How To Calculate Your Car's Fuel Economy?

Re: How To Calculate Your Car's Fuel Economy / Mileage?

Infact this isnt how tankful method is done and both options you suggested will not yield accurate results check out post #16 suggested by tough guy - thats practically how accurate it could get though i will also attempt to see if OBD2 data can come close to this. this is assuming you havent upsized etc in which case you need to apply a further correction.
I think instead of auto-shutoff why dont we try with Neck to Neck concept. Fill the fuel till it reaches the neck of the tank [where you should be seeing the fuel from outside] and run for 100 KMs and then do the same.

In this case you need not to worry about the same fuel station or same fuel dispenser etc.

Only problem in this might be spilling of petrol on motion. but I tried the same option and I never faced the problem since now a days the fuel caps are really good and effective.

Purely my suggestion.

I think instead of auto-shutoff why dont we try with Neck to Neck concept. Fill the fuel till it reaches the neck of the tank [where you should be seeing the fuel from outside] and run for 100 KMs and then do the same.

In this case you need not to worry about the same fuel station or same fuel dispenser etc.

Only problem in this might be spilling of petrol on motion. but I tried the same option and I never faced the problem since now a days the fuel caps are really good and effective.

Purely my suggestion.
When we fill till neck of the tank, it would be not same always, Just bits here and there depending on what petrol guy think. While cutoff value will be same always. so no need to worry and calculations can be much more efficient and constant.

IMO, all the modern day cars have it. Vista has it too
I too did not noticed any reserve indicator on my Ritz[confused]
Even I don't have. if it is there it would have been very nice.

When we fill till neck of the tank, it would be not same always, Just bits here and there depending on what petrol guy think. While cutoff value will be same always. so no need to worry and calculations can be much more efficient and constant.
Dharmesh JI. What is the basic rule of auto cut of method. When refilling try with same fuel station and also with same fuel dispenser. This is mainly since different fuel dispenser will have different length or what ever measurement for auto cut-off.

In case of neck of the tank method, any fuel station any fuel dispenser will do since our aim is up to the neck.

More over, the guy where I usually fill petrol also said that sometimes the auto cut-off might be wrong depending upon the fuel available in the tank.

Finally we should have a accurate method.

Dharmesh JI. What is the basic rule of auto cut of method. When refilling try with same fuel station and also with same fuel dispenser. This is mainly since different fuel dispenser will have different length or what ever measurement for auto cut-off.

In case of neck of the tank method, any fuel station any fuel dispenser will do since our aim is up to the neck.

More over, the guy where I usually fill petrol also said that sometimes the auto cut-off might be wrong depending upon the fuel available in the tank.

Finally we should have a accurate method.
Agree. I was just talking that when you fill always from same Pump, it i better to always stop at cut-off.

350Z

Core Team

The calculator function in Microsoft Windows offers facility to calculate mileage in MPG as well as L/100 Kms. Go to View > Worksheets > Choose a suitable option.

Calculator-Car-Mileage.png

Drive Safe,
350Z

AnantG

Suspended
Before even pulling away from the pump, write down your current mileage. We will call this Mileage A.
To get as accurate a reading as possible, drive until the tank is less than half full. The longer you can go before getting gas, the better. Try to use the same station using the same pump as the first fill up, as pumps may be calibrated differently. This time, pay attention to how many gallons it takes to fill up the tank. This is usually shown at the pump. We will call this Gallons. This number we will call Mileage B.
The formula for determining your MPG is this:
MPG = (Mileage B - Mileage A)÷Gallons.

Just now calculated 120 Km in 30L.It is giving a whopping 25 Km/l with full tank.This is as per Calculation in Mileage in Calculator of Microsoft Windows.Will be trying in my Vento after highway trip and a city run.

Help me in calculating mileage of my bike - I have numbers with me

Hi,

I have Bajaj Avenger 220. Recently I was trying to calculate average (mileage) accurately. So I chose to calculate average using reserve-to-reserve method.

So here are the numbers :

Bajaj Avenger 220 has reserve capacity of 3.4 Litres.

I filled in 6.6 liters petrol when bike had already run 120 km on reserve.

After filling up petrol bike ran 180 km more before bike again came to reserve.

So bike ran total 300 km on reserve.

Amount of petrol consumed in reserve = 6.6 - 3.4 = 3.2

Is it possible to calculate my bike's average using these numbers?

Regards,
Chandrashekhar

Re: Help me in calculating mileage of my bike - I have numbers with me

- Fill petrol (above the reserve capacity)
- Run your bike till it reaches reserve
- Note the odo reading (lets say 1000km)
- Fill petrol again (note down the quantity, eg: 3 litres)
- Drive gain till it reaches reserve
- Note down odo reading (eg: 1120)

Fuel economy = (1120-1000)/3 ==> 40kmpl

Top Bottom