Hyundai Grand i10 Battery Discharging Problem

Do you experience battery discharging issue in your Grand i10 / Xcent?

• Total voters
Re: My Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) Petrol Ownership Review

Hello All,

Just a quick update from my end.

I have kept my Grand covered in parking for 14 days as i was out of station. Yesterday night i came back and today morning with a bit of hesitation entered the car and turned ignition key and it started as if it was driven daily. I have Feb-14 Magna model and i am happy that battery drain issue is not with new models.

The prospective buyers can go for it without worrying about battery drain issue.

My Grand Magna (P) is from Feb 2014 batch and it started within no time after keeping it idle for 14 days. So i guess 2014 batch is not having battery drain issue.

You can surely go for Grand i10, with eyes closed. There is not battery discharge issue now. I started my car after 8 days and it is all fine. So don't worry about that. [:)]
Thanks zenga. can you mention your car's manufacturing date?

Just sharing my experience with all prospective Hyundai customers - As I posted earlier, I most unfortunately & against all advice from well wishers, foolishly bought Grand i10 way back in Oct'13 and ended up with the now (in)famous battery discharge problem. Needless to say, the Huyndai dealer was unresponsive and suggested that I sell off the car in the second hand market. I then filed a case in the Consumer court through a lawyer and the first hearing is due on 2nd July'14. I intend to fight it all the way till these tricksters acknowledge their design mistake and refund my money with interest & compensation.

Hyundai might well have rectified the battery drain problem in new models but what about the affected models like the one I bought in Oct'13? They don't seem to have any solution what so ever and left us in the lurch. I hope the consumer court which I approached will provide me the relief.

Just sharing my experience with all prospective Hyundai customers - As I posted earlier, I most unfortunately & against all advice from well wishers, foolishly bought Grand i10 way back in Oct'13 and ended up with the now (in)famous battery discharge problem. Needless to say, the Huyndai dealer was unresponsive and suggested that I sell off the car in the second hand market. I then filed a case in the Consumer court through a lawyer and the first hearing is due on 2nd July'14. I intend to fight it all the way till these tricksters acknowledge their design mistake and refund my money with interest & compensation.
Sorry to hear your problem. I too made the same mistake and bougth my car on October. I have also faced this issue twice in January and they later did some fixes that time. Later, I once kept my car idle for 10 days and it started without any issue so the issue seem to have disappeared as of now.

Anyways all the best for your hearing, please keep us posted.

Greetings, people. I am a Grand i10 Asta (Petrol) owner and would like to share an insight regarding the "Battery Drain" issue. Having experienced it twice within the last one month. Last time, it was at a busy round about. I had parked the car nearby with the emergency indicators on by the side of the road. I left the fan on at speed 2 as my father was waiting then. When I returned after about 15 minutes and tried to start the car, no response. There was the occasional sound of engine struggling to breathe but I couldn't help but think it had a "bad cough". The Roadside assistance guys came and tried jump starting. It worked. We followed them to the service center for a checkup where the technician said he'd update the "CPU", I knew he meant ECU but the hell with it. I was noticing carefully everything on the screen of the Tech2 meter and noticed a message, "The update is already installed" or a similar one. To my surprise, he stood up with a smile and said? "It's done. There won't be a problem now!". I told him plainly that I didn't see an "Updated ECU successfully" notification come up. The guy kept insisting as I checked the Tech2 with his contempt. The update was rolled out before the Manufacturing month of my car which meant my car had the latest update already installed. I HAD to get to the bottom of this! I started a conversation about ECUs and cattery drain and was able pull out some information about, albeit in the end. So, as it turns out, Hyundai is fully aware of this problem and suspected cars are checked for this at the First Service without the knowledge of the owner. The fault had been traced back to the Instrument Cluster which is said to be hogging the battery levels down. So what now? As the technician put it, 90% of the affected vehicles SHOULD not show the problem after the update. But the vehicles that came with the update already on the ECU, out the factory OR vehicles that had already been updated and are still showing the battery drainage issue... Have to get their whole instrument cluster replaced! (Free of cost, of course.) But the fun part is this. Although Hyundai Motors is AWARE of the problems with this model, they haven't given a full statement with the appropriate information yet. Tonight, my car again sat down "dead" as I was just sitting inside and going to grab some Take-out food for the family. Had to take my father's car instead. Ah... Tomorrow's follow up visit to my mother's doctor after her surgery in Delhi is also surely cancelled as I will have to sit with the skilled technicians and servicemen and figure this mess out. If someone is reading this to make up his/her mind about buying this car, don't buy it! This car is, on paper, the best hatchback this kind of money can buy you, it's the Indian Car of The Year 2013 BUT that's limited to the paper, my friend. This car has flaws, deep ones and a few of them too and they're not going to be rectified in the future. My father is now in a state of dislike for my first car and I have, along with many others, regretted going for the Hyundai! Let's see what the future holds now. If only I could go back in time and smack my head for distinguish buying these wheels. Oh well. Will provide you folks with a follow-up report after today's service station visit. I promise I'll make it shorter this time.
Excellent feedback. I'm one of the badly affected customer who got trapped by the features and bought the "Grand" in Oct'13. The second time the battery discharged, I sent it to the service center & refused to take it back. Just imagine, I've not been able to drive a new car on which I invested about Rs.6 lakhs and it's with the service center for the past seven moths. I've already filed a case through a reputed lawyer (not minding the fee as I'm determined to get justice) and the first hearing is over. The reason I'm sharing this info is to make people aware that Hyndai is a third rate company without any commitment. They are in the market just to loot the people of their hard earned money through some cheap useless models. Beware!

bhvm

Honoured Member
I have an Old 2008 Hyundai i10 ASTA O
The car stands almost for 10~15 days idle because i have other cars around. Never faced the Battery Issue. However I am aware that all hyundai i10s have VERY weak electrical system. Because as soon as I turn on my headlights (They're factory 55w headlights) the Cabin lights and instrument lights dim quite a bit!

I was planning to upgrade the headlamps to 100/90w, but seeing such behavior I have skipped it completely. Since then i have added LED DIY High beam assists (8 watts) . and kept the Factory 55w headlights.

I took out my Multimeter and Found that With Engine ON, the battery voltage was 13.6V. With headlights turned on , it swooped down to a disappointing 12.11 Volts. Its not enough to Charge the battery as Battery needs 14v to charge properly.

My XUV on the other hand, Keeps 14.2 volts no matter what load you put on it. ( I already have amp+woofer and Fog lamps)

I guess hyundai needs to pay attention to its electrical system. Imagine what will happen if someone puts-
>High powered Amp and Subwoofer
>High power fog lamps (Hellas)
>100W bulbs upgrade
>Fancy horns
The battery may simply burst!

Next time my battery needs a replacement I may try to retrofit a larger battery rater than the puny 45Amp which hyundai has provided. It will atleast be charged during daytime and will help for headlights at night.

bhvm

Honoured Member
I came to learn that Hyundai i10 uses a 35 AMP battery! How Disdainful![frustration]
Hyundai i10 1.1 Battery - Buy Car Battery for Hyundai i10 1.1 Petrol: Battery Bhai

Divide the wattage by 12v to get amps, like this-

2 headlights (60watts x2)= 10 Amps
Music system 10 Amps
Cabin lamps & Instrument cluster- 2 amps
Engine Misc and ECU- lets call 10 Amps
2 Fog lights 27w x2 = 4.5 amps

Total load on battery- 37 amps!
Excuse me!?[confused] 37 amps load on 35 A battery?

Hyundai are you mad or something? [anger]

All the people who have sued Hyundai via a lawyer or consumer court, Please take this calculation and slap it onto those bufoons! (Hyundai engineers)

XUV 500 has 80AMP battery-
Mahindra XUV500

Lets see-
All Headlights- 23 Amps (2x 50W high beams, 2x 50w Projectors 2x H8 35w FOG laps)
HU and music system- 15A
Interior and Cluster lights- 2A (they're LEDs and probably less than 1A, but still)
Engine and ECU, Sensors 10A

Aftermarket amp- 15A

Total- 65A even with SUBWOOFER. And 15 amps still left!. That's how its done.

Last edited:
I am facing battery drain out problem since purchasing i. e. From Nov2015. I have complained the same to dealer but every time declared during servicing that problem has been rectified. I use my vehicle daily so the problem didn't come to notice. After few months same problem I have faced. I have informed the problem to dealer in every servicing. Recently I have called up customer care they informed that your car now out of warranty, so we can't do anything.
I want to tell that I have face bitter experience with my Grand i10 and also from Hyundai and it's dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biswajyothi,
You have to replace battery, i think batteries come with atleast 1 year warranty. Hyundai service is supposed to replace under warranty if battery is under warranty( warranty of battery is 1 year) .
it is not covered under vehicle warranty. If they dont give replacement for battery ask with the batteriy's service centre.

Greetings, people. I am a Grand i10 Asta (Petrol) owner and would like to share an insight regarding the "Battery Drain" issue. Having experienced it twice within the last one month. Last time, it was at a busy round about. I had parked the car nearby with the emergency indicators on by the side of the road. I left the fan on at speed 2 as my father was waiting then. When I returned after about 15 minutes and tried to start the car, no response. There was the occasional sound of engine struggling to breathe but I couldn't help but think it had a "bad cough". The Roadside assistance guys came and tried jump starting. It worked. We followed them to the service center for a checkup where the technician said he'd update the "CPU", I knew he meant ECU but the hell with it. I was noticing carefully everything on the screen of the Tech2 meter and noticed a message, "The update is already installed" or a similar one. To my surprise, he stood up with a smile and said? "It's done. There won't be a problem now!". I told him plainly that I didn't see an "Updated ECU successfully" notification come up. The guy kept insisting as I checked the Tech2 with his contempt. The update was rolled out before the Manufacturing month of my car which meant my car had the latest update already installed. I HAD to get to the bottom of this! I started a conversation about ECUs and cattery drain and was able pull out some information about, albeit in the end. So, as it turns out, Hyundai is fully aware of this problem and suspected cars are checked for this at the First Service without the knowledge of the owner. The fault had been traced back to the Instrument Cluster which is said to be hogging the battery levels down. So what now? As the technician put it, 90% of the affected vehicles SHOULD not show the problem after the update. But the vehicles that came with the update already on the ECU, out the factory OR vehicles that had already been updated and are still showing the battery drainage issue... Have to get their whole instrument cluster replaced! (Free of cost, of course.) But the fun part is this. Although Hyundai Motors is AWARE of the problems with this model, they haven't given a full statement with the appropriate information yet. Tonight, my car again sat down "dead" as I was just sitting inside and going to grab some Take-out food for the family. Had to take my father's car instead. Ah... Tomorrow's follow up visit to my mother's doctor after her surgery in Delhi is also surely cancelled as I will have to sit with the skilled technicians and servicemen and figure this mess out. If someone is reading this to make up his/her mind about buying this car, don't buy it! This car is, on paper, the best hatchback this kind of money can buy you, it's the Indian Car of The Year 2013 BUT that's limited to the paper, my friend. This car has flaws, deep ones and a few of them too and they're not going to be rectified in the future. My father is now in a state of dislike for my first car and I have, along with many others, regretted going for the Hyundai! Let's see what the future holds now. If only I could go back in time and smack my head for distinguish buying these wheels. Oh well. Will provide you folks with a follow-up report after today's service station visit. I promise I'll make it shorter this time.
Hi. Are u sure the instrumnt cluster is the issue? Will changing it solve the issue?
I have a Sept 13 manufactured Era sold to me in Jan 14. Battery issue was an issue even if the car wss idle for 3-4 days. After I requested for help on Hyundai FB page, the service centre blamed it on a supposed burnt junction box becoz of an aftermarket stereo and autocop system. They removed the 2 fuses for stereo and the one nxt to it. Now no stereo, roof lamp, trip meters or recirculation switch memory.
I was asked to pay 15k for a replacemnt junction box as now the warranty was void as per them.I refused and used the car without these features for over 5 yrs.
Got a mechanic to activate these things using external connections during the lockdown. But the trip meter was not rewired. I did a diy like what the mechanic did for the other parts to restore the trip meter function. 3 days later the battery is flat.
So I suppose it cound be with the instrumnt cluster. Wont a replacemnt clucter be same? How will it solve the issue?

Today I checked the current leakage, trying to isolate the battery leakage issue. The memory connection for the stereo, clock, roof lamp and instrument cluster is taken directly from the battery.
Current drawn with stereo, clock n roof lamp off was 0.01 amp. With the autocop alarm added, the current drawn was 0.03 amps. As soon as I connected the cluster memory, the current consumption jumped to 0.16 amps. Without the cluster memory, the current drops again. But the trip meters reset everytime the ignition switch goes off. I have used the car that way for over 5 yrs now, but the trip meter is a handy item to calculate fuel economy.
Lets see, after the covid situation settles down, will check if the cluster can be fixed without replacing it. Stay safe everyone.

Top Bottom