Hurricane 'Sandy' in USA

Thread Starter #1
Hey Singh890 heard that US is about to face one of the biggest hurricane,which occurs once in 100 years.
Hope you are safe there.

Can you shed more info on this?

Re: Hurricane in USA?

First of all thanks for your concern buddy and really appreciate that. But I am safe and not in Hurricane zone as I am in the mid-north part of the country. Though I just came from East Coast a month back as I was working in North Carolina which is in East Coast.

So this Hurricane is named as Sandy and has been declared as a category 1 hurricane on the severity level which is the highest and NOAA hurricane research division on Sunday has already predicted the destruction potential of this hurricane as 5.8 on a scale of 0-6. This is a massive superstorm and according to the forecasters it’s probably the largest to hit the United States.

They're talking about 11 foot wall of water coming into New York and New Jersey since they are low line areas, Damage and death could be the result. It will be threating almost 50 million people in East Coast. And it would impact (landfall) the East Coast on Monday around 8 pm somewher around Atlantic City (Maryland).

There are 9 nuclear plants as well in this region which are being thoroughly inspected by the government agencies and according to them they are well protected and ready for the Storm.
And this hurricane is so big that it will be affecting almost 18 states of the country. And those states are:
Washington DC: The capital area’s Transit System will shut down rail system for the first time since 2003Virginia
New Jersey
New York
Vermont
North Carolina
Connecticut
Delaware
Kentucky
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Tennessee
Vermont
West Virginia

read more here: A state-by-state look at the East Coast superstorm - Yahoo! News

Actually when I was reading news yesterday about the Hurricane, first person to struck my mind was you Singh. It is good to hear from you that you are safe. But yes evacuation have taken place and they are taking necessary measures.

Actually when I was reading news yesterday about the Hurricane, first person to struck my mind was you Singh. It is good to hear from you that you are safe. But yes evacuation have taken place and they are taking necessary measures.
Thanks for your concern buddy.

Yes they have evacuated millions of people but there were few stupid people who refused to evacuate and few people jumped the fences put by the police and were surfing. DUMB people. [frustration] Feel bad for the national guard and people working for emergency services when they have to go and rescue these very people who refused to evacuate. (if required).

Now QUICK UPDATE on the Storm:

Superstorm Sandy surged inland late Monday, hitting the New Jersey shore and New York Harbor with incredible force, killing at least eight people, plunging almost 5 million others into darkness and crippling transportation with historic flooding across a huge swath of the East Coast.

The mammoth storm began breaking up as it hit the New Jersey shore Monday evening with maximum sustained winds of 90mph(144 km/hr)[cry], later dropping to 75 mph, but Sandy continued to punch a destructive path across 11 states and the District of Columbia even after having been downgraded from hurricane status.

Attaching few pics of the storm and the flooding caused by the same.
Water entering the Ground Zero(WTC) construction site.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

In West Virginia the Storm has mixed with another snow storm and the result was this
10.jpg

These were the dumb people who went surfing. STUPID [frustration]
11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

making wall from the beach sand
16.jpg

Oh mann. These is hell lot of destruction. Those cars have literally sunk into water. These remind me of Mumbai floods in July 2005. [cry]

Hurricane Sandy. Yes that it is. One of my friends on a ship out there told me. The hurricane is following there ship's course. ANd there 350m long ship is rolling and pitching. I thought its just there ship. But the posts of Singh say its much more than that. Has done a considerable damage.

Last edited by a moderator:

take care friends, but at the outset the response and preparation to survive through mother nature's fury seems very good, What are your views Singh890 ?

Inspite of the elections next week, both sides have left aside the campaign and concentrating on the storm situation rather - which is healthy politics in my view.

i wish we learn from this. Usually in case of such disasters we are very good in helping the neighbourhood out (am sure the mumbaikars would agree to that in context of july 2005) , but unfortunately our govt preparedness asks for a lot more to do. Not intending to start a bashing discussion, but living with the hope that we learn from such events.

When it comes to betterment of the nation, the political class is able to leave aside all differences - lets take a cue from here!

Oh mann. These is hell lot of destruction. Those cars have literally sunk into water. These remind me of Mumbai floods in July 2005. [cry]
Yes and the Storm is getting worse so that means more water. Wonder what will happen by morning.

Hurricane Sandy. Yes that it is. One of my friends on a ship out there told me. The hurricane is following there ship's course. ANd there 350m long ship is rolling and pitching. I thought its just there ship. But the posts of Singh say its much more than that. Has done a considerable damage.
Yes it has already done so much damage and this will continue until morning after which the storm will get weak but it will be there.

And i hope your friend is safe. As it's not a good time to be on a ship.

Here's live coverage on Sandy
Yes this is the live streaming and you can get the latest updates here.

Attaching a pic for people who are not familiar with the location.

Anything in RED are the areas which are badly impacted by the strom.

And BLUE shows areas where they snow as well.

Attachments

take care friends, but at the outset the response and preparation to survive through mother nature's fury seems very good, What are your views Singh890 ?

Inspite of the elections next week, both sides have left aside the campaign and concentrating on the storm situation rather - which is healthy politics in my view.

i wish we learn from this. Usually in case of such disasters we are very good in helping the neighbourhood out (am sure the mumbaikars would agree to that in context of july 2005) , but unfortunately our govt preparedness asks for a lot more to do. Not intending to start a bashing discussion, but living with the hope that we learn from such events.

When it comes to betterment of the nation, the political class is able to leave aside all differences - lets take a cue from here!
Very well said buddy and YES in United States they take each and every precaution to minimize the casualties. This Storm is like one in the generation. And so far there are only 8 deaths (RIP to all those). The death rate would have gone really high if all the precautions were not taken. Millions of people have been evacuated from the low line areas.

Major transportation systems are closed including bus and train services. Govt has ordered the Taxi union/department to charge a fixed tariff as low as $15 while the public transport system will be closed. Nearly 10,000 flights grounded.

If we get such kind of Storm in our country (Hopefully we never get one) there will be so much casualties that one can't even imagine. winds coming in at 140-150 km/hr and rain and obviously it's damm cold. In our country people help each other and our govt. come for help when the damage is done. Not saying this because i am in US coz "Dil hai Hindustani" but that's the truth.

(No offense to anyone)

@Singh

I am happy that you are in a safe place. I pray God to save those affected people from such huge Storm. In pics it really looks like a devastating one.

I have my relatives in NY,Boston,NC,Dallas,Houstan,Sanjose,CA.

Singh, if you can, please update this thread till it gets normal, we would like to see the safety of our Indians living there and fellow Americans too !! As Indians we pray for everybody's safety !!

@Nozzle, how do ships manage if they are trapped in such storms please post that on your dedicated thread.

The surface area of this Storm is 2000 miles (3200 kms) and also it has been predicted that this storm will leave behind 16 million people without power.

Also the storm surge might reach to 20-25 foot. As of right now winds are blowing at 90 miles and might get even faster.

And in total more than 60 million people are impacted by this Storm.

Wall Street was closed today and will be closed tomorrow as well..

@Singh

I am happy that you are in a safe place. I pray God to save those affected people from such huge Storm. In pics it really looks like a devastating one.

I have my relatives in NY,Boston,NC,Dallas,Houstan,Sanjose,CA.

Singh, if you can, please update this thread till it gets normal, we would like to see the safety of our Indians living there and fellow Americans too !! As Indians we pray for everybody's safety !!
Sure i will definitely update this thread once i wake up as it is 2:00 AM right now.

Also you can follow this link for latest updates.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/superstorm...s-power-brings/story?id=17594562#.UI93zcXA9i8

Last edited:

Hi Chennai TAIans,Even as the US is reeling under the impact of Hurricane Sandy, back home a possible cyclone is in the making in the Bay of Bengal- 500 km off south-east of Chennai.Heard already Chennai is witnessing rains and the MET department has forecast heavy rain in the region and possible cyclone alert in Tamil Nadu. please check the below link.
Cyclone alert issued in Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh: Heavy rains in Chennai | NDTV.com

Top Bottom