How to Shift Gears Accurately on a Car without Tachometer?

Using tachometer to decide when to shift gear

My swift is fitted with tachometer, however manual says nothing about its use.
Can any one provide more details about how to use tachometer to get optimum FE to decide when to shift to higher gear and what is the minimum rpm i should maintain. What are the suitable rpm for each gear.

Re: Using tachometer to decide when to shift gear

Tachometer shows you the revolutions of your crank shaft. To get optimum FE you need to up-shift early and shouldn't revv too hard. There is no such thing as minimum rpm to be maintained, it depends on how you ride, all you have to do is feel your car, and whenever you feel lack in power just down-shift and pedal her, its that simple [:)]. By the way is your swift a Diesel or petrol one ?

Its petrol - however I have heard that tachometer can be useful in deciding when to upshift

350Z

Core Team

Its petrol - however I have heard that tachometer can be useful in deciding when to upshift
It is ideal to upshift between 2500 – 3000 RPM (Petrol) for an optimum balance in performance and fuel efficiency.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I always shift mine between 1500-2000

Its not that I keep my eye on the tacho and then shift..its a trend I observed with my driving style.

And it doesnt jerk or zoom suddenly..its smooth..

When the shift is at the "perfect" speed, the gears shift smoothly..if you know what i mean.[:D]

It is ideal to upshift between 2500 – 3000 RPM (Petrol) for an optimum balance in performance and fuel efficiency.

Drive Safe,
350Z
I just observed my pattern, and I tend to upshift between 1500 to 2000 RPM, does that mean I am shifting earlier ? Its a swift petrol, and I think if I dont shift before 2000 car seems to be reving

I mostly shift by feeling the power output and engine sound on my bike which does has tachometer. Looked at tacho only if i'm in power mode[:D] to optimize the performance(and hence maximize the fuel consumption ). Will not be getting it in my soon to be delivered Figo EXI.

When to shift gears, simple..

When you feel the engine is delivering enough power and hes been doing it for a while, then shift up and when you feel the engine is unable to give enough power then shift down.
In case I am understood then I am happy and if not, then I am ready to elaborate but then you will need to have a stone heart to read it complete.

Ideal RPM for shifting gears is around 2000 for most of the small petrol cars. Regarding speeds,iam shifting to 2nd gear in the range 10-15kmph,3rd in 20-25,4th in 35-40,5th in 50-55 in my spark.It is more or less the same recommended by the manufacturer.

I always shift mine between 1500-2000

Its not that I keep my eye on the tacho and then shift..its a trend I observed with my driving style.

And it doesnt jerk or zoom suddenly..its smooth..

When the shift is at the "perfect" speed, the gears shift smoothly..if you know what i mean.[:D]
I just observed my pattern, and I tend to upshift between 1500 to 2000 RPM, does that mean I am shifting earlier ? Its a swift petrol, and I think if I dont shift before 2000 car seems to be reving
I agree with both of you,you are doing just fine.

i normally rev between 2500-3500 rpm. sometimes going it to 6500 rpms as well just for kicks. because its the VTEC zone. [;)]
So it comes down to what you are driving. if you drive a high-powered one, shift range changes, but for the average hatch, it should be the range I mentioned.

Top Bottom