How To Lighten the Steering of Esteem

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends! I am Kabir and am a new member to this site. I own an Esteem LX 1997, I was wondering if I could fix in Alloys Wheels to lighten the steering. I thought of getting the power steering installed in my car but seems like an expensive affair, so dropped the Idea.

Please let me know if fixing Alloy wheel would solve my problem and also please let me know if anyone has got the power steering installed in a Manual Steering Esteem (LX).

Thanks in advance to all the members

350Z

Core Team
Welcome to The Automotive India, Esteem97. Yes, I think it should be possible to install an aftermarket power steering system unit from the VXi. But it’s not going to be an easy affair, in terms of both, cost and technical work included. Plus, there is no guarantee that it will be as much reliable as OEM. Alloys wouldn’t make a very significant difference either. If your car’s steering is behaving heavier than usual then please get it checked at an authorized workshop soon.

Drive Safe
350Z

Thread Starter #3
Thanks for your advice. [:)] I am just confused about what to do to lighten the steering, but one thing is: when drive my car after giving her rest for couple of days then the steering becomes a little smoother and I don't know how and why.

My car's steering is not even that heavy but just thought of making it a bit smoother. I heard somewhere that if one gets the Alloy Wheels fixed then the car gives a better pick up and quick braking with a smooth steering as the alloy wheels are lighter than the steel ones.

I'll be happy even if I can get my steering lighter by 10% to 20% or so

Is there any other way to lighten the steering?

Please advice.

Thanks in advance[:)]

If this is an inherent problem with car, right from he day of purchase I believe overhauling would not help much. You can shift to softer tyres (Yokohama or Michelin soft roaders would be bset bet) with profiling of your choice, Will cost you around 25K.
Power assist steering could be installed but can cost you round 25-80K.

Not sure though how much is left in your car to go for these upgrades.

Regards,
Maddy

well buddy for 80k you can get used esteem with power steering only! i will say dont spend and buy another car which comes with PS!

Aftermarket power steering will cost around 25k. I once enquired about it a MASS for my Alto, however scraped the plans soon after hearing the cost[lol].
Even i would recommend you to stay satisfied with the steering or else go for a used Esteem with PS.

Thread Starter #8
Thanks to all for your suggestions.[:)]. Yes, even I thought of trading this car and go for a used Esteem Lxi or Vxi.

I went to the garage yesterday that I usually go to, to get my car's doors serviced as there was some problem with them and the owner of that garage suggested me a very weird exercise.

He said that he can help me get rid of this car(My Esteem LX) as he knows someone who wants to sell his Esteem 97 Vxi for 45K but there are some problems with the HP(Some Loan clearance thing) of that 97 Esteem Vxi, due to which the car can not be transferred, so he could cut the chassis number of my car(97 Esteem LX) and fix (Weld) it to that 97 Esteem Vxi and so that car becomes my car from there on with my registration number which I have for my Esteem LX and suggested me to sell my Esteem LX to a Bhangaar Wala and take whatever he offers like 20 to 25K for my car.

So if I proceed with this kind of a procedure (Which I am not willing to) I will probably spend around 20K from my pocket and have a Esteem Vxi.

I am just very confused about this procedure as this the very first time that I have heard about such a practice, the owner of that garage said that this is a very common procedure, which they do for any completely damaged car.

I would request all of you to share your thoughts on the above subject and please let me know if these kind of exercises even exist in the car world and if someone knows about a similar case.

Thanks to all in advance[:)].

Thread Starter #9
Hi Automotive India

I am Kabir and I am new to TAI, I joined few days back, missed out on the introduction part. Sorry for that:sorry:

I own an Esteem Lx 97.

I had couple of questions in regards to lighten the steering of my car, for which I got more than couple of suggestions. Thanks to all for the same.

Below mentioned is another query/question/case, for which I didn't get any responses, perhaps my query just did not make any sense. Though I am simply not willing to go with this Idea, but I am still curious to know if something like this done.

I went to the garage yesterday that I usually go to, to get my car's doors serviced as there was some problem with them and the owner of that garage suggested me a very weird exercise.

He said that he can help me get rid of this car(My Esteem LX) as he knows someone who wants to sell his Esteem 97 Vxi for 45K but there are some problems with the HP(Some Loan clearance thing) of that 97 Esteem Vxi, due to which the car can not be transferred, so he could cut the chassis number of my car(97 Esteem LX) and fix (Weld) it to that 97 Esteem Vxi and so that car becomes my car from there on with my registration number which I have for my Esteem LX and suggested me to sell my Esteem LX to a Bhangaar Wala and take whatever he offers like 20 to 25K for my car.

So if I proceed with this kind of a procedure (Which I am not willing to) I will probably spend around 20K from my pocket and have a Esteem Vxi.

I am just very confused about this procedure as this the very first time that I have heard about such a practice, the owner of that garage said that this is a very common procedure, which they do for any completely damaged car.

I would request all of you to share your thoughts on the above subject and please let me know if these kind of exercises even exist in the car world and if someone knows about a similar case.

Apart from the above I wanted to know if anyone can suggest me how much would the rear window roller machine cost me as my car's rear window (Manual) was very very hard and my mechanic said the machine in it is damaged, for which I will have to spend 900Rs, which I think is a bit high.

I have also asked him to get the hinges fixed as the doors make really weird knocking sound, for which he said approx 1500Rs. Is it the right quotation?

Since I didn't have a choice but to get it done, so I have left my car at the garage and will be collecting the same tomorrow.

Please let me know if any one knows about the cost of that machine and the hinges

Will be looking forward to hearing from all of you.

Thanks to all in advance.[:)]

Re: Hi Automotive India

Welcome

cut , fixing the chassis number alone will not be helpfull.
you need to change the engine number too.

and paper less made car - that is your car - if at all you do, will cost more than 20k in scrap rate. so a working , paperless car will fetch minimum of 40 to 55, in market.

And i suggest not to do so! for that spend the 30000 on the present car and make it fit! power window kits are available - you can very well fix it

Thread Starter #11
Re: Hi The Automotive India

@Ilango: Thank you so very much for your suggestions.

Yes, even I am not willing to go with that weird procedure..

I think I'll spend some more money on my car or may just go for another used one.

I am not aware of what to post where as I am new to this site or any car forum.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.[:)]

Thanks in advance..

Have a good day

Thread Starter #12
Re: Hi The Automotive India

Hi All!

Just a small clarification as I read my own thread and saw that it's really a huge one and a bit confusing, so before anyone misunderstands it I thought of making this clear that:

I have complete papers for my Esteem LX 97 with approved CNG on it and the other Esteem Vxi that I mentioned in my previous thread also has complete papers accept the HP(Some loan clearance thing) despite the loan being paid off.

@Ilango: are you sure if I sell my car to scrap market I will get around 40K to 50K. I mean did I misunderstand it? or the can the figure actually come close to 45K or so in the scrap market?

I'll be more than happy to sell it in the scrap market if I get around 45 to 50K or so.

Please advice.[:)]

Thanks in advance..[:)]

To lighten the steering some, here are some suggestions. Install narrower tires on the stock wheels. Install narrower wheels and tires. Increase the air pressure in the tires you now have. If the front suspension can be adjusted, decrease the positive caster setting a bit. Install a larger diameter steering wheel.

If it is possible, begin with reducing the positive caster on the front suspension, that will be the cheapest and best way to make the change.

All these things will make the car easier to steer, but can make it less stable at higher speeds if you go too far!

Esteem Power Steering Compatibility

Dear all,

I am new to this forum.
But i want to know something related to upgrading my car so i joined this forum.
Can anyone tell if Suzuki swift power steering can be used in Suzuki esteem?
Or also inform which other model of Suzuki like zen and all has compatible power steering for esteem?

Thanks and kind regards.

Re: Esteem Power Steering Compatibility

Hi
Welcome to the forum

Why ? do you want to change the whole Steering column ?

If there is an issue on existing one you are better getting it used one from one of the Wreckers. Don't go for some other one might not be the same

Top Bottom