How To Prevent Rats Entering Inside Car?

I too faced this problem, just gooogled and started using tobacco leaves no issues thereafter. I replace them twice a month. Also the most important is to keep the cabin clean and remove all the eatables (Popcorns, Peanuts, Chips etc....)inside the cabin.

Rats in my car !!

Hi everyone , i own a 5 year old Swift Vdi and a Hyundai verna fluidic Crdi from february this year and until now had no issues at all . It all began when the monsoons started !
First target was my Swift . Starting from small issues like eating the pipe of windshield washer and damaging Ac mechanism to some serious damage like dinning on some wire which caused the power steering to stop working .

If this was not all those little rat buggers are now attacking my new verna ! [frustration] .
First the windshield washer stopped working and now yesterday they digested the vehicles diesel pipe causing fuel to leak diesel all over the place when the key is on ! And the worst thing is this is not covered under warranty !

Whatever i do to confuse those rats like parking in different locations or directions in our building hasnt worked . I tried storing naphthalene balls , rat poison etc to no result . Now the only option left is to put a cat in the engine bay .
On saturday i had to travel to my office in the local crowded bus since both the cars were broken down by these pests , Please help !

Last edited:
Re: Rats in my car !!

Try spraying diesel around the engine bay.. also on the pipes.

This helped me out to get rid of these rats. You have to spray the diesel every alternate day so that it would not dry up.

Re: Rats in my car !!

Simple solution is to get the RAT repelant installed under your car bonnet. I got RAT menace resolved in same way. Ask MASS they must be having it or local mechanic will also do I think so. I got it done from TASS>

I also had Rat problems and have used lots of naphthalene in the engine bay and cabin. Seems to work as there has not been any further incidents in the last 2 years or so.

In the engine bay, you will find a natural depression on the battery stand. Put the naphthalene balls in there. However since the engine bay gets quite hot, you have to refill this every 2-3 weeks.

@chayan

Is that safe to use naphthalene balls in such heated area ?? do you use naphthalene balls or something else and where you place them

@chayan

Is that safe to use naphthalene balls in such heated area ?? do you use naphthalene balls or something else and where you place them
Simple plain white naphthalene balls (here in Kolkata I try to get those manufactured by Bengal chemicals as there are fake ones available that do not evaporate but form crystalline deposits).

Earlier I used to put them in a plastic bag and make some small holes in the bag and tie it to the battery clamp (the strip the lies on top of the battery and holds it in place). However now I have discovered a cavity between the battery and the plate on which it rests. I can easily push the balls into this cavity and there it stays even with on road vibrations and jerking.

Given there is high heat under the bonnet, I think this particular area is not exposed to the extremes, but sufficient enough for the balls to evaporate and give out the scent (which hopefully keeps the rats away).

I don't think there is any reason for alarm as the balls easily last 3-4 weeks and hence I conclude they are not that readily inflammable. Also have not found any adverse effects.

However I would advise people use their better judgement and not to hold me responsible if anything really goes wrong.

Sorry to be opening up this old thread. But didn't wanted to open a new one for the same issue.

I experienced strong smell of rat urine in the cabin when the fan was turned on day before yesterday, so i took the car to MASS. they, at first said that the whole AC unit may have to removed and cleaned, but later they cleaned the vents and other parts using dettol. there were rat feces in the floor after the cleaning.

they told me that RATS enter through AC air-intake.

can we cover the intake using steel mesh?
Also where is this intake, can anybody show a picture or guide the location?
since there was a strong smell , do i have to really clean the AC unit?

i think the rats entered because we have stopped using kitchen wastes for plants, as we have a bio-gas plant, they are not getting food and now trying new areas, this type of ting never happened with the old car.

now the MASS said that the rats will continue to enter, as they have their path. is this true?

To reach the air intake you need to remove entire dash and blower unit.

I too had faced this problem, finally had to remove blower unit and fix a mesh.

After fixing the mesh its safe but it gets dirty the air inflow is reduced.
Also there are many hidden routes ! Which rats choose I will post the pic's if you need..

First of all, I would suggest you not to eat or store any eatables in the car. As mentioned in previous posts in same thread, there are many approaches one can use to repel the mouse menace. So you can use one of those easily.

Top Bottom