How To React Immediately After Involving in Accident?

350Z

Core Team
I know it very nicely,till date I have faced two accidents and both the times we people were helplessly waiting for police to come and help us,else those were some village people and truck drivers who helped us,else the bus and car occupants are really very very much heartless at such situations.
True that. People in rural areas are quite cooperative than the allegedly ‘educated’ citizens of urban areas. Some folks from a village around Muzzafarnagar helped us last year when a car had intentionally hit our taxi and ran away.

Drive Safe,
350Z

^^Add students too to this list,they are always amongst the first ones to come up for the help.
I have seen that teenagers/students can be easily found helping the victims and even carrying them to hospital etc.

I immediately ran out of the car and helped him to pull off the bike. Although he was fine with no apparent injuries but I still don’t know how this would have happened. Anyways I just thought to share a small incident and urge everyone at least on our forum to please help someone out there in need rather than just being a spectator, which is usually a common scene in India.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Reason people don't come forward is that they feel they will have to go to courts, police station for several times, keep giving statements etc. It is only now after SC asked police to stop this non-sense that people are helping, but those unaware of SC ruling still are scared.

I know it very nicely,till date I have faced two accidents and both the times we people were helplessly waiting for police to come and help us,else those were some village people and truck drivers who helped us,else the bus and car occupants are really very very much heartless at such situations.
+1. Agreed that villagers and truck drivers are far better than others on road.

when i was in us I've never seen anyone bashing any one up, they first go check if the guys alright, or if the guy caused an accident and is able to get out of the car he goes and checks and offers help while giving his details to the public and the hospital he's taking the injured person to. Plus over there insurance is only offered to the injured driver who's name is registered on the insurance.

but i feel in India people fear, What if the guy dies before i take him to the hospital? I will be in a soup lots of questions etc better i stay away. But they will always come to show of by beating the driver and damaging his car and then walk away like a boss.
In US, there is thing called as 'Civic Sense' which is taught right from school and there is also one called as 'Respect of Individual and Life'. In India, everyone feels they are great and others are insects, especially in NCR.

Respect to life and property is what India unfortunately doesn't have, blame it on excessive population.[embarass]

On highways, there have been cases where some-one deliberately sleeps on the road with a bike fallen nearby, you go to help and suddenly a gang of dacoits will come from nowhere and try to loot you. Hence, it depends in which area you see the accident or feel that its an accident. Remember that on lonely stretch of road, halting your vehicle can be risky.

What to do in an accident.

First of all sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Yesterday my new (4month old) car was rear ended and I did not get a penny comp.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/loan-insurance-rto/14916-accident-help-please.html

So guys what is the correct procedure if you have an accident away from your home town. If you are in your home town you can call family friends for help.

This is the 2nd time within 5 months. Both times I walked away without a penny and feeling like an idiot.

I do not have a clue what to do. I think there may be others in my position.

I once rear ended somebody else, but I was open about it and said I will do what is necessary. But it seems I am in the minority.

Thanks

Re: What to do in an accident.

First of all sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Yesterday my new (4month old) car was rear ended and I did not get a penny comp.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/loan-insurance-rto/14916-accident-help-please.html

So guys what is the correct procedure if you have an accident away from your home town. If you are in your home town you can call family friends for help.

This is the 2nd time within 5 months. Both times I walked away without a penny and feeling like an idiot.

I do not have a clue what to do. I think there may be others in my position.

I once rear ended somebody else, but I was open about it and said I will do what is necessary. But it seems I am in the minority.

Thanks
Very sorry for the incident.

If it is an unknown place, never get into any argument with the other person. Talk to him politely, take a photograph using your mobile covering his regn. number, inform the concerned insurance people, call the police at the emergency number, give him a complaint and later collect the FIR copy, submit to the insurance office along with claim form. (Mind it, all your papers should be up to date).

But in this case at least lodge a complaint and get the FIR copy, if you want to make a claim. First check with the insurance people whether any time limitation is there to inform about the accident from the time of occurrence.

If the damage is a minor one then its better to avoid the claim, so that your NCB won't be affected.

Very sorry for the incident.

If it is an unknown place, never get into any argument with the other person. Talk to him politely, take a photograph using your mobile covering his regn. number, inform the concerned insurance people, call the police at the emergency number, give him a complaint and later collect the FIR copy, submit to the insurance office along with claim form. (Mind it, all your papers should be up to date).

But in this case at least lodge a complaint and get the FIR copy, if you want to make a claim. First check with the insurance people whether any time limitation is there to inform about the accident from the time of occurrence.

If the damage is a minor one then its better to avoid the claim, so that your NCB won't be affected.
Thankyou, this time I have no choice but to pay for it as he was not prepared for a compromise, and I did not file an FIR as I was going to a wedding.

My next question is , if I lodge my FIR at the unknown place, can I get the complaint transfered to my home town or will I have to keep on going to the town where I had my accident to follow it up.

Thankyou, this time I have no choice but to pay for it as he was not prepared for a compromise, and I did not file an FIR as I was going to a wedding.

My next question is , if I lodge my FIR at the unknown place, can I get the complaint transfered to my home town or will I have to keep on going to the town where I had my accident to follow it up.
You can make a complaint only in the jurisdiction where the accident occurred. And I don't think it can be transferred. Insurance people won't assist you to get the FIR copy, you have to collect by yourself and give to them.

When you make a complaint, you can always ask them when the FIR will be ready, collect their phone number and confirm whether it is ready before you go.
You can always speedup things!!!!!!!!!!!

What should I do? Can I claim from the other car's insurance? Should I lodge a complaint at the police station?
I have always had this question on Insurance. I know for sure in US, insurance company of person at fault pays of both the vehicles. That way if you are not at fault your history remains in tact (or your NCB as well).

But in India irrespective of who is at fault, we claim through our own insurer right? Or is there a way to claim from insurer of other party so that your NCB is in tact. Has anyone in this forum done it?

You can make a complaint only in the jurisdiction where the accident occurred. And I don't think it can be transferred. Insurance people won't assist you to get the FIR copy, you have to collect by yourself and give to them.

When you make a complaint, you can always ask them when the FIR will be ready, collect their phone number and confirm whether it is ready before you go.
You can always speedup things!!!!!!!!!!!

Thankyou so much for your reply, it looks as if the accident is small and no comprimise can be reached then just accept it, otherwise a lot of time & money will be wasted going to the station.[anger]

I have always had this question on Insurance. I know for sure in US, insurance company of person at fault pays of both the vehicles. That way if you are not at fault your history remains in tact (or your NCB as well).

But in India irrespective of who is at fault, we claim through our own insurer right? Or is there a way to claim from insurer of other party so that your NCB is in tact. Has anyone in this forum done it?
That is a good question. I have the same doubt in mind.

There are 3 parts of insurance coverage in US.

Liability Coverage: Mandatory. If you are involved in an accident and if it is your fault, your insurance will take care of the damages of other car, but not your car.

Collision Coverage: Optional. If you are involved in an accident and if it is your fault, your insurance will take care of the damages of your car.

Comprehensive Coverage: Optional. Covers damages to your car during the natural calamities/theft etc.

I am not sure if it is the same in India. it is always the victim of the accident worried about the NCB and other stuff and the other party (accused) walks off with nothing to worry.

Last edited:
Friends, please tell me, how many of you have had your car damaged in an accident and left without getting a penny.

This is of course assuming you did not cause the accident in the first place.[;)]

It has happened to me two times now, both incidents within 5 months of each other.

It happened to my cousin last weekend.

Friends, please tell me, how many of you have had your car damaged in an accident and left without getting a penny.

This is of course assuming you did not cause the accident in the first place.[;)]

It has happened to me two times now, both incidents within 5 months of each other.

It happened to my cousin last weekend.
Hi JOHNLORD, I am also in the same boat as yours. my new car (<2months) is banged and I too walked with no compensation. Here is the description
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...petrol-1000kms-banged-details-page-5-a-5.html
Which you already read, and thanks for guiding me to this thread.

Apart from the monetory loss, the incident doesnt go out of my mind, and I get nervous when some vehicle is behind my car. Seems like its gonna take a while to be normal [cry]

Last edited:
Scenario- Careless worker opens door onto passing car
My mom was driving my car towards my apartment located on a narrow road. Garbage auto is parked on the road collecting garbage as mom drives past it,worker in the auto opens the door or rear hatch which hits my car door & tears the rear door metal off.
Auto pulls a quick u turn & flees.

I did not want to wash the car as it mite promote rust(i clean the car myself usually),mom decides to have a person clean it(without my knowledge),when it was being washed mom goes to see the car washed & pay the car cleaner,when she noticed the garbage auto & the cleaners looking at my car damage & commenting. Mom catches hold of them,a big melee ensues.
Cleaner pleads guilty says he picks garbage does not have any money,my mom just wanted an apology instead of rude answers. They say sorry & haste away before mom could call me.
After insurance its still going to cost me 4000 to 5000 am sure.
What would you do if some one opened a door & hit your car?

i have had cases where passengers in my car & friends car just carelessly open the door having near misses. Its a tricky scenario cos car driver would not be aware passenger plans to open the door & passenger could be a very ignorant person.

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom