Hyundai i10 Auto Asta - One Year of Ownership

Thread Starter #1
This is my first post here. I will try to keep it short and sweet. Exactly a year ago, I started the hunt for a new car. Based on my requirements I decided for a petrol hatch. Though I did consider ANHC automatic.

The options considered at that time (a year ago) were,

Skoda fabia 1.2 elegance – We all know why I didn’t consider, even after liking it
Hyundai getz 1.3 glx – Heard regarding going out of production.
Hyundai i20 1.2 asta – rejected it due to low ground clearance and high dashboard, also while TD in heavy traffic had to shift gears frequently and it ran out of steam on highways.
Fiat palio 1.6 sports – good power, no safety features. Not so good A.S.S. in Pune

While TD of getz and i20, my dad and me just saw Hyundai i10 asta, which was due for delivery. The salesperson was prompt and showed all the features and gave a good long TD of automatic test vehicle.

Good things that went in favor of i10 were,

Easy to drive
Small and sweet, could accommodate my wife, mom and dad and my three yr old naughty daughter.
Good equipment in small car.

Not so good things,

Classic Steering rattle noise – A real disappointment
Weak headlamps
Costly car and spares
A.S.S. not as par as people claim
Missing immobilizer
Skinny tires
Mistake -- Installed VK70 sunfilm on sides only. Total cost 12900/-

Mods planned – Alloys with 5.5J/5J, PCD = 100, ET =38. Tires I plan to put the same for now. Do let me know if my selection of alloys regarding the size is correct or not.
Headlights -- philips extreme or 90 watt bulb with relay
Horn -- powerful horn
Front sunfilm -- to avoid dash glare.

For rest of the things, please see the pictures below.

orvm.jpg

carside3.jpg

interior1.jpg

gearknob.jpg

keylessq.jpg

stereos.jpg

sunroofext.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, nice to see you here too, Amit.
The i10 is a wonderful car, and we too have one, just 1 1/2 months old, a white 1.2 Magna. It is just delightful. We love the i10 so much that we plan to buy another i10, the new Kappa 2 Asta, instead of an SX4 ZXi!! No kidding. The seating position is too comfy, features abound, character plenty, performance great, to resist another. (Besides we save almost 3 - 3.5 lakh!!)

About Sunfilm for the front, I have Garware Icecool Shield installed, which cost me Rs 3000. Even when it is real hot outside, come sit in my car after 3 hours, and it isn't really hot at all!! The Shield has a very light green tinge, similar to that you may see on Mercedes Benz cars. Another option is the Front windscreen lamination from 3M, which will cost you Rs 6000-6800, and works more or less as effectively as Garware.

About headlamp bulbs, I too will be changing mine to Philips 90W ones before the next highway run.

Thread Starter #3
Arkin, good to see your reply. Keep me posted regarding the bulbs.
Could you pls let me know the following,
1. visibility drop(day and night) after installing garware sunfilm in front?
2. Effect of dash glare?

I must say you made a right choice by going for i10. And your ride looks really cool especially with the sunroof. Thanks to hyundai for giving it as OE on Asta. Btw any specific reason for going for an Autobox?

Thread Starter #5
Thanks Akash.
The only reason for autobox was my Dad. So that he can drive at ease. I can also feel the difference in fatigue levels of everyday city driving.

Hello Amit your i10 is looking cool in silver with the sun-roof too! Any reason for going in for AT , i see you have did a TD for all MT only.

And can you please explain about the steering rattle issue? I think this is new to me , i have never heard about this problem in i10 for now. And why do you say A.S.S is not good? I would rate Hyundai's A.S.S very highly , am a very satisfied Verna owner for a year now.

Thread Starter #8
Arkin thanks for the link. I am thinking of 13" Neo ICE machined silver or machined black. Also any comments on this point,
visibility drop(day and night) after installing garware sunfilm in front?

cooldhaya, you are correct. I test drove all manual cars, however having driven lot of automatics abroad, thought of giving it a try. I needed a car with following,
1. easy to drive
2. fatigue free
3. easy to park
4. features more on safety though
Hence went with i10 auto

Regarding steering rattle -- To make the steering ultra light, there is a gap kept between steering rack joint. This is creating the rattle. Since Hyundai is to master the art of electronic power steering, they have this flaw. Its not too bad, only it comes occasionally. However I think we should get back every bit of hard earned money. Hyundai doesn't have a solution for this steering rattle till this moment. What ever they claim.

Regarding A.S.S. service in Pune is OK, not as great as maruti.

Hmmm Hyundai's A.S.S is excellent in Chennai , atleast for me! I also own a TATA Safari but i don get the same satisfaction from TATA.

I have heard people saying that the sunfilm on the windshield does not hamper the visibility , infact it reduces the glare of the oncoming vehicles during night. But wait for some professional's advice.

Arkin thanks for the link. I am thinking of 13" Neo ICE machined silver or machined black. Also any comments on this point,
visibility drop(day and night) after installing garware sunfilm in front?
I'm thinking of the same type of alloys too, for my Kappa1! But it will be after some time, as we 1st need to buy the Kappa2 and fit it with 14" Platis.

Oh, and do NOT go in for normal sunfilm, go in for GARWARE ICECOOL sheild, which is meant for front windscreen. And yes, it does not affect visibility.

Thread Starter #11
Thanks Arkin, will go with ICECOOL shield only. However need one more clarification. After installation of the film, does the dash glare increases or decreases? Is the effect more soothing on eyes or it reflects more?

That, I'm not sure of, 'cuz I got that done less than 12 hours after the delivery. I will talk to the owner of the place where I got it done, and will get back to you by around 8pm today.

Thread Starter #13
Arkin, do let me know once you speak to the concerned person. Also do you experience any kind of reflection/glare during day and night?

Thread Starter #14
More pictures of my car.

Sunroof from inside
sunroofint.jpg

Skinny car tire -- Doesnt really go with the car. Planning for alloys of 13" and 175/70 R13 tires

skinnycartire.jpg

weakheadlamp.jpg

hi amiti welcome to TAI congrats for ur i10. honestly this is so far first i10 auto i have seen. i think its rare. and why are you not happy with hyundai's A.S.S? have happy ownership!

Top Bottom