Hyundai Elite i20 VTVT Asta (O) Phantom Black: Ownership Review

Got to see a black i20 first time. i have not seen any on the roads. Anyway it looks terrific. What kind of chemical you used for gloss. is it compatible with other colours too ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nick,
What is this "chemical guys blacklight" thingy?
Detailing of some sort?
Got to see a black i20 first time .. i have not seen any on the roads .. Anyway it looks terrific .. What kind of chemical u used for gloss .. is it compatible with other colours too ?
@nickandre's car has been treated with chemical guys blacklight (Chemical Guys - Black Light Hybrid Radiant Finish (16 oz)) on it. It gives hybrid radiant gloss finish for dark colour shade cars.

Please watch this video for more info on CG Blacklight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQpj0MgHeAg

There is also hybrid radiant gloss enhancer for light colour car called chemical guys white light.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #34
well the car is now 4 months old and is near 7000km, no issues found with the car yet, tho two stray incidents when a biker banged into my rear and an innova cut of in front and scraped the bumper.

The bads
- Engine sounds like a diesel when you start up in the morning
- Interiors seem to lack the quality, hyundai was known for post the 2011 verna
- No cd player(not an issue for most)
-

I am surprised after seeing this, I own (Nov) 2014 Elite Asta (When there was no Asta Option and Asta was the top model itself). I have found Engine to be quiet when idle, even if it is early morning or late evening startup.

I have seen almost all hatch in same segment and few sedans as well, I dont find any single hatch who has got better interiors than elite i20.

Perhaps, mine being Asta (without navig). CD player is there in Car.

Clocked 55000 so far.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Engines do settle a bit at anywhere from 15~35k Kms.
My i10 engine really opened up past 30k Kms. I guess the OP's i20 engine will also get smoother and more powerful after some time.

Thread Starter #37
well get the noise issue checked during my 2nd service theres a weird noise on idle if you drive it and stop for a while.

While im not saying the interiors are bad, the quality isnt what it used to be.

Thread Starter #38
Car has clocked 15500 km in the first year.
Issues faced was noisy suspension, some noises from the rear and steering rattle and rattle from center console.
Showroom greased and torqued the bolts and then removed and refit the bushings noise went away but came back after some 100km. For the rear noise they did some tapping for the seat hooks and parcel tray problem not solved.
I need to get both the bumpers and a fender repainted, was dented by a biker cutting off. Showroom quoted me 18k.
Havent bothered to check the fe.
Otherwise car seems great and atleast the engine lets you have some fun so thats a plus.

Thread Starter #39
Car is almost nearing 2 years in September, i clocked about 29,000 km.
No issues noticed besides the steering rattle which was on the verna as well. Its not bad however.
Car was due for the 30k km service amd hyundai kept calling for reminders 6 months post my last service saying we have to do a service every 5000 km or 6 months even though manual clearly stated 10k km/1 year. I told them i use synthetic oil and theyd still ask to do service every 5k km. I did notice on the i20 the oil turns black and thick quicker.
This time i decided to try another oil other than mobil 1 i use usually. I got the amsoil signature series 5w30 which is an api-sn resouece conserving oil certified for 25,000 miles/1 year or 15,000 miles for severe usage without their oil filters. Decided it should last till 10k on the i20.
I booked my service appointment with the dealer this time they refused to use my oil saying they now also have synthetic oil from shell and quoted 4000 for 4litres where as you can get that same oil for 2600 and its just a group 3 synth oil. I did use it once on the verna noticed the idle was not that smooth and there was some valve noise at cold start, mobil 1 felt better
After speaking to my friend in the dealership they agreed to use my oil.
I asked them to retorq the underchasis bolts, carry out alignment and balancing, clean spark plugs and replace the air filter and cabin air filter.
The service advisor started filling in the job sheet and handed it to me.
I saw an estimate of 15,000, questioned him
He stated 30,000 km is a major service we need to change the gear oil, brake oil, coolant, spark plugs, do an engine decarb and fuel system sanitization i told him i have no issues and i use premium fuels not regular he still kept saying its needed.
I had checked the service recommendation listed in users manuals and unlike the verna where it was listed to do this first at 30,000km and then after 1lakh km here its not the case, its listed to be done much later. He even asked me to change the spark plugs
Usually i would not have issues going ahead with this. But the quotation was tooo high! I had paid 6-8 thousand for verna including my own oil at the 30k service.
Their quotation was
Oil filter-200
Air filter-500
Cabin air filter-900
Spark plugs- 1000
Gear oil- 800
Chasis bolt retorq-600
Throttle body clean-550
Caliper greasing-550
Brakes cleaning-500
Wheel alignment-1800
Consumables - 450
Paid service charges - 2300

And some more things.
I remembered when verna was on paid services the brakes cleaning and caliper greasing was included in that. Here he stated it is not and never was and clutch check and general check and wash is included in paid service.
The spare parts pricing he had called someone and wrote it down
I refused to get the car serviced there.
The service manager came and asked is it too much?
I told them this was not right! He then started to cancel some stuff and said final would be 7-8 thousand i still refused.
I ended up taking the car back and brought the filters from their own parts store in the same workshop.
Oilfilter for 89
Air filter for 328
Cabin filter for 500
All inclusive of taxes.
I even asked for spark plugs the store asked me how much km driven? I said 30,000 he said sir you have lot of time left if you dont have issues dont even bother to remove and clean they last long.
About gear oil he said its a long life gear oil nothing needs to be done till post 80,000 km when you check.

I got the parts from hyundai for 900
Had paid 3600 for the amsoil oils
Took the car out and got the oil changed, wheel aligned and balanced and got a nice pressure wash done where they lift the car up.
The garage i got the oil changed from, regreased and torqed the bolts, did clutch bleeding as well i knew it needed to be done but hyundai kept saying my clutch plate needs ro be changed, i did not tell this garage what to do just told him issues and he went and did the bleeding.
Paid him 600 they even topped up battery fluid, coolant, windshield washer, and brake fluids as well as blew air through the condenser and radiator.
Pressure wash guy took 300
Alignment folks took 950 needed about 60 grams of weight in total used the sticker weights.
I dont care if hyundai voids my warranty. No way im going to put up with their arm twisting tactics to pay them a huge load. Heck getting a warranty claim is not easy with them. They will deny anything is wrong or lie that they have fixed the issue.
I spoke to a friend of mine who has a 2017 asta (o) petrol he stated in his last free service they charged 2500
I find hyundais ads misleading where they state low cost of ownership yearly 2500 service costs.

I even downloaded and updated the maps via hyundais map update site and now have android auto mirror link and car play on my system.
Any i20 owners that has an avn that does not have sd card alot can get android auto provided car is made after august 2016

Thread Starter #40
Been a long gap since updates
The car will turn 5 years in September and has clocked 50,000km
Been low usage past year and a half cause of the pandemic

so far the only issues I have had is with the clutch already have changed the master and slave cylinder 4 times but it reoccurs after few months. The service Center said the slave cylinder life is barely 6 months.
The most recent incident made me frustrated as well as embarrassed when in the middle of traffic it just stops moving forward and then needing a few minutes to cool of before functioning normally again. This is the third time that it’s happened in these 5 years. I took it to outside garages to try and get a bleeding done since taking it to the dealership would involve few hours for getting a minor job done. Every garage I visited said the same replace the cylinders this is a known issue on the i20 there’s no permanent fix. I ended up taking it to the dealership who said they will swap the seals and spring in the slave cylinder with a clutch release repair kit (costs 700 with labor and taxes) so far it hasn’t acted up but the pedal does feel hard. They suggested replacing the clutch kit as they feel the pressure plate maybe affected though I find no slippage.
If it may help any one the clutch release repair kit part # is 41710022KKQQH

The other warranty claim was the air con compressor and later the solenoid.
Though I liked the car minus the interiors feeling a bit cramped up the clutch issues have given a sour taste that now days I prefer using a cab if I have to go through stop and go traffic.

I have switched the car over to amsoil signature series 5w30 since the 20k km oil change and found the oil superior with less drop in level and the oil not turning thicker sooner as compared to Mobil 1
Then engine idles much more smoother.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
The service Center said the slave cylinder life is barely 6 months.
The most recent incident made me frustrated as well as embarrassed when in the middle of traffic it just stops moving forward and then needing a few minutes to cool of before functioning normally again.
This is such pathetic. Looks like a design Flaw which is pretty embarrassing, both for the owner and the brand.
Something like this in the west would have caused Class Action lawsuit and mass recall until proper part is designed.

Clutch & Associated cylinders do last a long time. I have seen 10+ years on many of my cars.

deville_56

Honoured Member
The service Center said the slave cylinder life is barely 6 months.
They are just bluffing to hide their incompetency.

We had/have 2 i20 CRDIs, one sold at 45kish km and other still running in the 1.3L range and never faced such a dealer-claimed low-life clutch parts. The high-miler one had clutch plates and some components changed at 85k km, after that clutch is untouched, may be bled in between.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
That's sad to hear. I don't know what's with hyundai, one part keeps on failing. My i10 had evap coil issue. My friends i10 has eps motor issue.
Maybe you just need to keep the part getting replaced or maybe some other thing is causing the part to fail ?

Ps : welcome back.

so far the only issues I have had is with the clutch already have changed the master and slave cylinder 4 times but it reoccurs after few months. The service Center said the slave cylinder life is barely 6 months.
Have been facing the same issues with my Verna as well. The Clutch is definitely a sore point for the car. My FNG said this a common thing for most of the Hyundai's with Hydraulic Clutch.

The New Repair Kit offering is a sign that Hyundai is well aware of this as well!

Thread Starter #45
Well in the Verna the clutch pedal would act up but it never got to a point where the car would not move, it only got hard while driving in traffic
The i20 just gets stuck
Every fng garage stated the same it’s a defect that Hyundai has not been correcting cause they make money
This issue I noticed was faced in the international market as well

post the repair the clutch is not acting up but it does get hard in crawling traffic.
My folks and me have decided we should look at the option of selling the car, while it seems hard to let go of it i am more inclined to moving to automatic the growing traffic doesn’t allow manuals to be fun for me anymore especially after these clutch issues

also with them saying it just lasts 6 months seems a bit less cause mine acts up exactly after a year
There was one issue on the Verna I noticed that when you leave the clutch you hear a khat noise from the clutch pack only when the engine was on
My Verna was a 2011 model
I20 is a 2016
The i20 has the same noise
Never noticed it on a city or ciaz

Last edited:

Top Bottom