very humble with them & tell them i dont mind a few scratches here & there if it happens at service bay but if something goes wrong with the car then its another side.
So far so good,little complaints here & there they solve it. So lets see how it goes.
If there are big scratches obviously i wont let them go [:)] But to maintain good rapport i just try to show them i have a cool head & appreciate them.
I was given car with paint missing on front bumper,dint realize till i got home,i calmly called them & told i dont blame to service adviser cos mechanics drive these cars & scratch them,but i want it painted the next day!
And when i met them the next day i was pretty cool about it & told them such things happen cant help it & they painted the whole bumper for me,obviously for free.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I too get the cars serviced from the same service center and whenever i go most of them recognize me. [:)] i talk with the same advisor everytime. Friend gave his car for service and i went back with him to collect the car , the advisor saw me , shook my hand and told a worker to get some sprays. He sprayed on the rubber beadings of the door and 2 other sprays which i don't remember, i asked him why it was being done and do you apply these to all cars ? He said sir you are our regular customer so i'm doing this. Felt good [:D]

Anyways still i'm reluctant to go to the service center , after all they want the money.

Thread Starter #57
Anyways still i'm reluctant to go to the service center , after all they want the money.
I have a service center from same dealer nearby but its very crampped that cars are cleaned on roads & i have sen my own friends car coming with dents,so i take it a few kms away cos the center is less crowded & more manageable!
I make it a point to give car for service on a week day when there is less load.

Ya authorized service centers can be a rip off,but one thing about service centers is if anything fails or goes wrong then you can literally rip off there heads by shooting emails to head office. But if its some company like VW or Skoda cos they rarely care for complaints, then mite as well get it done outside.
Majority of my friends have or upgraded to nice cars while i am literally the only guy sticking to reasonable cars & when i see the bills they make me cringe.Even the Captiva gets a routine 40 to 50k bill.So i kinda appreciate my car for its so far well balanced usage & maintance experience[:)]

Maybe you can try for Bosch Service centers,only in case of serious problems you can take to Hyundai. I have a Swift which had a tree branch damage,sent it to a Bosch center(belonged to an acquaintance) & work done was under a good quote,but service is still done at Maruti.
Other threads i am seeing i20's visiting Bosch service & getting decent bills,so should work for your Verna also.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Whenever i gave my santro or i10 to service center my bill always came around 4-5k , why ? Because they find a part which needs replacement. I know they do a thorough check but always some parts needed to be changed.

Other point - if there's some mechanical work to be done like clutch replacement etx , don't give the car for normal servicing along with the mechanical work. They don't do a good job.

I wanted to try bosch but there's a local car market and i always take my cars there. Santro's service time is near , will go to bosch this time because i'm thinking to change many things including all fluids. Might as well give the car to hyundai.

To save time i always get the car serviced at 9:00 am from hyundai [:D] and 10:30 am from local mechanic.

Thread Starter #59
Just remember Bosch picks people who had reputed workshops(i assume),but just set standards for the franchise owners,there are workshops who have lost the franchise from Bosch.So can be a hit or miss depending on where you are.

As for Santros I have had 3 so far including one of the firsts in our state(i was a kid then but decided on every car since kindergarten).The first ones lasted 1 lakh plus & strong,the other two seemed too delicate as they would face rural roads which were challenging for the suspension,but Hyundai quality has suffered cos the last Xing i had 3 suspension changed by 75000 odd kms. They dont build them like they use to!I decided i am going to buy cars that i can keep in the garage forever & keep them as spare cars.
I am saving up for a car you can respect for decades,but right now eyeing a purchase that can multitask,lets see,maybe an ownership review mite be on the forum in a month!

Remember ! Look after the car & the car looks after you! Atleast,thats how it goes [;)]

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I have to try if bosch will be good or not. It also depends from time to time , sometimes from the same workshop one can have good and bad experience.

And true about the quality of products , it's degrading and not just hyundai or even a car manufacturer but every product.
New royal Enfield's have plastic parts whereas my 6 years old have metal parts in the same places. We had a santro (10th october , 2001, wednesday, i never forget the date) which covered 100000 kms in 8 years (sold in 2009 and dad bought another because it was perfect for him) it never needed any parts replaced , not even ac top up. Dad told me he just got the oil changed and nothing else.
(Santro is at 123000 kms with 70-80k kms on cng [:D] because daily travel is 80-90kms)
And there are more and more cars on the road so even of the quality is good , parts won't last that long.

And you can see my santro i10, thread. I get the car serviced every 5000 kms without fail [;)]
And all the best for your upcoming car [:D] i hope to see the ownership thread soon. Let's not go more OT, a good talk.

Last edited:

Top Bottom