Hyundai Elite i20 Review & Pictures: Fashionably Elite

Re: Hyundai Elite i20: Review | Test Drive | Pictures

Good - That the gave a decent Armrest finally
- that they gave rear AC vents.

Bad- Ugly rear look( i see one daily)
Glove box is two times smaller now.
Reverse light at bottom level means most cars close to you wont know/or have hint your trying to reverse[frustration]

Thanks for the review, and as usual it covered every minute detail.

I saw the one on weekend in Red colour and it was looking absolutely stunning. It looks far more premium than its major compititors (Swift, Punto Evo & Polo). Good to see that the fluidic design has been toned down to a matured level, as too much of fluidic design is not to the taste of many buyers.
The interiors looks premium but i didn't like the simple HU for ICE. The sound quality looks good but the HU is not upmarket. They should have provided a touch screen HU with navigation and this could have been a segment first as Tata Bolt will be launched a little later this year.

Don't know what was the strategy to remove DRL which created lot of buzz on i20.

Removal of side airbags & rear disk breaks will not hamper sales as it is with hatchback market standards, but then Elite i20 looses this USP that it had with i20.

But I am very surprised that these cost cuttings (DRL, airbags, disk breaks) did not reflect in pricing. Prices should have been lower than i20 or at max equal to it. There is no change in the engine or entire power train either.

Also, good to see that they have improved streering feedback but way to go for Hyundai in the handling department. But then, this is all for the enthusists like TAI'gers and the others will be attaracted by looks and attension to detail, and without doubt this is a hit car!

Between, can somebody post the pictures of tail lamp LEDs in action, during night?

Last edited:

Brilliant review with great pictures. Rated the thread a well deserving 5 stars[clap]. Silver looks fabulous for me.
Automatic headlamps and wipers, But why on earth did they have to step down from 6 airbags to 2 airbags and miss the useful features like DTE and average fuel consumption [frustration].

Had looked at this car in detail when I went to buy my grand I10. The front looks simple and clean. The fluidic design had been reduced a bit. Interiors have become more premium. Those rear lights are not LEDs contrary to what people say. I loved the dials and the MID. That black pillar should have been glossy rather than matte. Rear reminds me of the Alfa Romeo.

Also I didn't understand as to why the white strip is provided on the headlight. I've observed this on themes Santa Fe. It could have been used as a DRL. No rear disc brakes are surprising as no other car had this feature in this segment.

As usual a brilliant and detailed review done by TAI. Hope to see more upcoming reviews.

Thread Starter #35

350Z

Core Team

Hyundai is making new records with Elite i20. It has now received more than 79,200 customer enquiries and 15,300+ bookings within 20 days.

Here's a statement from press release:
On the Elite i20 sales, Mr. Rakesh Srivastava, Sr. VP, Sales & Marketing- HMIL expressed, “We are overwhelmed by the customers strong appreciation and acceptance of the new Elite i20 making it a huge success. This is Hyundai’s fifth sequential successful product launch highlighting the customer confidence in the Hyundai’s aspirational brand value and products. The demand of Elite i20 has doubled and we are working towards increasing its production to reduce the waiting period for faster deliveries so as to delight the customers.”

Mr Srivastava, also added, “In the challenging times, where price is a key decider, the overwhelming response of Elite i20 showcases there are discerning buyers who are not willing to compromise and seek segment defining products with high aspirational brand values and class-leading features. The Elite i20 has seen heightened response all over the country with diesel bookings of 52% of the total bookings which are as per expectations. Elite i20 received 15,300 bookings and generated 79,200 enquiries within 20 days of the launch. As a commitment to the Indian market, Hyundai has launched the Elite i20 within 5 months of the successful launch of Xcent, improving the domestic volumes and increasing market share. Earlier, Hyundai Grand also received strong customer and media response making it the Indian Car of the Year in the year 2014. Elite i20 promises to be a strong performer and trendsetter exceeding customer expectations.”
Drive Safe,
350Z

and mind you, we hardly see any print advertisemnts of elite i20 as Hyundai is focussing more on xcent to counter Tata zest;s agressive print and media campaign.

A good product sells irrespective of advertisemnts.

Hyundai is making new records with Elite i20. It has now received more than 79,200 customer enquiries and 15,300+ bookings within 20 days.
15k + bookings in under 20 days is mind blowing. i20 has created a premium brand among Indians and it has been proved again.

^^ Yes. For me, there is no competition for premium hatch i20.
Take polo, I personally like to drive Polo, but sitting in rear is a big no-no. And the gizmos & features offering for that price is something to think about.

OTOH, i20 looks premium, feels premium but lacks the enthusiast punch, which most of the user's don't need IMO.

Great review, Thanks.

It is sad to see the Japanese and Korean auto majors are playing with us/Indians successfully. Getting 15000+ booking within 20 days of launch having the costliest premium hatchback with essencial safety features missing, comparatively low power and average ride and handling, just by perfecting cosmetics and electronics [frustration].

What an irony !! They removed the important and essencial features and succeed like never before.

Cars having 6airbags, disc brakes, ABS, EBD, ESC, much more power and most importantly, superior ride and handling with much cheaper price tag are struggling. [confused]

India is surely the toughest and unpredictable car market.

Last edited:

Great review, Thanks.

It is sad to see the Japanese and Korean auto majors are playing with us/Indians successfully. Getting 15000+ booking within 20 days of launch having the costliest premium hatchback with essencial safety features missing, comparatively low power and average ride and handling, just by perfecting cosmetics and electronics [frustration].

Hatchbacks having 6airbags, disc brakes, ABS, EBD, ESC, much more power and most importantly, superior ride and handling with much cheaper price tag are struggling. [confused]

India is surely the toughest and unpredictable car market.
Exactly, they are removing the safety features without reducing the prices. Just to give it a premium tag. Hyundai is going the Honda way.

Thread Starter #41

350Z

Core Team

Exactly, they are removing the safety features without reducing the prices. Just to give it a premium tag. Hyundai is going the Honda way.
Hyundai has actually discontinued the variant (Asta O) altogether which offered six airbags, sunroof etc. The variants upto Asta (which are still on sale) always offered only two airbags. However, diesel versions from Sportz onward also used to have rear disc brakes which is now the major exclusion. I'm sharing the brochure of i-Gen i20 for quick reference.

Between, can somebody post the pictures of tail lamp LEDs in action, during night?
We already have an Elite i20 owner on board. He has posted some awesome pictures: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...s-nissan-micra-vs-tata-bolt-2.html#post404104

Drive Safe,
350Z

Attachments

Thread Starter #42

350Z

Core Team

Hyundai has released the complete specifications of European Elite i20. Following are the same:

Exteriors:

• Overall length: 4035 mm

• Overall width: 1734 mm

• Overall height: 1474 mm

• Wheelbase: 2570 mm

• Front overhang: 815 mm

• Rear overhang: 650 mm

• Front track: 1,520 mm

• Rear track: 1,519 mm

Interiors:

• Overall interior length: 1815 mm

• Overall interior width: 1436 mm

• Overall interior height: 1242 mm

• Head room 1038 mm (F) | 978 mm (R)

• Leg room 1098 mm (F) | 794 mm (R)

• Shoulder room 1365 mm (F) | 1350 mm (R)

• Hip room 1301 mm (F) | 1252 mm (R)
Luggage:

• Floor length: 722 mm

• Width: 1050 mm

• Height: 582 mm

• Upper length: 400 mm

• Tailgate aperture width: 1027 mm

• Tailgate aperture length: 688 mm

• Tailgate opening above ground: 739 mm
Petrol Models

Petrol.png

Petrol Specs.png

Diesel Models

Diesel.png

Diesel Specs.png

Transmission

Gear.png

Steering

Steering.png

Capacities

Capacities.png

Drive Safe,
350Z

really sad that they omitted these from the Indian version while euro version gets these.

Dynamic Headlamps with LED
Designed and developed in Europe, the New Generation i20 has a sleek and eye-catching appearance. This latest interpretation of Hyundai’s “Fluidic Sculpture 2.0” design philosophy is enhanced by stylish bi-function headlamps with LED daytime running lights.
front.png

High tech rear lighting with LED
The new rear combination lamps provide a distinct high tech character to the car. With the LED lights providing maximum brightness and enhanced safety.
back.png

Sunroof
ROOF.png

source http://www.hyundai.com/eu/en/UpcomingVehicle/i20/index.html

Being a current igen i20 owner i can see improvements & some downfalls also,had been to the showroom .

Good- Higher ground clearance
Higher rear seating position
Rear door storage space
Arm rest & storage
Rear Ac vents from xcent
Single lens for high low beam,as current igen has pathetic high beam
Alloys seem to be an improvement
Class leading boot space.
Steering feels chunky to hold

Bad(in my opinion)-
Rear looks(only the red car looked nice)
Single reverse lamp too low to notice
Tiny glove box over the previous
Rear brakes are drum,but may reduce service cost
Ac vents seem hard to adjust

Top Bottom