Hyundai i20 (i-Gen) Sportz Crdi Ownership Review

Many Congratulations Prads,

The feature list of the i20 is a never ending one. It can go on and on. Makes the other cars look quite bare naked in comparison.
Also hope the infamous steering rattle issue has been fixed once and for all.

This a beautiful review. with all the odds i20 makes a perfect city car.
W.r.t your liking for punto, it is sure not suited for city and least favorable for ladies. My wife has totally refused to drive punto due to poor outside visibility,heavy steering,harder gear shift and long clutch.
Very best wishes for the new ride.

Jayadev,

What is this long clutch issue in Punto ?? I have read quite often these days in other posts, can you please explain it for me

Jayadev,

What is this long clutch issue in Punto ?? I have read quite often these days in other posts, can you please explain it for me
Jaydev will post in detail .

I will just share my expreince the only thing I don't like in punto is the clutch means it has very long travel and a bit weird placing , because of a long travel I was not able to release it the way I could do in other cars and I stalled the punto 2 times . When you will drive one you will understand .
It's not a problem as such it's just a ergonomic issue which you need to get used too . But ladies do find it at times a bit difficult to operate .

Nice, unbiased and crisp to point review Prads. I just love I20 for exteriors and interiors. The features and interior fit & finish, i am die hard fan of those. But riding (fun to drive) department is the one where I want most out of the car and that's missing.

Overall nice review. One suggestion from me, Go for OEM spoiler, will look really nice on I20 and enhance it's beauty.

Jayadev,

Well this is not the issue, but this is how PUNTO's clutch behaves. It is very long to press. I will show you in detail once we meet in Mumbai. It takes few days to get used to long clutch, but then it is no issue any more. [:D]

Jayadev,

It is beyond words. I may suggest you a visit in fiat showroom and check it out.
Because myself I have started loving long clutch travel and long throw gears shifts too much so I cannot say its an issue subjectively.
I felt funny in a petrol car with everything short and robot like..hope you get it somehow.
Still I would not mind saying that the pedal placement in punto is ergonomically a mess.

Thread Starter #23
Many Congratulations Prads,

The feature list of the i20 is a never ending one. It can go on and on. Makes the other cars look quite bare naked in comparison.
Also hope the infamous steering rattle issue has been fixed once and for all.
Thanks "manjoo" Ya the features are pretty nice for a hatch.Steering rattle I am hearing mixed stories so guess only time will tell.
This a beautiful review. with all the odds i20 makes a perfect city car.
W.r.t your liking for punto, it is sure not suited for city and least favorable for ladies. My wife has totally refused to drive punto due to poor outside visibility,heavy steering,harder gear shift and long clutch.
Very best wishes for the new ride.
Thanks jayadev ,my mom is pretty comfortable with the i20,only she is not used to the 6th gear & when the car stalls she is annoyed with the procedure to restart it,even i have been stumped when i was new to it.

Nice, unbiased and crisp to point review Prads. I just love I20 for exteriors and interiors. The features and interior fit & finish, i am die hard fan of those. But riding (fun to drive) department is the one where I want most out of the car and that's missing.

Overall nice review. One suggestion from me, Go for OEM spoiler, will look really nice on I20 and enhance it's beauty.
Thanks Dharmesh ya the car is a let down at the handling assurance it gives to its driver,guess 120 is the limit of assurance on the i20.I am thinking of adding the asta spoiler,have to reconnect the roof brake lights as the spoiler will cover it,guess it should cost me around 6 to 8g.

i told you the mudflaps are useless [lol]
I clean the cars by myself so after a small 3km drive i found the left of the car sprayed with dirt,so everytime you drove over a little wet patch car would get dirty,you can see the pic of my car with the Verna where the door sill area has thick mud,but now i feel Hyundai must do something about those mudflaps.

Thread Starter #24
Re: Hyundai i20 (i-Gen) Sportz Crdi,70 vlt sunfilm

So with the tint ban i was looking at a decent 70vlt sunfilm so the options I had for my i20 were

Huper optiks - Price was 4900 excluding front windshield ,No idea about heat rejection.But the innova i looked at was very transparent.I think its 80vlt.

3M crystalline(cr70) - Price for i20 was 16000 excluding front windshield.,usually this sunfilm is used on front windscreen at a price of 5000.It has 50% heat rejection.

3M Re70 - This metallic sunfilm was my favorite,as its not even slightly noticeable when applied to the whole car.Price excluding windshield was 5100.Claimed heat rejection is 34%.

3M Sp70 - This is a basic range charcoal shade film.Price was 1950. Claimed heat rejection is 23% .This is the sunfilm i went for as it was in my budget & it would not hurt me much if an arrogant cop noticed it by chance & wanted to rip it out(although i doubt it).

filmprep.jpg filmTemplate.jpg

Sunfilm being prepped & the template being made of the windows.

3mSp70.jpg 70vltVsclear.jpg

The car looks transparent as it should in pics so decided to show the pics of the front sun strip which is vlt70,this is how it would look in the shade or night(when it is slightly noticeable), i have added dots in the pic to show you the border of the film.So it should give you an idea of a vlt 70 & a clear glass.

Thread Starter #25
First Blood on my i20

As i casually slow down at a speed breaker at 11 in the night,the car on my right(presumably drunk)gets spooked thinking(i am assuming) there must be a drunk drive check ahead & clips my car rear right as he darts to an inside road from the right lane how blind can he be[confused],i caught up to him on the inside road but the guy refused to stop,as i stopped to check the damage(after noting the car numb) was relieved its not very serious but still hurts cos it was no fault of mine.Workshop tell me i mite need to repaint that section but i should ignore it as its not very noticeable but i am guessing there will be local places who can give a mild touch up to ease my burn[frustration]
05112012871.jpg

Also uploading a side window pic of the car taken in the evening (low light conditions)to prove to most that vlt70 sunfilms are not criminal in any way.
22102012799.jpg

Last edited:
@Prads,

- It is not tint ban, it is the sunfilms ban, so cops will remove if they notice it.

- Sad to know that rubbing on the rear of your I 20, but just check with the service center guys itself, they will do the nice touch up job in their paint shop. I got it done for my Ritz with Maruti workshop itself and it is hardly visible from far[:)]

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Prads you can easily remove these marks with the help of rubbing compound. If the paint is scratched then it won't help but i can't guess if the paint is damaged or these are just some marks.

Thread Starter #29
@Prads,

- It is not tint ban, it is the sunfilms ban, so cops will remove if they notice it.
Ya true they say no sunfilms, cops dont seem to have a problem or even notice it,neither do people who travel in my car cos its transparent,i pass check points at night where cops pull over tinted(drunk ones also) cars & they dont give my a car a look.

But let us look at the rule for a sec,it was introduced to reduce crime(so windows are transparent) & not out of jealousy on car owners.So with my sunfilm i have cut out most of the Uv rays & 20% of the heat & still have transparent windows.
But if a rule goes around saying 70vlt sunfilm is allowed,then some people intentionally & other gullible ones will go out & start adding 50vlt sunfilms saying no one will notice difference & before you know it dark tints will be taken for granted.This was the discussion & conclusion I had after talking to a top cop.Even now my friends & some forum members report of vendors trying to sell old rto approved 50vlt sunfilm with those certificates saying its rto approved so no prob.So now you know why they say no sunfilm?Its cos of the Indian mentality/lack of communication!

- Sad to know that rubbing on the rear of your I 20, but just check with the service center guys itself, they will do the nice touch up job in their paint shop. I got it done for my Ritz with Maruti workshop itself and it is hardly visible from far[:)]
Prads you can easily remove these marks with the help of rubbing compound. If the paint is scratched then it won't help but i can't guess if the paint is damaged or these are just some marks.
Ya the paint has peeled off,that black mark is the exposed bumper,there was alot of paint from that guys car(Toyota Etios) which gave me a worry until it all feel off after a wash,but the marks are rarely noticeable only up close you can make out,so i am thinking of giving the spray job a miss for now.

i20 Drl.jpg 2012-Hyundai-i20.jpg
My mother always liked the DRL(Daytime Running Lamp) on cars like the Audi & the Philips aftermarket ones that many add,but i did not want to add them instead wanted the euro spec ones for i20 but despite efforts i could not source one,but now Hyundai offers them as an option for Sportz & Asta variants so will be adding them to my car this week,I have seen them & they are just as bright as the ones you could see on the previous Audi A4's.The moment you switch on headlights they are off so not to blind people on the road as most aftermarket DRL users do! I thought it would be a good idea since on highway people dont pay attention to the car behind them even when glancing through there mirrors.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Yeah don't do anything for now. If spray's not done properly it will look odd.

And i didn't know they were offering these LED's. So did you ask the price? And please do ask the verna's alamps too[:D] and even my mother loves these drl on cars. Everytime she see, she ask me which car was that[:D]

Top Bottom