How To Prevent Rats Entering Inside Car?

i am using simple method.
my parking hut is fully open from three sides. i turn on the garage bulb all over the night.

A week back when I started my Fluidic Verna which was not used for more than five days; the reverse camera and the sensors stopped working.[roll] Took the car to the service center thinking that there might be some faulty part. After investigating they found that the rat had eaten up the wire connecting the reverse gear switch. They made a joint and when I was about to take the car; they told that you have to pay the labour charge bill of 450/-[shock] The switch was under the battery and the air filter.

Also I found that since the car was unused for much days the rats entered. Generally when I return back from office the engine is quiet hot. And I guess till 1 or 2 in the morning; the engine is still warm. So IMO rats used to leave my car and target other cars.[lol]

Some time ago, when I was about to go to office and turned the keys, it was not starting. Opened the bonnet and saw a splash of diesel all over. .Rats ate the fuel pipe.

Called Tata Service Center and there towing car arrived within 45 minutes.

Since spare fuel pipe was out of stock with them, they did a repair work on that one and did a thorough check on other cables and wires (luckily no other damages)

Charge for repair - 0
Charge for towing - Rs 250 (Service station is 10 kms away from my home)

They adviced me to place nafthalene balls near the engine bay and battery or where ever space avilable in bonnet.

From that day, using nafthalene balls and tobacco.

Now a days only tobacco.

Last edited:
Some time ago, when I was about to go to office and turned the keys, it was not starting. Opened the bonnet and saw a splash of diesel all over. .Rats ate the fuel pipe.

Called Tata Service Center and there towing car arrived within 45 minutes.

Since spare fuel pipe was out of stock with them, they did a repair work on that one and did a thorough check on other cables and wires (luckily no other damages)

Charge for repair - 0
Charge for towing - Rs 250 (Service station is 10 kms away from my home)

They adviced me to place nafthalene balls near the engine bay and battery or where ever space avilable in bonnet.

From that day, using nafthalene balls and tobacco.

Now a days only tobacco.
Very True. I had the same problem. I did complete vaccum clean of the car. Then placed naphthalene balls(inside bonnet and cabin) and tobacco leaves (inside the bonnet). I have kept naphthalene balls inside cabin in order to remove the smell of any food items. However, it smells bad in the cabin for couple of days. But, this is the only option we have to keep the rats away.

I dealt with the rats which damaged cables in my new Ertiga using the tricks I had read somewhere on the forum. I placed tobacco in small plastic bags in the engine bay. For few days, I also spread some red chilli powder around the car. Sounds funny but it worked. [clap]

Keeping Napthalene balls packets inside the hood also does the trick. Thing is there is no universal solution for rate menace. Most of the cases, its trial and error basis. In my case, tobacco packets dint work; where is this napthalene balls worked. Touchwood [lol]

Last edited:
Keeping Napthalene balls packets inside the hood also does the trick. Thing is there is no universal solution for rate menace. Most of the cases, its trial and error basis. In my case, tobacco packets dint work; where is this napthalene balls worked. Touchwood [lol]
How do you place those naphthalene balls, can you post a pic if possible[:)]

Is it not flammable?, may be you should avoid keeping in the hood.

For me tobacco works! You should buy the tobacco leaves, not the once which are cut into small bits and sold in packets.

tobacco.jpg

This one is ideal. It works for me, will post a picture of it in my car hood later.

Typically for Rs30, I get a handful from shops near my place and place it at various places in the hood, it works for atleast 6 months.

I make it a point to change it as soon as my car is back from the regular service.

Also make sure the AC is in circulation mode when you leave the car. This help as it prevents the rats getting inside the car.

RK, There is an alternative way to place Naphthalene balls or tobacco.

Place naphathele balls as it is on multiple places inside the hood during night parking only. Similar way make some holes with a pin in tobacco sachets and place them same way. Remove them in morning and store them in a plastic bag and keep aside in boot. (additional benefit of getting an opportunity to open the bonnet and do a visual check everyday).

The effect of Nafthalene balls and Tobacco lasts long with this method and their aroma is sharper than permenantly placing them in bonnet area.

Last edited:
Please post some pics, how you place that tobacco and what type of shops sell these??
@Gurrala74, Here are few snaps. I wrap the tobacco in a cloth and keep in the engine bay. 2 of them hanging, 2 stuffed in the crevices.

DSC06467.JPG

DSC06468.JPG

DSC06469.JPG

This pic shows the 4 places. You can choose whichever place convinent in the engine bay.
DSC06474.JPG

Regarding where to buy: in a shop, where they sell all items required for temple puja stuff (campher, turmeric, sandal, agarbhatis, betel nuts, pan leaves, diyas etc). I don't know how to correctly explain.

You can ask for the dried tobacco leaves, and tell them it is for repelling the rats. They shopkeeper knows, generally people in small houses with the tiled roofs and the huts, they keep this tobacco leaves to repel the rats.

I will try to post some! Dont have a pic as of now

Place naphathele balls as it is on multiple places inside the hood during night parking only. Similar way make some holes with a pin in tobacco sachets and place them same way. Remove them in morning and store them in a plastic bag and keep aside in boot. (additional benefit of getting an opportunity to open the bonnet and do a visual check everyday).

The effect of Nafthalene balls and Tobacco lasts long with this method and their aroma is sharper than permenantly placing them in bonnet area.
This is excatly what I was referring to. I place the napthalene balls at various places at night and then remove them before I crank the engine next morning. Thanks autosafari for pointing it out.

Hey buddy I owned you omni previously,and i had same rat issue,for months,i lost some 8k for my omni.That was very high for it.so next time i got it service,got some advise from regular mechanic that spraying some oil on engine bay help to keep engine compartment clean.So i done it,there after i did not notice any rat problem in my car,infact,there after they never gave me any problem,even though they roamed near my car.

Another case was my uncle who owns Maruti WagonR,he need to park his car which is exactly beside the restaurant,i bet his engine compartment looked the worst even it was 2 year old car.He had done almost all the methods,tabaco,jelly trap,mouse poison cake ,nothing came to rescue. those mouse did not gave up,i just hated to look his engine,pathetic. my dad advised him so,to spray some oil,he had done it in his service and results were positive.He was so happy he drove down to our home to show us. hahahha.

Still story continues with my ertiga [frustration],now it is also infested,got rid of them,but not with oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put tobacco leaf 'Hans' brand in the engine bay, so it doesn't stink the cabin.
Don't use rat poison... I did that once and the rat died somewhere inside the car vents.
It stunk up the whole car!

I don't know about other cars BUT for Tata cars like Indica TASC used to do a job called meshwork or something where they covered & welded all the probable rat entry openings with small hard iron meshes just like the ones on bathroom floor drains I suppose & after that the rat problem went down considerably

Top Bottom