Hyundai I20 High Cost Maintainance and Sevice

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I searched the entire forum for the service cost of Hyundai I20(diesel) but could not find the accurate info,so thought of starting this thread.

I own a 2011 Hyundai I20 ASTA(diesel) car and my monthly running would be around 2000kms,mostly highway.The car is good and lucky I did not get the famous steering rattle problem only some some minor issues which were promtly rectified as I have some Juniors from college working with Hyundai A.S.S department. Thankful to them for providing hassle free service.

The main issue crops with the service bills.Below is the cost of third free service

ENGINE OIL ---- 1188

FILTER CARTRIDGE --- 1736 (main issue)

AIR FILTER ----- 301

OIL FILTER----- 342

GEAR OIL------ 114

VAT 14.5% 534

TOTAL 4200

Wheel Balancing------ 500(done outside)

Grand Total 4700

The main issue as highlighted above is the cost of the filter cartridge which is nearly 1800/-.While other manufacturers like Maruti,Tata,Fiat,VW fuel filter costs only max 700/- ie nearly 1100/- higher which is almost equavalent to the engine oil cost. And for the piad service,the labour charges are around 800/- which adds to the total of 5500/- which is very high when compared to others.

So Please throw some light on this issue or is it reasonable for the high service cost or Hyundai guys are taking us for a long ride with our money.So please update your service bills for the knowledge of people.

NOTE:Moderators please move or merge this thread accordingly if neccessary.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
hi,
Can you post the details because 8000/- service bill for I20 is very high.SO clarify by posting the complete bill with consumables.

I would think because its an Import ?

Can you have a look at the aftermarket parts and check whether they cost the same?

For example, In my car (Skyline R33)
O2 (Oxygen) sensor from NISSAN $180
NTK (NGK) O2 Sensor $90 is half the price and NGK is a performance brand.

So I would suggest you to make a list of items that are necessary and try getting aftermarket quotation and then tell your dealer to service it using your parts and then you just pay the labour

Thread Starter #7
I would think because its an Import ?

Can you have a look at the aftermarket parts and check whether they cost the same?

For example, In my car (Skyline R33)
O2 (Oxygen) sensor from NISSAN $180
NTK (NGK) O2 Sensor $90 is half the price and NGK is a performance brand.

So I would suggest you to make a list of items that are necessary and try getting aftermarket quotation and then tell your dealer to service it using your parts and then you just pay the labour
Hi,
Yes the engine is complete import from Korea. I have tried to find the price of the aftermarket parts and they cost only 900/- max.
As my car is still in warranty I would try to get the aftermarket products once the warranty expires.

thats the problem
but however if you can get better aftermarket parts ,I'd encourage you to use those but make sure they are better brands then the Hyundai itself.

Some Aftermarket brands (famous):
HKS
TEIN
Sparco
Bosch
Walbro
Blitz
Apexi
Buddyclub
Excedy
Blisten
Ingen
5zigen
etc etc

Thread Starter #9
The price of the fuel filter of the swift is 830/- .The I20 fuel filter costs 1780/- which is almost double. Just called a friend and asked him about the service bills and he said according to Maruti manual.the fuel filter change is only required at the gap of 20k kilometers.But the Hyundai guys will insist to change at 10k kms gap.The manual suggests only to inspect the filter not to replace.

So please let me know if its suggested to change the filter at 20k gap or 10k gap.I always fill up from very reputed filling station.And is it possible to clean the filter and re-fix.

that is expensive for a fuel filter.

I get a good aftermarket brand one for my Skyline about 20$ (1000rs) and that you don't need to change everytime but! In India yes please change it because you never know what petrol they sell , that can clog the fuel filter

Thread Starter #11
Hi thanks for the quick reply.Yes the quality of diesel in India is not so good.I have a glow sign in my dash for the change of fuel filter,if I can prolong to 20k kilometers will there be a change in mileage and power.

Not much will affect the mileage part but if you feel performance dropping and some unstable Engine idle that means your car is coughing because of inadequate fuel supply.

Yes i agree, Hyundai service cost have increased. last time when i serviced my car, i was shocked with bill. i inquired with SA, he told Hyundai have revised rates on the upper side.
Nice trick by Hyundai. and more over in A.s.s. there is no repair, its only Replace !!.[anger]

Yes i agree, Hyundai service cost have increased. last time when i serviced my car, i was shocked with bill. i inquired with SA, he told Hyundai have revised rates on the upper side.
Nice trick by Hyundai. and more over in A.s.s. there is no repair, its only Replace !!.[anger]

Thread Starter #15
Yes the Hyundai service charges have sky rocketed actually all diesel service charges have gone up very quickly.Nowadays replacement is what every car showroom is practicing,even if its repairable.The service margins are very high so manufacturers are coming up with new schemes to loot the people.
Only way of reducing is to have complete knowledge and have some command over the product we own.This forum helps alot.

Top Bottom