How Was this Trend Started?

Thread Starter #1
Guys, there are some things in life we just do voluntarily. It is not written in any rule book nor are we abided to do it in any way but... we just do it.

for example - giving a tip. maybe to a waiter in a restaurant or to a bell boy in a hotel or to the valet parking guy. these guys do have their salaries but still we give them tip. why & how do you think was this concept started?

P.S. - Please note that I am not against giving tips! this is just a matter of discussion.

lets dicuss the various trends here & why we do it!

Waiters - I just pay for the waiters in restaurant provided a good service offered. If no good service, i will not pay a penny. There is a friend of mine who offers 10% of the bill amount (He exclaims that he was in that industry and knows the pain they have). I am pretty much not into it.

Valet parking - I never pay for valet parking guys. There is nothing special they do. Ours is just yet another car.

Railways attendant - I never pay them any tip. There are many instances where they demanded tip as a right. I refuse politely.

Pizza delivery - I pay them a minimum tip say Rs. 10 of they had to undergo harsh weather and deliver on time (Before 30 minutes) and provided the food is hot.

Air in petrol pump - Though we all know that air is free in every petrol pump (Nitrogen excempt), i pay a tip to the guy provided he is not a person filling the petrol (One can identify the difference).

Bartender - Yes, of course but a light tip coz he has to undergo all our frustration sometimes!!!

Parking security - Never.

This is what i can remember.

Waiters:My friends never allow me to pay them.In front of GF and her friends its a different story.(its she who says that "what my friends will think"?)

Valet parking:I do park myself most of the time and is happy to walk even 200-300 meters.If by mistake allow them to touch me car,then I pay them a tip only when I have a 10 rs note with me.

Railways attendant:Have not traveled by train even once in my life,so don't know.

Pizza delivery:Only once called up,the guy had his bike crashed,so stopped calling home,but go and eat it whenever I get the time.

Air in petrol pump:Its our right and I never pay for it.

Bartender:Never never never..they give you the same beer which you get outside at 4 times the price,then tip for what?

Parking security:I pay them tip when there is very hot or too cold.

My chauffeur:He gets paid when I travel with GF and ask him not to tell papa where we went and how we traveled in the car...:stupid:
I also pay him when we go for movies,shopping etc so that he can have something to eat or tea.Smoking is not allowed by me..so he too doesn't smokes.

Last edited:
Out of Obligation.

Sometime service they provide are more than what they need to do and if I feel obliged I definitely do reward .

I have paid to Telephone line man ,it was not bribe. he helped me sort out the cable and connection in more safer and convenient way.

In some good restaurants they rush not to keep us wait long and good service make me feel reward the guy.

In Tass the technician did some tweaking and fixing voluntarily, I rewarded him.

AC fixing guys fixed the AC in my home ,wipe clean the floor without a trace of dirt.i rewarded him.

I believe if we have the capacity to pay, this thing called TIP, an additional allowance is way to promote good deeds and better service.

Also I have been to worst restaurants with worst service where waiters ask for the TIP , I say "go and get it from your manager."

I do pay tip often to the waiters as we (as family) only goes out to eat along with shopping. However, there were incidents wherein I did not pay anything because of bad service / attitude of the waiter.

For Air at petrol pump, hmmm [thinking]. I always do that but 2 to 5 rupees max because I used to see my father doing it during my childhood outings with him. I never asked him the reason nor giving it a rethink even now (Just old habit).

Pizza delivery / railway attendant :- If I am in a good mood or the service is really quick only then.

Never never never..they give you the same beer which you get outside at 4 times the price,then tip for what?
Tip is for the hot starters that comes free and timely service during our worst and good times.

Also I have been to worst restaurants with worst service where waiters ask for the TIP , I say "go and get it from your manager."
I should try this once!!!

I pay only for getting better service next time [:)]
Spot on. Thats what myself/ most people pay for.

I also give tip if either or all below are met:

1) Service was good
2) The person did the best (or more) as demanded by his job
3) I have no change to give

This topic also reminds me of two incidents happened with me 1 1/2 years back when we had gone to Auli (Uttaranchal).

1) It was snow covered (~4 feet) and we had to walk back from Auli to our hotel in Joshimath (~24 KM) with two bags (10 days worth goods for 2 ppl). With lot of difficulty, we could get a porter to carry the luggage , he asked Rs 300/- which I felt was ok, considering the situation. We started @ 8 AM, found the journey more demanding than we thought and reached @ 6 PM.

When I offered Rs 500/- to him and was going inside hotel after thanking him, he called and gave me 200/- back saying "We agreed on 300/- which I found correct and am happy to have helped you reach your destination".

I insisted but he didn't accept!

2) Similar thing happened when we hired a car a day @ 1200 and I offered 100 more to the driver on return, he politely refused.

Perhaps sometimes it is best not to spoil such things and that they remain untouched - same applies to nature... [:)]

Hemant.

Whenever I'm in India I give taxi driver tips of 10Rs - 20Rs but once I gave a taxi driver 50Rs and he was just looking at me and I'm like you can have that.

Tip (gratuity) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sometimes if you don't TIP, the waiters spit into the food or do some worse things. I was told by someone that a bartender in the hotel he worked did something I can't mention here, to a Ministers drink.
I agree to your statement like this can happen but only possibility is that you are visiting the same place again and same waiter is there on duty or looking after your table. Because at the very first incident or visit. He would not afford to do it or unless he has a habit of doing something like it. In that case, whether you give tip or not, he would spit in your food.[cheers]

350Z

Core Team
Tipping is a custom of west which I think was started to reward the people who serve for us in a little way we can. I usually leave a tip depending upon the quality of service but sometimes not if the service charges are included. I read somewhere that in Japan tipping is not accepted. If you leave a tip in some restaurant, the waiter will run behind and tell that you have left some money mistakenly.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom