Hunt For a New Ride

Thread Starter #1
Background - We owned the 2014 Mahindra XUV500 W6 model.It was an eventful journey with the beast. And now that we have sold it we are looking for a new ride.

Requirements :
1.Strictly SUV
2.Fuel - Diesel
3.Budget range - 20 to 25 lakhs.
With the basics out of the way, my dad likes cars with high stance, Hence hatchbacks and sedans are out of equation :).
Although Tata Nexon fits the bill in every way (we are a family of 4),it does not fit the above criteria.

Also Should we be looking at preowned vehicles?

Hence let the suggestions pour in :)

You are in a different league, as already you had a XUV500, so Nexon would feel like a downgrade. If looking into preowned, you can look into German entry level SUV's (GLA,Q3,X1).
If you want extra row like what you had in XUV, check Fortuner (If you are ready to compromise on goodies).

Thread Starter #3
Thanks Vishnu,
But Fortuner is out of budget and the German cars.
Second hand German cars may be maintainance heavy.So a bit skeptic.
However ,Going for the seconds car market for a checkout.Will update the details here

I would say if you get a 2016-2018 model, the price you save will go for maintenance, that's it. It is worth for that. I won't say maintenance friendly, but it is better to go for used luxury germans than buying first hand.
And all these are global products, you won't feel shortage of spares, even if brand exits (Eg-All ford models here were commisioned for India, except Ecosport, but that also is not selling huge numbers globally)

Thread Starter #6
XUV700 is the best upgrade!
Yes Sir,
But we will have to wait till April for the delivery.And there is the issue of first batch of vehicles being treated like the experimental batch.

I would say if you get a 2016-2018 model, the price you save will go for maintenance, that's it. It is worth for that. I won't say maintenance friendly, but it is better to go for used luxury germans than buying first hand.
And all these are global products, you won't feel shortage of spares, even if brand exits (Eg-All ford models here were commisioned for India, except Ecosport, but that also is not selling huge numbers globally)
Thanks Sirji for the insight.
Will have a lookout for used cars.Will be visiting Cars24 today for a used car evaluation.

Thread Starter #7
Just visited the Cars24 outlet nearest to my location.
The Sales Rep was not interested in a sale. He just said you have to check for the cars online and then book a test drive. Nothing to do here. He was least interested in a sale.

Coming up with an analysis of the vehicles shortlisted.

SORRY TRIED IT MANY TIMES AND FINALLY A CHANCE TO UPLOAD THE PICS

View attachment 290311

View attachment 290312

View attachment 290313

Final day pic

View attachment 290314

Sir, next car ke in liye options ??
Thanks Bharath sir. What is the segment and budget for your car, you are looking for?

XUV 700 has excellent engine options. I feel your running is not too high for a diesel, and hence you can also opt for a 2000 cc Turbo Petrol which has high power and torque numbers on papers, which would be a breeze to drive. In case you want to stay back with Diesel, you have the tried and tested 2.2L engine already.

Is there any chance you want to move on to the next segment, then look at Fortuner (T reliability); Innova Crysta, if you are interested in MUV, etc. Anyways you no more have the Ford's Endy in India and hence that option is dropped.

If you want a rugged multi utility vehicle, you can move towards D MAX / V Max from Isuzu or That from Mahindra. ISUZU also offers another long SUV, not sure of the name though.

If you are interested in any other segment below XUV 500, in case you prefer to, please let me know, I can collect your preferences, usage, budget and expectation list and can recommend you the best suitable car for your usage with the apt automatic transmission technology (TC AT / DCT / iMT / CVT / AMT ) in case you prefer an auto transmission vehicle.

Please let me know about your requirements and expectation, and I shall guide you with the best of my knowledge in automotive acquired all these years.

Thanks and Regards
Kumar S

Yes Sir,
But we will have to wait till April for the delivery .And there is the issue of first batch of vehicles being treated like the experimental batch.

You are right in saying that here, that too especially with Mahindra vehicles, where picking one from the initial batches of production is a gamble and risky affair.

I would also like to know if there was a specific reason why you decided to let go your loyal XUV500, when you don't seem to have decided on your next ride? Sorry if I am too personal in asking this, I just wanted to know out of curiosity and to understand your requriement.

Thread Starter #9
Hi,
So I have come up with an analysis on the shortlisted cars. I may be completely wrong in my analysis. Hope this helps somebody.
When looking for the replacement for XUV500 the primary check is on the segment. Since we are accustomed to a high stance and rugged drivability of an SUV the choice narrows down to SUV's in the market.

In my opinion the usage of third row in 7 seaters is minimal. As the seats are too crampy for adults and without the seats folded the boot space drastically reduces.
The third row can be used for short rides for adults and can accommodate kids during long drives. This makes it equivalent to a 5 seater SUV in my opinion.

Now coming to the point of the Hunt :) My thoughts and I am no expert.

The vehicles listed below are in the budget range of 16 to 25 lakhs. Most suitable replacement for the XUV500.Please feel free to point out any errors or wrong doings in my anlysis. I am only pointing out the pros and cons in my opinion and leaving out the obvious points which are done in detailed reviews.

XUV 700 - 2.2 L mHawk engine.

The most eligible and best replacement for the XUV500 as Mayank Sir pointed out.

Pros
1.Fresh design
2.ADAS,features,comfort
3.Rugged look and Road presence
4.Service - Never faced any problems for the XUV500.Hope it remains same.

Cons
1.Waiting period - If booked now have to wait till March ,April.
2.1st batch of vehicles comes with its own niggles and minor issues.
3.The SA said no discounts will be offered & prices might increase.
4.Servicing costs and mileage ? [drive]

Hyundai Creta, Alcazar -1.5L CRDi engine

Pros
1.Trustworthy brand
2.Servcing
3.Fresh look of the Alcazar

Cons
1.The engine would be a downgrade compared to XUV500
2.Extra premium for the 3rd row in Alcazar
3.Waiting time will be known on booking the vehicle due to chip shortage
4.Too many CRETAs out there [:)]

Kia Seltos - 1.5L engine

Pros
1.Value for money
2.Features
3.Fresh design

Cons
1.Many SELTOS out there
2.Service centres- I am not sure of this point

Jeep Compass 1.4L engine

Pros
1.Road presence, design

Cons
1.Servicing Cost
2.Will it follow the Ford way?
3.Budget constraint for Top end model
4.Mileage

Tata Harrier, Safari - 2L Engine

Pros
1.Fresh design
2.Tested engine after 2 years of launch
3.No budget constraint [clap]

Cons
1.Premium on Safari for extra 6cms in length.
2.Servicing -Is it still a concern?

Final thoughts

So ,In my opinion Safari or Harrier mostly suit our requirements. But as Vishnu pointed out, I shall lookout for preowned German cars as well.

Please feel free to correct my opinion :) Kudos to the team again.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
You are right in saying that here, that too especially with Mahindra vehicles, where picking one from the initial batches of production is a gamble and risky affair.

I would also like to know if there was a specific reason why you decided to let go your loyal XUV500, when you don't seem to have decided on your next ride? Sorry if I am too personal in asking this, I just wanted to know out of curiosity and to understand your requriement.
Hi
On selling the XUV500
We were not even thinking about selling the vehicle. But out of blue a friend was in need of a second hand vehicle similar to XUV and we asked him to check our vehicle. He said Yes and in a moment the deal was closed.

The thought process was -

The ODO was nearing 70,000 kms.In the next two years the total cost of ownership would come around Rs.50,000 including service & insurance. Add to it the running cost.

And after two years we would loose around 2 to 3 lakhs in resale value.
Hence a decision was made to sell the vehicle.

Due to Work From Home we are not in urgent requirement of a vehicle.

Nothing is needed to sort anything in this list, all have their own merits and very small limits by pricing and list of gizmos.
My choice for the new fresh car would be : If proper SUV - go for XUV700 it's worth the price.
If you can be happy with a compact SUV, then Hyundai Creta (Better network, better gearbox). When compared to DCT issues with Seltos.
From my knowledge, Seltos doesn't have Paddles.
Creta has paddles and also Ventilated seats, but don't know whether a full option automatic is there for Hyundai Creta, as Hyundais usually neglect that citing pricing.
The jeep is overpriced.
Harrier/Safari has niggles and poor service experience in most centres(Wait for minimum 2 years for their ASS to get strengthened)

Nothing is needed to sort anything in this list, all have their own merits and very small limits by pricing and list of gizmos.
My choice for the new fresh car would be : If proper SUV - go for XUV700 it's worth the price.
If you can be happy with a compact SUV, then Hyundai Creta (Better network, better gearbox). When compared to DCT issues with Seltos.
From my knowledge, Seltos doesn't have Paddles.
Creta has paddles and also Ventilated seats, but don't know whether a full option automatic is there for Hyundai Creta, as Hyundais usually neglect that citing pricing.
The jeep is overpriced.
Harrier/Safari has niggles and poor service experience in most centres(Wait for minimum 2 years for their ASS to get strengthened)

I totally agree with VishnuCrazy when he says Harrier and Safari have their own set of initial jiggles and teething issues, so I would anytime stay away from Tata, even though Safari is a totally safe vehicle. A recent accident where a Safari rear ended a Polo last week near Ajmer is an evidence for my statement. But running behind the service station advisors for minor and major niggles once or twice a month with Tata cars wouldn't be an appreciable ownership.

Alcazar - Alcazar in Diesel is nothing more than an extended Creta, with a 3rd row. Puny 1.5L from that Creta, wouldn't make Alcazar an involving driver's vehicle. But if you need a car to take you and your family from point A to point B, with no much drive expectation, you can go ahead and buy Alcazar Diesel.

Note : Alcazar petrol with that 2.0:L petrol engine might be better to drive due to its bigger engine, especially with manual.
Also note: Alcazar wouldn't be safer than 3 safety stars, in my prediction. No much chances of Alcazar scoring 4 stars in safety aspect.

Jeep Compass - An exciting, within budget vehicle, but heavy and pocket-drilling maintenance cost is something you wouldn't be happy with, since I noted your dissatisfaction on the high maintenance cost of your erstwhile XUV 500 from your post.

KIA SELTOS - I wouldn't recommend, my friend, after being shocked and shivered with the recent topple accident of a Seltos that split into two, killing all three rear seated ladies on the spot. Little more than 2 safety stars in Seltos is not something we can rely on (Seltos on papers is 3 star safe, however the said 3 stars were scored only due to the additional very few points over 2 star threshold, and hence I wouldn't call Seltos a perfect 3 star car either. Sorry for my strong comment, as I am more concerned on the safety of your families' rear seaters.

HYUNDAI CRETA - Paying around 20L for the top variant for a car that shares the same platform of Seltos (3 star) and apparently Creta wouldn't score anything more than what Seltos did, in GNCAP or ASIAN NCAP or anyone for that matter.

XUV 700 - uncertain delivery date added to the foreseen niggles and issues in the experimental batch, and hence can't be a smart choice.

Now, if you have good sources of Moola, then I would second Vishnu Crazy in recommending you buy a decently used and maintained German, however, you need to accommodate stuffed moolah for its maintenance, as the per the foreseen and expected servicing cost, parts replacement, etc.

Fortuner - seems a good upgrade (whether new if Vitamin M permits; or preowned). Good T badge reliability, good servicing, good road presence, high stance as you and your family expect and are used to, and a full size butch SUV.

If I were you, with good source of Vitamin M, I would prefer Fortuner for peace of mind & reliable ownership, with affordable service and maintenance part.

If you want to save around a million or more, Toyota Innova Crysta would be another option, not sure if you would prefer an MPV or an SUV that you all prefer.

Run around these options, since there's no point in waiting for XUV700 till April, and you aren't sure if you would be delivered on April with certainty.

Thread Starter #13
I totally agree with VishnuCrazy when he says Harrier and Safari have their own set of initial jiggles and teething issues, so I would anytime stay away from Tata, even though Safari is a totally safe vehicle. A recent accident where a Safari rear ended a Polo last week near Ajmer is an evidence for my statement. But running behind the service station advisors for minor and major niggles once or twice a month with Tata cars wouldn't be an appreciable ownership.

Alcazar - Alcazar in Diesel is nothing more than an extended Creta, with a 3rd row. Puny 1.5L from that Creta, wouldn't make Alcazar an involving driver's vehicle. But if you need a car to take you and your family from point A to point B, with no much drive expectation, you can go ahead and buy Alcazar Diesel.

Note : Alcazar petrol with that 2.0:L petrol engine might be better to drive due to its bigger engine, especially with manual.
Also note: Alcazar wouldn't be safer than 3 safety stars, in my prediction. No much chances of Alcazar scoring 4 stars in safety aspect.

Jeep Compass - An exciting, within budget vehicle, but heavy and pocket-drilling maintenance cost is something you wouldn't be happy with, since I noted your dissatisfaction on the high maintenance cost of your erstwhile XUV 500 from your post.

KIA SELTOS - I wouldn't recommend, my friend, after being shocked and shivered with the recent topple accident of a Seltos that split into two, killing all three rear seated ladies on the spot. Little more than 2 safety stars in Seltos is not something we can rely on (Seltos on papers is 3 star safe, however the said 3 stars were scored only due to the additional very few points over 2 star threshold, and hence I wouldn't call Seltos a perfect 3 star car either. Sorry for my strong comment, as I am more concerned on the safety of your families' rear seaters.

HYUNDAI CRETA - Paying around 20L for the top variant for a car that shares the same platform of Seltos (3 star) and apparently Creta wouldn't score anything more than what Seltos did, in GNCAP or ASIAN NCAP or anyone for that matter.

XUV 700 - uncertain delivery date added to the foreseen niggles and issues in the experimental batch, and hence can't be a smart choice.

Now, if you have good sources of Moola, then I would second Vishnu Crazy in recommending you buy a decently used and maintained German, however, you need to accommodate stuffed moolah for its maintenance, as the per the foreseen and expected servicing cost, parts replacement, etc.

Fortuner - seems a good upgrade (whether new if Vitamin M permits; or preowned). Good T badge reliability, good servicing, good road presence, high stance as you and your family expect and are used to, and a full size butch SUV.

If I were you, with good source of Vitamin M, I would prefer Fortuner for peace of mind & reliable ownership, with affordable service and maintenance part.

If you want to save around a million or more, Toyota Innova Crysta would be another option, not sure if you would prefer an MPV or an SUV that you all prefer.

Run around these options, since there's no point in waiting for XUV700 till April, and you aren't sure if you would be delivered on April with certainty.
Thanks for the round up.
Yes - There are a number of choices in the Indian Car market but most of them fall short in some or the other way.
Looking over we feel we have numerous options in the SUV and Crossover segment. But most of them fall short either in power delivery or Value for money.
At the end ,It all depends on our requirement.
I believe going for preowned German cars that too in Bangalore is tricky. One the preowned market is still somewhat costly and maintenance costs of German cars does not make it worth it.
So, I am keeping an eye out in the seconds market for a good deal.
Preowned Fortuner is also a worthy upgrade ,but driving it in Bangalore is very cumbersome and the car would run 8k to 10k KMS in a year.Keeping this in mind we dropped the fortuner.
Innova -Although a perfect MUV is not a fun to drive Vehicle and the new Crystal is a bit overpriced in my opinion.

Thread Starter #14
Is the experience with Tata so bad. I believe they are improving their service offerings.
The Harrier looks fresh and has good road presence. Compared to the Safari the Harrier is VFM for me. Please share your thoughts.
I am even looking at pre owned Harriers [drive].

Top Bottom