How To Prevent Rats Entering Inside Car?

Rats eat up the power of my Ertiga. [frustration]

A week ago, just as I started the engine of my Ertiga I could feel a lot of vibrations similar to what old Tata Sumo or Tempo Trax used to make. I had never felt such vibrations in the past. In fact it was hard to tell whether the engine is on or not in neutral. Also, the car was struggling to generate power. With AC on, it was struggling in 3rd & 4th gear & had to down-shift frequently. I realized something is wrong.
So I took the car to my dealer's workshop & got it checked. The reason was shocking. Rats had eaten up the wire of fuel injector. [anger] The car was running on 3 cylinders & 4th cylinder was not able to function. Got the cable replaced & now the car is running fine. I will post the picture of the eaten-up connector soon.

But now I am worried if this happens again. I have kept rat-poison cakes in the engine area. Just read about tobacco leaves in earlier posts of this thread. I will try those.

I sprinkle dollops of black pepper powder, red chilli powder and tobacco leaves inside the bonnet in areas it couldnt blow off, its working well!

Recently I faced this problem again, but luckily nothing was cut.

When I open the bonnet for Dassera Puja, lot of polythene covers were there near the battery area and lot of RAT ****, then I was surprised and checking what must be wrong and found that there a small dustbin kept in my office where I park my car complete day and night and I think rats dragged those covers and other things and sitting on the battery and trying to eat something out of that. Immediately I told my office people to remove that dustbin from there. But I am bit worried now and I want to use something to keep them away. I am not convinced much with RAT kill or Tobacco leaves, but somebody told me somewhere that if naphthalene balls are kept on the battery bay then RATs do not come is that true

I had this problem a few months ago. Suddenly one day the driver side headlight stopped working to my surprise. I took it to a mechanic with a new bulb thinking it was spoilt. He opened the bonet and checked and told me that a rat had chewed on the wire. [frustration]
He put a tape all all around the important wires and since then haven't had any problems. [clap]

they told me that RATS enter through AC air-intake.

can we cover the intake using steel mesh?

now the MASS said that the rats will continue to enter, as they have their path. is this true?
For AC air intake can be covered by a mesh filter .In 2010 MASS had given me a brochure of such filter which prevents rat , dried leaves , papers on the road from entering the AC intake , unfortunately I lost it . Please enquire at other Masss.I will also try.

Rats eat up the power of my Ertiga.

Rats had eaten up the wire of fuel injector. [anger] The car was running on 3 cylinders & 4th cylinder was not able to function. Got the cable replaced & now the car is running fine

But now I am worried if this happens again. .
In 2010 , For my wagonr BS3,SAI service maruti dealer had offered me a treatment of engine exterior and wires with greece type material which they claimed helps in cooling the engine and prevents rats from nibbling the wires as rats naturally choose dry things to nibble. and hate oily and greece covered material.
I got the treatment done cost me 2 k ,but I have forgotten the name of the treatment material. I will check with the dealer if he has history available with him.

Last edited:
Finally found this thread. I don't use my car that much and as a result its parked in the ending part of my building ground (we don't have a parking lot). As there are other people who park their own car as they take out more frequently. Now the problem is adjacent to our society right next to my car parking area there is this other building and other people throw all the food from their window directly on my car [anger].

My building watchman washes the car everyday but he only does it once in the morning but the people in adjacent building keep throwing food 24 x 7 so its a feast for the rats and as a result they have eaten up all the wirest. Last week when i started my car the fog lamps and the headlight was not working. I took my car to the local mechanic and found that the whole wiring of the lamps and some other wiring were chewed off[frustration].

Please suggest should i buy a car cover or something?

@bunty : Car cover is good option, but as now rats know your car, they will come here again and again, best remedy is to use mouse repelant medicine. Some have also suggested mint powder. try this and once they stop coming, they won't come again, unless you put a cheese in your engine bay and invite them for dinner. [:D]

Check the link below:

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...nt-rats-entering-inside-car-3.html#post207357

In Bangalore especially if you are in an area/layout which is sparsely populated and empty land plots/sites nearby there is a lot of rat/snake menace especially around the rainy season which is pretty much 10 months a year [:)]... I had this problem around 2006 which TASS fixed for me for around Rs 1000(or lesser I think), what the rep explained to me is that they identify all the opening from where there is a possibility of rats entering and weld/fix those with some sort of good sturdy iron/metal mesh which blocks pests from entering & damaging the wires & other stuff!

By the way the rat entering problem significantly reduced after they did the job.

You can prevent the rat not to enter inside the cabin by always keeping the AC inhaler in close position the switch with the C indicator. as per my knowledge its the only entry to the cabin.
But inside the hood i would say it may be a crazy particular rat. Rat poison daily may help.

I have heard from one of the SA that if you switch on the "fresh air" mode in A/C it opens up a vent for air, through which rats can easily enter. Always make sure that the "Fresh Air" mode is turned off when you park the car.
+100, That will prevent the rat entering the cabin.
Try the poison spray from Hit,Mortein the stronger one, in side the hood at night after parking,the smell of the spray may keep them away.+ rat poison cake under the car.
Try it continuously for a week or two,it may be one or two rats all rats do not like pipes and wires if it was like that then we all would have the same problem.so get rid of those particular rats.

Last edited:

Top Bottom