Hyundai Fluidic Verna SX (O) VTVT Black: 7 Months & 7000 Kms Ownership Review

Re: Hyundai Fluidic Verna SX (O) VTVT Black 2013 - 7 months & 7000 KM Ownership revie

Hi All,

Choice
Verna / Vento / City

Vento
For: German engineering, Build Quality, Executive design, and Features
Against: Uncomfortable driving position (6’1”), Plastic feel of dash, less headroom

City
For: Liked it for many years, VMT, Driving Comfort, and Performance
Against: Needs facelift or new age design, Ground Clearance, Not exciting interiors

Verna
For: Fluidic design, driving comfort, classy interiors except wooden finish, features
Against: Suspension, Ground Clearance, Lighting, Delicate bumper and fog lamps

My priority: Comfort, Performance, Features

I decided to buy Verna based on my priorities. Now, the question I had in my mind then was “Petrol / Diesel?”. Majority of my commute will be in the city and with very occasional long drives. Basically, not more than 1000 Km a month. Obvious calculations were pushing me towards buying petrol car.
And, also long life of Petrol engine than a Diesel engine. Not that diesel engines are inferior. But, heard that cabin noise increases over the time.
On the other hand, Diesel engine is turbo charged, and Hyundai Petrol engine is not. Came to know about Linea TJet couple of months later but it was not on my buying list. Heard that it is an awesome engine. Loved the performance of Turbo charged 1.6 Diesel engine which felt in 3rd gear.
Since my overall usage is not exceeding 1000km a month, felt no point in going for Diesel engine.

Selected the SX(O) version as I felt the options given were worth. Push Start Button, Lock/Unlock buttons on Door Handles, and the most important 6 Airbags.
Loan was from Kotak Mahindra. Processing was fast and Delivery was super quick (5 days). Of course, no waiting for Petrol engines.

Driving Experience
This is the first car in my family. But, I driven many of my friends’ cars in the past 10 years.

Oh boy, my initial driving feelings were without a doubt FANTASTIC. Car was super comfortable provided no big potholes on the road. I never revved the engine beyond 2K RPM till the ODO clocked 3000 KM.

Some say, it is not necessary to RUN-IN the new engines and they are already delivered having completed RUN-IN at factory. But, I didn’t want to take any chance. I decided to wait till the ODO reach 3000 mark. Till that time, I enjoyed driving the vehicle understanding the maneuverability etc.

I finished 3000KM in around 2 months. After that, I could get the confidence to get the monster out of the machine. The car just gives a woof feeling in 3rd gear after 3500 RPM. Engine noise is Ok. Certainly lower than the other cars in the same segment.
Driven car at 170KMPH just once on an empty road. The car felt stable in the corners around 140Kmph but not after that. Reason is obvious that every Verna owner is aware. The Suspension. [roll]
I normally drive at 80-120Kmph on highways where I am comfortable with my car.

I felt the suspension is just too soft which is already a constant cribbing of all Verna owners. I joined them too. Though there were TSBs released by Hyundai I don’t think there is no noticeable change in the suspension. Not sure about the latest face-listed Verna. When I visited showroom I observed a noticeable height increase. (Especially the gap between rear tyre and the body). May be, the new owners can comment on that.

One should get used to the boat like feel of the car at speeds beyond 100kmph. On the other side, crossing a speed hump (Bangalore Standard) should be done very carefully to avoid cardiac attacks by the sudden dragging noise of underbody. Car just goes down too much. I felt it really annoying. Why Hyundai gave such a soft suspension to their number 1 sedan? I have no idea.
And, the fog lamps!! They are too delicate like a paper joint. SA has no answer for this as usual. They just simply say “This is normal” for whatever we ask for. [frustration]

Fuel efficiency is around 12-13kmpl in City and 17-18kmpl on highways. For me, this is more than satisfactory. I have no complaints on FE. These figures were constant and I tested them based on the iPhone apps using tankful method.

All in all, I love the comfort and performance of Petrol Verna.

Posting the pics of my car, the black beauty.[;)]

Amazing pictures. I also have same exact version purchased in Feb this year, although i am not using any wax or polish to maintain the shine. For now, going with the daily guy who cleans in the morning. I have some minor scratches as well which i believe should go after rubbing with "scratch out" type of solution. But you are getting a good mileage, for me it is hardly ever crossed 10 kmpl.

Thread Starter #17
Re: Hyundai Fluidic Verna SX (O) VTVT Black 2013 - 7 months & 7000 KM Ownership revie

Guys, saw 2014 new verna at Bangalore Advaith. It is not on the showcase yet. I am so sorry that I couldn't take the pic as I was in a hurry but managed to get the variant comparison sheet. The projector head lamps are just mind-blowing.. I just fell in love with them.

Checked the price of the project headlamps and rear lights set. Total cost 70.
34K only for project headlamps.

Attachments

Great information Venky . Imo simple projectors and taillamps are not worth sparing airbags .

Thread Starter #19

I was puzzled about it too. It is certainly a bad news for the people who don't compromise on safety.

Any idea on the price(ex-showroom ) though? Next time if you get a chance to see the projectors in person do check if there is verna name embedded on it like the rexton.

Thread Starter #21

sure Pradeep.. I am going there to drop my vehicle for 2nd service.. I will get those details. :)

Thread Starter #22

But I am sure, it was 2014 model cuz it was hyundai employee I was talking to.. I asked him if it was a 2014 model, and he answered yes.. :) Let me get more details though..

I guess its hyundai's cost cutting at it again. They just could've increased the prices and kept the four air bags. For the most guys I know that have the top variant, their criteria for choosing it was the air bags and smart key.

Well I see all the details, I don’t make sense what is for all that. Key less entry for all models and no airbags for base model. I heard about auto headlight feature, I will miss this definitely. I don’t care about rest of all. I’m happy with my car.

All its looks like as days passing by the car is getting cheaper. About the airbags there could be other reason many time it happens during accident airbag don’t deploy and people claim cases against the company and they own easily. I recently saw a news for a Mercedes car where the driver dead due to airbag failed. So for Hyundai, less airbags less chances of failure.

There is only cost cutting from Hyundai side. No real improvement. It would have been beneficial if they improve suspension set up rather than these cosmetic changes. Till there is no solution for suspension problem in after market also.

I got the top variant just because of the Airbags. Other things like keyless entry are good to have feature. They are more focused on the headlamps area...rather then essential safety features. As sandy said, they could have worked upon the suspension.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

A member dbarma opened a thread of his new verna with the projector headlamps. Now it has been deleted for some reason [confused]

May be his thread was moved to in progress anyways eagerly waiting for that thread to gather some information on the projectors (may be I Would get one if I like it).

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Don't know :/ he said bulbs were halogen. Will go to a nearest showroom and will enquire about the same.

Edit : on the indian site.

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom