Hyundai Elite i20 VTVT Asta (O) Phantom Black: Ownership Review

A small thought I have is, post any clutch change, especially Hydraulic clutches, you need to give it some time for setting in. During this time, it is better advised to drive around in mixed driving conditions for 200-500kms, the more the better (Like that of run-in). In your case, I suspect completely driving in crawling traffic to play more damage to the slave cylinder.
I have a Verna Petrol 2014 model, 1.6VTVT, which went clutch overhaul at 55kkms, it is currently 72kkms. Except for a squeaking noise(It comes in and goes mostly after driving in rains). The pedal has the same issue, it became rock hard before the clutch change, now it depends on where it is driven. If driven for 10-15kms in crawling traffic, the clutch becomes rock hard. But it goes off as it cools off.

Thread Starter #47
A small thought I have is, post any clutch change, especially Hydraulic clutches, you need to give it some time for setting in. During this time, it is better advised to drive around in mixed driving conditions for 200-500kms, the more the better (Like that of run-in). In your case, I suspect completely driving in crawling traffic to play more damage to the slave cylinder.
I have a Verna Petrol 2014 model, 1.6VTVT, which went clutch overhaul at 55kkms, it is currently 72kkms. Except for a squeaking noise(It comes in and goes mostly after driving in rains). The pedal has the same issue, it became rock hard before the clutch change, now it depends on where it is driven. If driven for 10-15kms in crawling traffic, the clutch becomes rock hard. But it goes off as it cools off.
Right on the Verna the pedal would behave this way and a little gap or a break it would get back to normal
On the i20 the pedal would move freely but the mechanism would get stuck mostly with the clutch pressed so as the car would not move forward even while in gear and foot off the clutch pedal.
this ordeal gets unsafe and highly embarrassing while in traffic .
I feel Hyundai should’ve made these fixes. Weird that in the past ten years lot of people face these same issues over various model years

Thread Starter #49
It is Hyundai DNA[cheers]: Steering issue (40k kms-60kkms), Master Cylinder(Atleast once), Suspension issue(40-60kkms)
So far haven’t faced suspension issue, there is some noise at very selective stubborn bumps but everything on the suspension seems fine.
the steering yes I did notice it does make some noises but just like the Verna greasing the mdps makes it fine. Master cylinder has been changed few times most of it in warranty and one time out of warranty slave cylinder once and then recently that repair kit

Hyundais are designed for 5 years: You abuse it, you drive it sedately. It will be rock solid for 5 years. After 5 years, it will show all its true colors, irrespective of how it was driven.

Thread Starter #51
So planning to sell it
I checked cars24 and spinnys online estimate shows 4.7-5-5l
I know for a fact that dealers will add their pricing on top of it and sell after seeing the used car section on some of these sites I see lower variants listed for 1-1.5l more than the estimate they show for mine
Carwales valuation lists 6.3-6.75l but says it’s for another variant I guess it’s the two air bag variant and not the 6 air bag one which I have.
so how much should I be asking?
Also the rto transfers should we initiate the transfer and get acknowledgment from rto and then hand over the car?
or get cleared full payment hand over car and then initiate rto process?
We had a bad experience when the Verna went into total loss and sold to salvager, salvager took over a year to transfer registration to new owner and during that time period some unpaid rto fines got listed for various offences to us in the period the salvager had the car

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Best option will be taking the car to a physical shop to get a quote. Online they always quote higher and in person they drop the prices like crazy.

Friend's tuscon in excellent condition was quoted 14.5 lakhs on cars24 and when they came home to check(there was literally nothing to check since car was in immaculate condition) they quoted 10.5 lakhs.
Aftermarket he's getting 12.5 lakhs.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #53
Best option will be taking the car to a physical shop to get a quote. Online they always quite higher and in person they drop the prices like crazy.

Friend's tuscon in excellent condition was quoted 14.5 lakhs on cars24 and when they came home to check(there was literally nothing to check since car was in immaculate condition) they quoted 10.5 lakhs.
Aftermarket he's getting 12.5 lakhs.
I heard these dealers don’t really bother of cars service records or the condition. For most that have not kept the car well and want quick cash I guess these places are fine.
I don’t mind spending time and getting a good value for it and no tensions of liability later

deville_56

Honoured Member
Also the rto transfers should we initiate the transfer and get acknowledgment from rto and then hand over the car?
or get cleared full payment hand over car and then initiate rto process?
We had a bad experience when the Verna went into total loss and sold to salvager, salvager took over a year to transfer registration to new owner and during that time period some unpaid rto fines got listed for various offences to us in the period the salvager had the car
They are just middle men and won't initiate transfer unless they sell it to someone else. Might change hand with multiple dealers, but till it's sold, it would be our headache only. They will give false promise that no worries after they take the car. Not only CAR24, but almost all used car dealers. Their minimum profit margin is flat 10% and for anything extra, the surveyor or the sales guy would get a cut, so they low ball as much as possible.

Our agony through Ford dealership. Our Car Exchanged at Ford Dealership. It was a narrow miss. The accident ended in a narcotic case.

Thread Starter #56
Sad to see that you had gone through a bad experiences Niggy Bhai.

Since you are planning to sell off your i20, which car are you getting as the replacement?
Not yet decided
As of now haven’t sold it

Other days check engine light was blinking and engine was misfiring and then stopped misfiring and check engine light went away never came back
Did a scan of history codes listed random misfire and misfire cylinder one

got a service appointment for tomorrow
Will get the spark plugs changed, clan the throttle body if needed, change fuel filter as well as drive belt (seeing some ribbing on the exterior of belt) besides the other service stuff

got this oil for the car

0BD1CE7C-366A-4F01-9F06-6100A4092D08.jpeg

Thread Starter #57
Got the service done
They have said the steering rack and universal joint would need to be changed cause of rattle but it’s not severe as of now

rear power windows are not working found the master switch (drivers side ) faulty no stock of it

fuel filter o ring was not available so could not get that changed

rest all done as requested

they state drive belt change was not needed but I still pushed for it glad I did noticed it was hard after removing
CB1C19AA-13B2-49E0-9AFB-A2ED41EB4F84.jpeg
50EA92F4-1E20-4843-8859-A6DD8FB7CB4D.jpeg

318EBE48-1962-4D0C-B6F2-365905567F48.jpeg

condition of the spark plugs not sure if those are good or bad but made them change anyway

Hyundais are designed for 5 years: You abuse it, you drive it sedately. It will be rock solid for 5 years. After 5 years, it will show all its true colors, irrespective of how it was driven.
But my Santro Xing 2013 was with me for 100 months, and no such teething issues or concerns were faced by me till the day I sold it and till date by the second owner who is happily driving the car.

Got the service done
They have said the steering rack and universal joint would need to be changed cause of rattle but it’s not severe as of now

rear power windows are not working found the master switch (drivers side ) faulty no stock of it

fuel filter o ring was not available so could not get that changed

rest all done as requested

they state drive belt change was not needed but I still pushed for it glad I did noticed it was hard after removing View attachment 290063 View attachment 290064
View attachment 290065
condition of the spark plugs not sure if those are good or bad but made them change anyway
Spark plugs appear to be good. Some cleaning would get it perfect. But replacing would be an ideal solution.

Top Bottom