Hyundai i20 / Elite i20: Technical Problems & Solutions

Re: 2009 i20 - known common issues

just wanted to point out few common issues which have happened with me as well as other owners of 2009 hyundai i20 magna petrol (may or may not apply to other years/models) -

1) terrible mileage: don't know how to elaborate this - the mileage maxed out at 6-8 kmpl over it's last 3 years' existence. A.S.C. guys are clueless, so are we, the owners and drivers.

2) keys stop working: the keys simply stopped working in the ignition after one year, another six months for the door locks. used the spare key from thereon, and 3 years later, you end up with 2 useless keys. A.S.C. suggest "misuse" or "lock damage", and try to get you to spend 6000 bucks or so on a full lock and key set change since "aapka to extended warranty nahin hai na". i say - call up the local hyundai office, and do not get off the phone until the service manager at the other end of the line ACCEPTS that this is a recurring problem in many cars, and therefore is a manufacturing defect. That's how i got my locks changed for free, btw [:D]

3) Horns: an annoyance more than anything else, the horns randomly stop working every once in a while, and eventually conk out. the mechanics simply have to open up the entire front grille to get to it, and tighten some loose wires or whatever, but this happens so frequently that i just paid 700 or so to the ASC to just change the damn honking machine.

this post served two purposes for me - venting out my frustration, and educating the good folks on this forum. others may comment as they see fit. [glasses]
i have a 2010 hyundai i20 magna petrol and the ignition lock is broken what should i do?

i20 pick up issue

Sir,

I own a Hyundai i20 sportz 1.2 petrol (2013)

I have a serious pick up issue with my car.

On hill slopes, say, all cars ahead of us are moving at certain speed (40-60 kmph) and in a rhythm say at 3rd or 4th gear. Suddenly, if everybody slow down (not halt) we shift gears. That time when I shift gears from 3rd or 4th to 2nd, my car refuses to climb. Cars ahead of me advance without any hassle, cars behind me then start to honk continuously. Than I am left with no alternative, to gain momentum, I forcefully shift to 1st gear even though the speed is not suited for 1st gear, even though, I know when I shift to 1st gear the car is going to give a solid jerk.

On some steep hill slopes (Not that steep), my car refuses to climb on 2nd gear losing momentum drastically and coming to a halt.

Sometimes, overtaking also becomes tricky, because my car does not gain momentum the way it should. Every time intentionally, I have to lower my gear to gain that momentum for overtaking.

Agree, for some speed brakers we have no option but shift to 1st gear. But on some speed brakers, we can proceed on 2nd gear. At that time after crossing the speed brakers the car does not gain momentum. then the same thing, forcefully shift to 1st gear, experience a jerk and proceed.
What is the remedy to my problem.

Hoping for a favourable response.

Jairaj D. Kale

Last edited by a moderator:
Jairaj,

Do you have a cng kit installed? If so, you will face this problem as the calorific value of cng is lower, it produces less power

Also for slopes, speed vs gear logic doesnt apply. So you can be at 10 and on a flat road 2nd gear will work but on a slope you will need a lower gear, especially if you have just braked because the engine loses momentum (torque) in braking & then is no longer in the correct torque band for that gear

Ameyam

Re: i20 pick up issue

Sir,

Jairaj D. Kale
I do have exactly the same problem (my car is Xcent 1.2L Petrol), I hope this description is of i20 Petrol. I'm now slowly adapting to workaround this, albeit not to my natural taste. I've had lengthy description of the problems that I face on another thread listing Grand i10/Xcent technical issues

Re: i20 Technical Faults

Hi allhyundai, thanks for coming in. Sometime I could not put reverse gear, even after pushing clutch couple of time.
Have anybody else faced this issue?

As you have said you have the petrol one so for my experience if you need to reverse the car from standstill if you engage the first gear before reverse gear than it will be easy to engage the reverse gear it is the synchromesh gearbox in your car. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: i20 pick up issue

Sir,

On hill slopes, say, all cars ahead of us are moving at certain speed (40-60 kmph) and in a rhythm say at 3rd or 4th gear. Suddenly, if everybody slow down (not halt) we shift gears. That time when I shift gears from 3rd or 4th to 2nd, my car refuses to climb. Cars ahead of me advance without any hassle, cars behind me then start to honk continuously. Than I am left with no alternative, to gain momentum, I forcefully shift to 1st gear even though the speed is not suited for 1st gear, even though, I know when I shift to 1st gear the car is going to give a solid jerk.

On some steep hill slopes (Not that steep), my car refuses to climb on 2nd gear losing momentum drastically and coming to a halt.

Sometimes, overtaking also becomes tricky, because my car does not gain momentum the way it should. Every time intentionally, I have to lower my gear to gain that momentum for overtaking.

Agree, for some speed brakers we have no option but shift to 1st gear. But on some speed brakers, we can proceed on 2nd gear. At that time after crossing the speed brakers the car does not gain momentum. then the same thing, forcefully shift to 1st gear, experience a jerk and proceed.

Jairaj D. Kale

I am totally agree with you Jairaj. I am facing the same problem.
Even, When my vehicle stall at Khopoli Express-way, some people told me that, clutch plates have burned out. Thankfully, that was not the case. But the problem persist of vehicle stalling at climbing. No one from dealer answering and giving me quotation for the rectification.

Guys, just wanted to share the fix for a noise generated by faulty stability bush bar in elite i20 (2015). The noise appeared to be a rubberized one, feels like something is rubbing against something rubberized material like "kook kook". I might not able to discribe the exact sound in word but you can imagine the noise. Its generally noticeable in morning when there is bit coolness in weather and when car hits a bump on the road. I first noticed this after my first free servicing. During second service, I reported the issue, but SA was not aware of the problem and said there was a lose bolt which he tightened up. After couple of week I escalated this to the service manager ( Shakti Sharma - Kothari Hyundai, Pune ), when I explained him the problem, the first question he asked is the noise noticeable early morning, which was the exact case and ask SA to get the stability bush bar replaced and covered in warranty.

Attachments

Hyundai I20 Magna Petrol 2010 Steering & doors getting Locked & Unlocked while drivin

Last week, Just before I was going to park my car(I was travelling at about 10Km/hr) my Steering & Door locks kept Locking & Unlocking around 4-5 times. I would like to know what the reason could be. Is there a possibility of this happening at high speeds which would be really dangerous. The car has clocked 56000 Kms. Hyundai I20 Magna Petrol 2010 model. Has anyone experienced this before. I am more worried about the steering getting locked.

Re: Hyundai I20 Magna Petrol 2010 Steering & doors getting Locked & Unlocked while dr

Last week, Just before I was going to park my car(I was travelling at about 10Km/hr) my Steering & Door locks kept Locking & Unlocking around 4-5 times. I would like to know what the reason could be. Is there a possibility of this happening at high speeds which would be really dangerous. The car has clocked 56000 Kms. Hyundai I20 Magna Petrol 2010 model. Has anyone experienced this before. I am more worried about the steering getting locked.
Either the door lock actuator or the relay in fuse box has failed. You need to fix it ASAP.

Elite I20 Asta O Petrol Version Break Issue

Hi I am new to this group, i would like to request you all to please give me some advice / suggestions on the issue i have been facing.I have purchased an Elite i20 Asta O Petrol Version on June 10th from Talwar Hyundai Banjara Hills Showroom. On 16/6/2016 i met with an accident at a traffic signal due to break failure (break pedal got jammed all of a sudden), my car was very badly damaged but no physical injuries luckily. I have given my vehicle to get repaired in Talwar Hyundai Shekpet Branch, at the time of giving my vehicle i clearly told the service manager about the break issue and insisted them to fix this issue. I got my vehicle repaired and delivered last week. All of a sudden yesterday when i was parking my car in my basement the break pedal got jammed and was not working, luckily i escaped another accident because of the faulty breaking system, on Tuesday when I am traveling to my office I faced the same issue in traffic (luckily got saved because of low traffic) When i researched online yesterday i found that there are lot of other people who are suffering with the same break issue. Can someone please provide me a solution? In the online reviews i read different reasons for this (one is the software update for the ABS, another reason is vacume related). Thank you everyone for your help and advise.

Attachments

Re: Elite I20 Asta O Petrol Version Break Issue

Hi I am new to this group, i would like to request you all to please give me some advice / suggestions on the issue i have been facing.I have purchased an Elite i20 Asta O Petrol Version on June 10th from Talwar Hyundai Banjara Hills Showroom. On 16/6/2016 i met with an accident at a traffic signal due to break failure (break pedal got jammed all of a sudden), my car was very badly damaged but no physical injuries luckily. I have given my vehicle to get repaired in Talwar Hyundai Shekpet Branch, at the time of giving my vehicle i clearly told the service manager about the break issue and insisted them to fix this issue. I got my vehicle repaired and delivered last week. All of a sudden yesterday when i was parking my car in my basement the break pedal got jammed and was not working, luckily i escaped another accident because of the faulty breaking system, on Tuesday when I am traveling to my office I faced the same issue in traffic (luckily got saved because of low traffic) When i researched online yesterday i found that there are lot of other people who are suffering with the same break issue. Can someone please provide me a solution? In the online reviews i read different reasons for this (one is the software update for the ABS, another reason is vacume related). Thank you everyone for your help and advise.
rakeshbde, Sorry to hear about this accident at the same time happy that no injuries, however this is very serious issue. Anything related to safety features should not be taken lightly by any Hyundai service center. what Talwar Hyundai had to say when you reported this issue ? what was the root cause according to them? Anyways, first write to HML (cr@hmil.net) about the issue and any solution provided by Talwar Hyundai. I personally suggest not to drive until the issue is sorted.

Re: Elite I20 Asta O Petrol Version Break Issue

If your engine is below idle rpm (like in 2nd gear or higher),and when ABS releases pressure the pedal wont have pressure & it becomes hard.Its a prob with our cheap Indian cars. Also small pot holes & even cats eye reflectors can trigger silly ABS over-response called Ice mode( i have written a thread in another forum about this,sadly people got blindly defensive).
So for now i can suggest if there is nothing mechanically wrong with car i can suggest you
- dont lug the engine
- Try braking in advance of broken tarmac or potholes to prevent unwanted ABS
- reduce tire pressure by 2 Psi of recommended pressure
Note-tire pressure of cars when arriving from showroom are very high as they are kept in stockyard & are overinflated. Maybe your car was running 36 to 40 psi & was overworking the ABS sensors.

Hi Folks,
I 've got Elite I20 Diesel Sports (O) variant and has run 53k so far. Recently i have been facing the pick up issue specially after putting it in 5th gear where the delay becomes very evident as if engine is struggling to push any further. If i press the accelerator all the way down, it picks up all of a sudden with a burst. I havent changed the clutch plates so far and vehicle has been maintained pretty well. It runs like a charm but off lately this pick up latency has cropped up. I talked to the mechanic and was advised to change the clutch plates but on the other hand he says that clutch plates are good for another 10-15k . Kindly suggest

Top Bottom