Hyundai Fluidic Verna 1.6 (2012) CRDi EX: 81,000+ Kms

Thread Starter #151
i request Members to kindly comment on these:

Forward Gear Problems:
(1) On a recent 1,250km drive, i noticed that gears were NOT engaging instantly ; i don't exactly remember the shift pattern, but it was there BETWEEN GEARS, both UP & DOWN; even for "N to 1st"... "1st to 2nd" ... "3rd to 4th"... "5th to 3rd" ... "3rd to 2nd" etc. Only 5th to 6th went in smooth ALWAYS. It was NOT that i had trouble shifting every-time; gear shifting was perfectly NORMAL, but suddenly the gear would NOT engage... I had to push lever to neutral position and then engage the intended gear, while on the move. Due to this occasional trouble, i decided NOT to make my daughter drive.
(2) In total, over the 1,250 km round trip, this forward gear problem was observed some 40-50 times; some 5 to 8 times in the return leg of ~ 620 km (problem occured mostly during the onward trip). At the destination, Verna was in Hotel Parking Lot and no body touched it for 2 days.

Reverse Gear Problems:
(1)
About 2/3rd into the drive, i gave car to the Valet Parking attendant; when he shifted to reverse, i heard a "kkirrr ... kkirrr ... kkirrr sound" coming from the Car. I told attendant to PULL-UP the chrome button on the Gear Lever BEFORE moving the Lever for Reverse. He did and this time no sound.
(2) Later we resumed the journey and reached our destination. i "pulled-up first and then shifted the Lever", but the "kkirrr ... kkirrr ... kkirrr sound" came. It was pronounced that those nearby turned to look at the Car. I moved the Car forward by few inches and reversed, it engaged without any noise.
(3)
While returning to home, used Reverse Gear at few places, and it engaged without any sound.

Steering Problems:
The first 460km of the Return Journey was pretty smooth. A little distance after crossing Dharmapuri, suddenly i felt the STEERING was NOT PRECISE above 140 kph. I found some PLAY around the Center; quickly I dropped speed and started my own testing on straights. I found that STEERING was PERFECT till 130kph and the PLAY occurred above 140kph. Limited my speeds to 110 kph for the remaining 160 odd km; Drive was smooth and reached home at 1:00 am.

My Queries to TAI Members:
(a)
Odo crossed 83,000 km. Been driving Car for past 4 days without any issues in slotting into ANY Gear. i would like to hear your views on WHY did the "Forward & Reverse Gear Problems" occur ?
(b)
What could be the REASON for STEERING Problem ? Calibration ??
(c)
i plan to ask the Service Center look at the Car. At this 83,000km Odo reading, is it better to continue with Hyundai A$$ or something like Pitstop etc ?

i request Members to kindly comment on above. Thanks in advance.
Sorry Guys, for NOT updating this thread earlier. i was too much occupied at work and simply sleeping at home once back at Home.

CLUTCH Assy REPLACED & Gear Problem Solved: In this quoted post Dt 02-Aug-19, i mentioned about the Gear & Steering Problems. Sent the Car to Trident on 4th Sep 2019 and they changed the Clutch Plate etc, delivered the Car that day evening and charged me Rs. 41,493/. Driven Car for about 5,000 km since then and Gear Shifting Problem is sorted out. Attaching the Bill for Ref and for records.

Clutch Chng Bill.jpg

Steering Problem: A$$ said they checked THIS and everything was fine. Only in 1st week of Oct 2019, i could check this out on the Highway; the Problem was STILL THERE, but at 130 kph itself :err:. i contacted the CRO assigned to me by Trident the next week, and was asked to bring my Car to A$$. Did that on 15th Oct 2019. i settled in the Rear Seat while a young Guy drove my Verna ; his driving style was almost like mine and i relaxed . The moment the Speedo touched 130 kph, the Problem appeared ; after a few such attempts, they were convinced that it was coming from the Front Right wheel and due to Wheel Balancing Issue (WA & WB is done at low speed blah blah blah). We returned to the A$$ and i started waiting.Their WB & WA m/c couldn't throw any light. They removed the Tyre and found a dent in the Front Right Rim (darned potholes); they got onto the Job and i went back to the Lounge. IIRC, after about 2 Hrs of entering A$$, i drove my Verna out. Bit later i took her to the NH and pushed it gingerly to 130 ... 140 ... 155 ... 165... didn't push beyond that, due to traffic density. Since then till last Saturday, on many occasions i tested my Verna till 160 kph and can safely say that the PROBLEM is SOLVED.

The Customer Centric Attitude of Trident Hyundai , Yeshwantpur in this episode is really praise worthy; They didn't try to shy away, just because this was a 2012 Model Car. i was delighted and dropped an appreciation mail to all concerned. i would make use of this opportunity to thank once again Team consisting of :
Ms.Chandrakala, CRO, Trident, Yeswantpur
Mr.Prashank Pattar, Sr.Service Advisor
Mr.Rajesh, Road Tester
- this Guy KNEW how to CAREFULLY handle a 126 bhp engine. Kudos.

BTW, Odo has just crossed 89,700 km. Due for 90K Service. Thinking of doing it soon. One heck of a Car [drive] this 1.6 CRDi Verna is

'Bye for now.

Last edited:

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Sorry Guys, for NOT updating this thread earlier. i was too much occupied at work and simply sleeping at home once back at Home.

CLUTCH Assy REPLACED & Gear Problem Solved: In this quoted post Dt 02-Aug-19, i mentioned about the Gear & Steering Problems. Sent the Car to Trident on 4th Sep 2019 and they changed the Clutch Plate etc, delivered the Car that day evening and charged me Rs. 41,493/. Driven Car for about 5,000 km since then and Gear Shifting Problem is sorted out. Attaching the Bill for Ref and for records.
Gave car for 80,000 km service last month with Odo at 80,639 km.Parts amounted to Rs. 7,831 and Lbr was Rs. 9,183. Total service cost was Rs. 17,015 .
That's quite a heavy bill! Specially for a 85k kms run car. Already 60,000/- spent since the car crossed 80k kms. Labour is costly. And spares are costlier!
But in the end All's well that Ends well.So congrats for " again almost like new car".
You sure love your car.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #154
That's quite a heavy bill! Specially for a 85k kms run car. Already 60,000/- spent since the car crossed 80k kms. Labour is costly. And spares are costlier!
But in the end All's well that Ends well.So congrats for " again almost like new car".
You sure love your car.
The expenditure being a bit on the higher side ... As I'm NOT bored with the Car, not planning to get a new one either [:)] it's worth to spend to keep the Car in right condition, isn't it ?

Am mildly considering trying out with GoBumpr or "someone Reliable" for the 90K Service, just to see how they are with Service & Charges.

Changing the (7 Yrs old) Seat Covers too - keeping budget low within ₹ 10,000. Soooo, with the 90,000 km Service due, another expenditure of 20-25K in the pipeline in next 10 days. Life is like that [;)]

Better to keep this jewel with you than buying a new one at this point of time , as market itself is in a confused state.
Maintenance cost is always a plume shaped curve , from 0-40k it goes in a steady pace ..then it shoots up gradually till 1.2L , and then it declines. Again trend arises from 1.6L onwards ....
As you said , life is like that .

Top Bottom