How Would You React To See Your Car Model As Taxi in Market?

Your Car Model As Taxi. Wot?

• Total voters
This might come as a shocker to some Ford EcoSport owners.

View attachment 142686

Drive Safe,
350Z
I used a Audi & Jaguar cars as a Cab in UK for travel purposes. Which is not a case at all India?

And the same way, I saw lot of Santro taxi's in Mumbai, but not in Chennai, Banglaore, Hyderabad and some of the other places?

Just see and go ahead. (But internaly, you will not feel good).[angry]

Until the time comes when I purchase a Ferrari or a Bugatti or a Lamborghini and they are in turn, converted to a street taxi by cab companies, I wont worry too much.
All this Indian business of attaching snob value to any other car is just immature and ridiculous.
Especially in today's world. The moment you alight out of a Mercedes C-Class at a Hotel or an office, an S-Class or 7 series glides by . We are way too influenced by the "bhala uski sari mere sari se safed kaisi" syndrome- the popular Nirma washing powder advt .

So a Honda City carries more snob value than a Fiat Linea, a Dzire (no matter how ugly it looks) carries more snob than a much smarter Tata Zest. A Tata Manza, which for all intents and purposes, should be really clubbed into the C2 category of sedans, is unfairly compared with the likes of Etios and other such cars.

I have seen some Ertigas with yellow board.
Most of them were from Kerala and 1 or 2 from KA.
Glad that they have made a good, flexible choice.
But the thing that worries me is the manner in which they drive the LUVs, taking full advantage of the monocoque chassis and turbo![frustration]

Become happy because your car model is now popular.
Become happy because spare parts won’t be an issue in future.

I purchased Innova in 2005 (year of introduction), just because Tavera (next car in choice queue) was immensely used as taxi like Qualis. But as time gone by, Innova was more common as taxi, rather luxury / premium taxi, as compared to Qualis / Tavera. On one side I didn't like it as my car was not unique or hand changer now, but on other side, Innova ASS came to my town as sales increased, & so service & original spares were easily available. I was happy the decision I took mainly on external appearance was deeply right. So ultimately in end, I was happy.

But when I did fresh purchase of car, one thing was clear, model on verge of getting extinct & taxi models were not even checked or thought. MY choice now has no chance to become taxi model or common car on road, as it hardly sales > 150 units per month in India [:)] & this carries a lot of risk factor everybody know [;)]

Last edited:
If TM sells Indicas & Indigos at very competitive prices (as it has been doing most if its products) & with all the good stuff like luxury & top end features? Should one still not buy it for private use just because its more in hire & taxi purposes? C'mon obviously something VFM will be selling like hot cakes in the for hire business!

The one easy solution like you mentioned in your post maybe to buy a totally premium colour!

It would just not make sense to deprive ourselves of good VFM options just due to image issues! It sort of works against innovation & common business sense if we did that! right?
I don't know how but I totally missed your post.
In reply I would say if such a VFM as well as an excellent car exist I will definitely buy one in red[evil] ( the polo one -my favorite sporty colour ).
But sadly the taxis ( especially tatas )in the market may be VFM but are far from excellent.
As for indicas and indigos tata will have to do a lot ( and price it substantially lower than competetion ) to make me its customer.

I myself never mind of purchasing a car which is taken by a whole taxi segment fellows. Points towards that:

1) If there are so many mass taxi fellas driving it, it surely is an indication that its driving dynamics and handling is good on highways.
2) Cheap to buy and maintain.
3) Easily accessible service stations are omnipresent.
4) Spares are never a problem as they are mass produced and plentily available.

BTW, I have my own points to test drive and choose a car. If I like it personally, even if its a taxi branded car its very much fine with me. As I have been for years in Germany, and seen 100% of taxis there are Mercs and VWs!!!

If the car doesnot drive good, then no point taking it even if its a super luxury brand like....[;)]
Hey, its upto you guys to decide which brand is that.

I myself never mind of purchasing a car which is taken by a whole taxi segment fellows. Points towards that:

1) If there are so many mass taxi fellas driving it, it surely is an indication that its driving dynamics and handling is good on highways.
I never knew that taxi rivers or taxi owners also give a look at the dynamics and handling of the car. BTW, that way Punto and Polo must have been on the top of the list.

Now-a-days, since many manufacturers have emerged in India, most of the major brands have a taxi targeted car, to name a few, Tata with Indica and Sumo ; MS with Desire, Ertiga too! and slowly seeing Ritz now-a-days, Toyota with majorly Innova and both Etios siblings, Mahindra with Verito and premium brands mostly mercedes, beemers and audis Chevy with Tavera and Enjoy.

With the above point i wish to say that gone are the days of seeing a particular car as a taxi tag associated with it. because of the emerging business and growth in transport industry, it's quite common for people to buy cars because they are made affordable for a common man, also the major chunk of IT sector needs all kinds of cars to cater for it's employees.

Since i have bought enjoy which is majorly portrayed as a taxi, i do feel sometimes as a cab, but to make a difference, I'm making it look like a well maintained personal car in the way of making subtle mods. By doing this, i can be seen as a own car user, need not worry about the spares and expenses.

Except the first point all are perfect. If they cared about the handling and dynamics they wouldn't have gone to Indicas and Sumos.

Also would like to add they prefer vehicles which can be serviced in any garages and fuel efficient.

I voted for other, i.e., neutral. I would select something to satisfy MY needs. So why would this taxi business upset me?

Fact is, after I bought Verna, it was selected as the Official Car for my Cos Directors. When the security guards see my car approaching, a hurried scenario is created and a few salutes are thrown at the car. The occupants end up laughing generally[lol]. Life is funny.

I never knew that taxi rivers or taxi owners also give a look at the dynamics and handling of the car. BTW, that way Punto and Polo must have been on the top of the list.
They definitely look for driving dynamics and handling at high speeds. I speak to many cabbies while in them, and keep on talking why you guys donot go for Hyundais. Many of them tell me that its driving is not good at high speeds!

Coming to your Punto and Polo point, Punto's and Polo's ASS is not that wide spread as Tatas and Marutis. And above all the cost of maintenance also is a strong point to pull them towards Tatas and Marutis.

BTW, with the newly launched Zest we need to see how Tata manages to clean up that Taxi image. Anyways, now Tata has made some good friends like Maruti, Toyota, Mahindra, Chevrolet and Ford for its Taxi image!!!

I think taxis are purchased by MIND, & personal vehicles by HEART. Though trends may appear similar, but aims are different.

In particular vehicle also, taxi owners go for lower variant (e.g. Innova G2/3) while personal buyers go for higher variant (e.g. Innova V or ZX)

There's a different take on this: These taxi drivers are over worked sometimes and may need to be relieved without affecting our travel schedule. Familiarity of a taxi's size, controls, handling and dynamics could help in these rare situations. I had done so on Indicas, Indigos, Bolero and Innova driving sedately but stressed nevertheless. I would in that case be VERY RELAXED to drive that taxi when needed.

So I change my vote. It is still "Other" but reason is in italics above.

Become happy because your car model is now popular.
Become happy because spare parts won’t be an issue in future.

I know there is a fleet of Nano taxi in Kerala, I don't have any problem with that. Zoom car has introduced Nano, Figo, Honda Amaze, XUV, Scorpio and even Mercedes in self drive rental cars. All these are great cars to drive. So what if its a taxi.

I have voted for other! Well here in bangalore I've seen more taxi ciazs than private ones. But I'm just happy that the car is becoming popular and convenient( convenient is what cabbies crave). And even if their trim level is same as mine, it doesn't bother me. A single yellow board camnot differentiate between the feelings of a cab owner and a pvt. Car owner!!

Top Bottom