Hyundai i10 Auto Asta - One Year of Ownership

Thread Starter #76
Thanks Akash,

I am holding my upgrade plans.

I have already told my friend who is in MSIL to hunt a good used SX4. As per him he can get one within 4.5 to 5 lacs. I will wait for this. I am not worried about the FE much.

If not second option is new SX4 VVT

Third option alto k10.

Let's see how it goes. Will keep you all updated.

Thanks Akash,

I am holding my upgrade plans.

I have already told my friend who is in MSIL to hunt a good used SX4. As per him he can get one within 4.5 to 5 lacs. I will wait for this. I am not worried about the FE much.

If not second option is new SX4 VVT

Third option alto k10.

Let's see how it goes. Will keep you all updated.
Just saw your signature, with your budget you can easily get a used Fiesta 1.6, SX4 VVT, Corolla(previous gen), Honda City ZX, Hyundai Verna.
And honestly, the Fiesta 1.6 imo is the best bet if you are not concerned about the resale value. It provides the best driving pleasure over all the cars listed in your signature[:)].

350Z

Core Team
Thanks for your comments guys. However I am not inclined to change the rack as I will lose originality of my car. So one option is to carry along with same car and upgrade to tires and alloys.

OT - I am not brand conscious. I have driven all brand cars when I was staying abroad. What I need is just peace of mind and a car free from such problems. hence I was inclined towards alto k10. I don't mind to go a step down. If you still look at my signature, it reads a hot hatch or a used car, but now i feel small is better and MSIL will be tension free. What say?

Akash, dhaya Vibhor and entire TAI team, I need your inputs as well.
Amit, This is going to be somewhat a subjective decision because the fact is that repairing the said troubles will cost you much lesser than spending the money on new or second hand car. And I’d personally rule out the second option of getting an Alto K10. You’ll miss many features (Not equipments but also in terms of space comfort etc) after downgrade which you might realize when the time passes on, and let me mention that Maruti Suzuki does not always means “Peace of mind”. I know how much struggles our member Peter had been through with his New Alto (Thread: Red Hot Alto Spice. He later switched to Hyundai i10 BTW). It’s kind of 60-40, where 60% is usually fate because each car after all is a piece of machinery. If you are considering purchasing a Pre-owned car, please start up a new thread and perhaps I could be of some help because I’m too in market for one, though the research has been back-breaking. Not intending to scare you but sharing my own experience. Just remember paying preference to authorized second hand car dealerships only. Good luck!

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hey Amiti just saw your thread , i think its better we discuss this issue in a separate thread. As Vibhor said i will not not recommend any downgrade , as time passes by you will start feeling a bit uncomfortable , but ofcourse no doubt Alto K10 is one good car.

You have lots of options in used car market , SX4 is one great car but FE is one major concern , with rising fuel prices why do you want to go for a car which failed to sell mainly due to its low FE?

Thread Starter #80
Thanks all for your valuable suggestions and I agree with most of them. I will start a new thread. lets discuss it separately.

Hey buddy, the steering rattle issue cropped up in my friend's i20 too! But while he recently serviced his car a week ago he complained about this issue the SA. The SA accepted its a design flaw in all i10's and i20's , and now Hyundai has come up with a solution for that by replacing something(don know what and which part exactly).

They said they have changed that part in my friend's i20 and i did travel in his car for sometime , the sound has not come till now!

I advice you also to check with your A.S.S.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #82
Thanks dhaya. However I have had gone till highest authority(from hyundai) over this issue. The truth is it is not a permanent fix. They change the yoke spring and pad and give a specified torque to the spring. After usage and as days pass by the sound re appears. Hence I didn't got it sorted out. It also leads to newer problems.

Changing it in i20 is very easy, can be done in 10 mins. For i10 the entire subframe needs to be removed. After that you won't get factory fit n finish, which leads to many squeaks and rattles.

Thread Starter #83
Did first paid servicing for my i10. Below are the details

Oil -- Changed to Castrol Magnatec. Price - 1300/- for 4l
Effect -- Engine is much smoother now.

Servicing costs
Consumables
consumables -- 117.47 (I guess this is radiator fluid top up)
Oil filter -- 76.00

Labor
Brake pad cleaning 110.00
Throttle body cleaning -- 90
Periodic maintenance service 740.00
Rear brake shoe cleaning 115.00
Caliper greasing 157.50

Total including taxes -- 1555.00 and oil extra 1300 which I purchased outside.

This periodic maintenance service is a robbery IMO! They add that also in my bill each time , wonder what they do for 750bucks![frustration]

Thread Starter #85
I also think it's a day time robbery by Hyundai. Anyways, that's the reason hyundai is on back foot in Pune and offering upto 45k in discounts on i10.

The reason for same is the 'steering rattle', which they are still unable to fix.

Thread Starter #86
One important update -- Got a call from hyundai korea regarding the classic "steering rattle".

Those guys asked me what exactly the problem is?
I answered saying that ' All hyundai cars (read i10 and i20) are plagued with classic "steering rattle" and hyundai has failed to resolve this issue.
Also this issue has arised on new i10's as well. I clearly told them, hyundai is trying to make fool of Indian customer.
I told them to send engineers from korea to inspect my vehicle.

What ratings would you give to hyundai on scale of 1-10?
My answer was -1. In my lifetime, I will never buy a product from hyundai as you guys are cheaters selling faulty product to Indians, and that's the precise reason that we have gone to consumer court. You have no right to sell your faulty products in India.

Those guys were listening and taking notes. But I know nothing will happen as our laws are not that stringent. The only way is to spread this everywhere and prevent people from buying a hyundai product. Which many of us are doing in Pune.

Hyundai has set a benchmark as my car for mileage. Whenever they refer prospects to me, I tell them about the steering rattle first and then mileage, this way making aware of flaws in hyundai product.

Hmmm ya just recently met one of my school friends after a long time , he has an i20 Asta black and he also is suffering from the steering rattle!

But if you can ignore this steering rattle , i10 and i20 are two really good cars.

BTW please don't blame Hyundai cars on the whole , i believe only i10 and i20 suffer from this , my Verna doesn't face this issue. Will be interesting to see if the new fluidic Verna faces this issue because i think the entire steering column is same as i20.

Thread Starter #88
I was blaming hyundai cars as a whole coz, I have seen 4th getz petrol undergoing rack change, two being my friend's. Getz also developed this noise (don't know how). However this was after 50k kms.

As far I have read, they had recalled sonata equivalent from US market due to same noise.

Thread Starter #89
An update from my side regarding steering rattle. My friend had filed a case against hyundai. Here is the email from my friend --

November 01,2011( 10 bloody months after the case was filed!!!!) has been allotted as the first day for the hearing. But our lawyer has advised us not to come, because as per him, nothing will happen that day, except introductions and a brief hearing about the case itself. He said he will take the next date and inform us. This is so that he can hear what Hyundai & their workshop morons have to say about the entire issue and then we can plan our strategy accordingly.

Shall keep you updated reg. the proceedings.

Our pathetic court system. This is why hyundai is not taking it seriously.

Top Bottom