Hyundai i20 (2016) Handling Issue

Thread Starter #1
Hi, I own a Hyundai Elite i20 Asta(o) CRDi 2016,driven about 70,000kms I’m facing a really annoying handling issue which no Authorised service centre in Bangalore is able to even notice the problem, they always say that my vehicle is perfect, but every time I drive my steering behaves really weird and my car even weirder.

I once had ran over a steep pot hole from which I feel the front right strut is weaker than the rest 3, I told this to my advisor in the service centre but they couldn’t even notice that. Then I went to number of alignment Center’s in Bangalore count less times, they all used to tell that my alignment is off that’s it, but it never used to resolve the issue. Tired of this I visited Madhu tyre centre and met Mr. Mohsin he told the camber of front right is out (finally I was happy because I was thinking this could be the issue from a very long time,but no one ever told me about it) so he suggested me to go to known mechanic and sort it out.

I went to the Mechanic he said don’t you worry the right strut Is slightly weak but this is just a camber issue. So he altered my strut-knuckle mounting points and bolts & made my camber adjustable. It was a huge difference.But I want to know if I would change the struts would this solve the camber issue? Btw I changed my tyres from 195/55 R15 to 205/55 16 for some better comfort on rough roads.

Hi, I own a Hyundai Elite i20 Asta(o) CRDi 2016,driven about 70,000kms I’m facing a really annoying handling issue which no Authorised service centre in Bangalore is able to even notice the problem, they always say that my vehicle is perfect, but every time I drive my steering behaves really weird and my car even weirder.

I once had ran over a steep pot hole from which I feel the front right strut is weaker than the rest 3, I told this to my advisor in the service centre but they couldn’t even notice that. Then I went to number of alignment Center’s in Bangalore count less times, they all used to tell that my alignment is off that’s it, but it never used to resolve the issue. Tired of this I visited Madhu tyre centre and met Mr. Mohsin he told the camber of front right is out (finally I was happy because I was thinking this could be the issue from a very long time,but no one ever told me about it) so he suggested me to go to known mechanic and sort it out.

I went to the Mechanic he said don’t you worry the right strut Is slightly weak but this is just a camber issue. So he altered my strut-knuckle mounting points and bolts & made my camber adjustable. It was a huge difference.But I want to know if I would change the struts would this solve the camber issue? Btw I changed my tyres from 195/55 R15 to 205/55 16 for some better comfort on rough roads.
If you have record of old alignment reports share alignment report of before and after camber adjustment. These cars are not camber and caster adjustable, outside mechs use crude methods to adjust it. If possible post your both struct mount photos. Did you notice any abnormal Tyre wear on right side Tyre before changing the tyres. What exactly your handling issue.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
If you have record of old alignment reports share alignment report of before and after camber adjustment. These cars are not camber and caster adjustable, outside mechs use crude methods to adjust it. If possible post your both struct mount photos. Did you notice any abnormal Tyre wear on right side Tyre before changing the tyres. What exactly your handling issue.
image.jpg Before

Frankly speaking it is not very big camber issue, What are the values after adjustment. By the way what exactly the handling issue you are facing. Did you notice any abnormal Tyre wear on right side.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
Frankly speaking it is not very big camber issue, What are the values after adjustment. By the way what exactly the handling issue you are facing. Did you notice any abnormal Tyre wear on right side.
Sir this is after altering both front struts for adjustable camber. Now the car is handling much much better, before what used to happen is my car’s steering used to tilt Left and right on its own depending on the undulations in the road and drag in that direction.It was very scary even for a small over take as the steering was unpredictable. Now after this camber adjustments the acceleration and breaking performance too has improved significantly and the car is much more enjoyable to drive.
P.s would like to discuss more on this personally. View attachment 280710 View attachment 280710 View attachment 280710 After adjustments (camber) View attachment 280710

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
No sir I didn’t notice any abnormal tyre wear,I think because I have not driven much in my new tyres. Just driven about 6000kms in new tyres.

No sir I didn’t notice any abnormal tyre wear,I think because I have not driven much in my new tyres. Just driven about 6000kms in new tyres.
I am asking abnormal Tyre wear in old tyres because improper camber will cause Tyre wear called camber Tyre wear if camber is negative Tyre wear happens inner side edge of the Tyre if positive outer side of the edge. In these cars we cannot adjust camber or caster only on some suvs that provision is there. There are some unscientific methods mechs will follow to adjust on these cars its is the reason I asked engine bay photos.

Anyway if you are ok with present conditions lets not dig in deeper.

Top Bottom