How To Improve Exhaust Note?

Anything that you do to the stock muffler, apart from removing the glasswool, would not have good effect on the engine in the long run. Drilling holes, chopping off a section from the tail piece, etc do help but these jobs, if not done properly, would ruin your exhaust (rust)/engine(back pressure/valves). Tread accordingly.

Exhaust Note Increasing By Adding Muffler?

Can we increase the exhaust note by installing a muffer. I only want enhanced sound. But I heard that mufflers are only temporary and they wear out in 2-3 months! [confused] Also please quote the price for a good sound muffler [:D]

Just buy an aftermarket exhaust tip from any regular accessories shop. Should not cost more that a few hundreds. Now, as per your liking keep drilling asymmetric holes in it. This shall save your exhaust too from drilling holes.

freakdude.

Hi,

I would like to get a better exhaust note from my ritz diesel. I would like to have deep bass sound from my ride [:D]
I came to know about Remus exhaust.

Remus Exhaust is available specific for Ritz diesel?
Will it cause any harm to the engine/turbo?

Experts please throw some light and details how I can get one....

Why not go for an end can from HKS instead of drilling holes?? agree it will be a bit expensive(somewhere around 5k-6k) but will definitely sound better.

I had Remus in my Swift VDi, and it made minor* sound difference, sound was more deep in idle thats it [cry], I was told it is because of the diesel engine and turbo, and end can makes the difference in petrols only. After removing it I felt drop in performance but I guess it might have been more psychological than real :biggrin:

minor* = almost negligible. but since you own the car you will note the difference when driving along the divider where the sound echos a bit. other than that no difference :(

Autopsyche and performance zone guys both advised me in advance that the difference will be very less than the original in diesel, I dint know it will be like non-existent :|

Last edited:
i may sound a bit off topic. but thought that its better to clear my small doubt here itself instead of starting a new thread.
what can i do to get a good exhaust sound for my alto? i am not interested in doing any mods like FFE, K&N etc. i need a cheap but perfect job to be done. can somebody help me?

A pure stainless steel exhaust will cost you around 4.5 to 6 k.

dont act cheap by drilling holes in your exhaust, if you want the real sound and performance, be ready to pay for it.

Its your car buddy, treat her like one. [glasses]

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a customised end can/muffler made for my swift vxi from a very famous mechanic(FFE's) here in bangalore. The sound is quite good but preferred not to keep it very loud and the mechanic adjusted the sound according to my taste. I have used it for more than 5k kms now and the sound just gets better with age. It costed me around 3.5k (including fitting) with a SS tip.
If anyone needs the contact information of the mechanic in bangalore please feel free to contact me.

Good, from where did you get this, I too have a header kit. I had got it fabricated.

Have you only changed the end can ? Do post a video showing your car's exhaust note.

For petrol :
Cheapest Option : Remove one bolt from the final muffler and intermediate pipe joint and fix something between to open up the joint a little. Tried and tested. The sound may sound a little cheap though :D No noticable gain or drop in performance of FE.

Better Option : Change the final muffler with a glass wool one for more tone friendly sound. Bass depends on the muffler tip. Original HKS or remus cost around 10k plus. Local replica start from 3k. Neglible Gains.

Louder Option : Remove the auxiliary muffler with straight pipe with 2nd option for louder sound. You get a catback system. You lose on low end a little.

Best Option : Get a full FFE with headers and expansion chamber and some good final muffler for nice tone. Cost depends on engine and car. Good gains in both FE and performance.

And adding any tip to stock exhaust wont change the sound at all!

For Diesels :
IMO
Just listen to the turbo spool sound! Dont mess about with exhaust.
And changing the final muffler wont change the sound much in the diesel. You may run on less optimum performance though. Turbo exhausts are more complicated.

Good, from where did you get this, I too have a header kit. I had got it fabricated.

Have you only changed the end can ? Do post a video showing your car's exhaust note.
Hello Varun,
I got it done by Raj and Jameel. I guess you would have heard about them. Yes i have changed only the end can since i did not want to put a full FFE. I haven't taken a video of it yet but shall surely post a video of my car's exhaust note soon.

Hello Varun,
I got it done by Raj and Jameel. I guess you would have heard about them. Yes i have changed only the end can since i did not want to put a full FFE. I haven't taken a video of it yet but shall surely post a video of my car's exhaust note soon.
I too have got it from the same person, but till date I was thinking his name was Shaber. I guess Jameel is very famous for tuning petrol cars, like timing and tappet issues. Waiting for your video.

How about the mileage, has it decreased ?

I too have got it from the same person, but till date I was thinking his name was Shaber. I guess Jameel is very famous for tuning petrol cars, like timing and tappet issues. Waiting for your video.

How about the mileage, has it decreased ?
Good to know you have got it done from him itself. Raj and Shabir are the main guys and Jameel as you mentioned is famous for his tuning. I shall post a video tomorrow.
No decrease in FE.

Top Bottom