How To Clean Tree Sap Stains From My Car?

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
My car is usually parked under a tree and it is covered when not in use which works well enough to prevent it from bird droppings etc. Though I didn’t cover her last night. Guess what? I was shocked to find a bunch of spots of the tree sap. Sadly, they have spread more while trying to wipe them off and look uglier. It’s getting hard to remove these sticky stains. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same and what did you do to get rid off them safely without damaging the paint?

Tree Sap Marks.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

My car is usually parked under a tree and it is covered when not in use which works well enough to prevent it from bird droppings etc. Though I didn’t cover her last night. Guess what? I was shocked to find a bunch of spots of the tree sap. Sadly, they have spread more while trying to wipe them off and look uglier. It’s getting hard to remove these sticky stains. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same and what did you do to get rid off them safely without damaging the paint?
It really depends on how bad the sap is sticking to the car, try out with diesel first then mild vinegar -- if not i suggest you go 3m or other good detailing centres - they can try rubbing it off. Always try at a small spot to check success

You really need a car cover.

Never use vinegar or nail polish remover on car. You might not notice immediate effects but you have laid path for corrosion (vinegar) and fading paint(thinner). Try using a thick water shampoo solution and make gentle circles around the spots. After drying, apply any decent rubbing compound and let is be for a min. Rub off completely. If this doesn't work then soak a soft cotton cloth in diesel and rub the spots with it.

freakdude.

1)never apply vinegar or nail polish remover. period

2) try using a car shampoo. soak the stain with the shampoo for about 5 + mins and then give the surface a bath.

the stains would be off much easier than you could imagine.

Thread Starter #6

350Z

Core Team
My car is still in this condition at the moment. By the time I source one of the cleaners in coming weekend, I’m afraid it might become harder to remove the stains.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Tree sap is truly a cleaning project that gets tougher with time. As sap sits on the surface, it hardens and adheres more firmly. The fresher the sap, the easier it will be to remove. Although the technique remains the same, expect to spend more time and effort removing older sap.

If the sap will not soften, nail polish remover can also be used. Be careful, as the polish remover can damage some paints. Remove it with soap and water as soon as possible to prevent any damage.

My car is still in this condition at the moment. By the time I source one of the cleaners in coming weekend, I’m afraid it might become harder to remove the stains.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Did you try the shampoo wash yet??

freakdude.

Get meguairs quick detailer. Spray it and then wipe it off. It will for sure clean any stains that hasnt gone deep inside the clearcoat.

So what I do once in a fortnight is mix some kerosene in a bucket full of water and wash the car with it. Followed by plain water. All the spots including the tar spots goes off. If the stains are more; wet another cloth with kerosene and use it as a remover. I never use anything else on the car for cleaning; not even shampoo. Give it a try.

Vibhor, whats the current condition? Did you remove the stain? Please post the pics of the stain if possible.

Thread Starter #12

350Z

Core Team
Did you try the shampoo wash yet??
I don’t have a car shampoo. I’m planning to buy some car care products this weekend.

So what I do once in a fortnight is mix some kerosene in a bucket full of water and wash the car with it. Followed by plain water. All the spots including the tar spots goes off. If the stains are more; wet another cloth with kerosene and use it as a remover. I never use anything else on the car for cleaning; not even shampoo. Give it a try.
Sounds interesting. Is it safe to clean the car with kerosene? From how long you are practicing this?

Vibhor, whats the current condition? Did you remove the stain? Please post the pics of the stain if possible.
Akash, there’s an image attached on the opening post. Guess, you are accessing from the mobile version?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Sounds interesting. Is it safe to clean the car with kerosene? From how long you are practicing this?
From around 4years. No problem/complaints till now. I do this frequently during monsoons to remove the tar spots. Actually its a kind of Diesel wash IMO. If the spots are strong; I spray kerosene on them and leave it for few minutes and wipe it. Donno technically but psychologically I feel it gives some amount of shine too and makes the car look clean. [lol] Used this practice only once till now on our white Fluidic;l believe me all minute spots were gone.[:D]

use degreaser and then give it a wash and then use soap done!

don't use any nailpolish removers ( acetone) or thinners what ever you call them .it will take the layer of color off

use degreaser and then give it a wash and then use soap done!

don't use any nailpolish removers ( acetone) or thinners what ever you call them .it will take the layer of color off
Thinner is a kerosene mixed product i applied once on my black pulsar believe me shining was awesome but some minor scratches will be easily noticeable and later the metallic color becomes dull quickly in hot sun.

They use only to remove rust particles, also in my case black color easily absorbs heat it might soften the layer.

This was the lesson learnt from by bike and for my black fiesta i always use shampoo for wash with thin cloth.

Top Bottom