How Sedans are Better than SUVs / MUVs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Okay guys,as the topic suggests,I have started the thread to just show how a sedan is better than an SUV/MUV.Here we will be taking various parameters and then providing the practical results of the comparo.
The parameters considered now are:-
  • Price.
  • Ride and Comfort.
  • Ride and Handling.
  • Performance and FE.
  • Maintenance.
  • Utilities.

Price:-This part consists of two sub parts:-
  • Cost of buying.
  • What you get out of your money?

Cost of buying:-No doubt,sedans are always cheaper to buy as compared to the SUVs with same features and performance etc.

What you get out of your money?
What you get?Eh,you get a car or a truck,its upon you.Now just compare two cars,viz:Hyundai Verna CRDi SX and M&M XUV 500 W8.Now you will notice a huge difference between the product quality and fit and finish.While the sedan costs far lower,the Verna looks like something very much upmarket as compared to the XUV.While there is nearly same length of the feature list.

Ride and comfort:Eh,I need not to say anything.Compare any sedan and SUV of same category and everyone knows which is having better ride and comfort.In fact more pliant ride and more comfortable and silent cabin.

Ride and handling:SUVs stand no chance in front of sedans when it comes to this point.everyone knows that even the worst handling sedans handles better than the best handling SUVs.[clap]

Performance and FE:Haha,better less said in this field.Even a 120 bhp sedan can easily outrun a 190 bhp SUV and same way the same sedan gives about 20 kpl while the SUV never gives anything over 15-16 kpl.

Maintenance:Haha,SUVs have various extra maintenance issues as compared to sedans.

Utilities:No doubt SUVs offer better utility and are more flexible but then for the truck-level luggage etc I'd any day prefer the pick up trucks instead of spoiling my SUV.
For minor utilities,sedans offer great utility then..

Here are the pics of a SUV showing its utility(You can also notice the cheap looking parts and bad(say worse) fit and finish too):-
3.JPG
4.JPG

And here is a sedan showing the utility it can offer:-
2.JPG
1.JPG

That's all from my side..now waiting to hear from you people...also the SUV lovers..[angry]

Re: How the sedans are better than SUV/MUVs?

Agree with most of the things you said. Someone who wants to buy an SUV is not buying it for any of the above said things. I'd buy an SUV for its road presence.[evil]

Let me try to list a few advantages of SUVs
1. Can carry more people(if required), yep you have to compromise on the luggage space, but then you can't carry those 2 extra passengers in the sedan's boot can you?
2. The ground clearance!!! maybe...
3. Mileage per head (if you have 7 passengers)
4. If you have a dog at home, the folded 3rd row is the best place for him. [clap]
5. The driving position(height)

But I would not buy an SUV, I'm getting my sedan next week..

Thread Starter #3

Agree with most of the things you said. Someone who wants to buy an SUV is not buying it for any of the above said things. I'd buy an SUV for its road presence.
And sedan is for respect and for threatening those SUV owners!!![glasses]

Let me try to list a few advantages of SUVs
1. Can carry more people(if required), yep you have to compromise on the luggage space, but then you can't carry those 2 extra passengers in the sedan's boot can you?
How many people are really transported in the comfort?

2. The ground clearance!!! maybe...
Sensible driver can overcome lower GC,else there exists a car on the earth called SX-4.

3. Mileage per head (if you have 7 passengers)
You can carry 5 people at 19 kpl and 7 people at 14 kpl,now compare...

4. If you have a dog at home, the folded 3rd row is the best place for him. [clap]
Eh,who wants the pet to spoil the car either its a sedan or SUV?

5. The driving position(height)
What about a truck?Driving position must be comfortable,not high!!

But I would not buy an SUV, I'm getting my sedan next week..
That's the news..congrats buddy..[clap]

I wouldn't comment MAfia Sir
I don't wana get italian/indian mafia behind me :p

Dude My car is worst I got a Coupe and Boot has like no space haha and rear seats accommodate 2 people that too very hard [;)]

Thread Starter #5

Mafia!!!
Who??
Buddy you have got two+2 seats but what you have got is 'horses'...eh,now let me limit my words as emotions have started taking over my mind..:stupid:

haha yeah right
those horses are getting a makeover
getting new engine , paying 3000 dollars today :(

Sorry Vipul bhai, your whole posts sounds very one sided.

I would not want to get into the sedan v/s SUV debate once more, as it has been dealt with many times in this very forum.

But remember, an SUV fan is always an SUV fan. For example -

I have driven a Scorpio for Lacs for kms. Yes, the very same Scorpio which is known for it's infamous ride and handling, cramped cabin and poor plastic quality. But not even once, I have faced any issue with any of it's plastics. Nothing have broken down. I drive an SUV like it is meant to be driven. I dont race it around corners, I attack straight roads. I know how to handle a 2 ton top heavy SUV and I drive it accordingly. And I can proudly state that, even after driving various Scorpios for 8 years, forget toppling or any sort of accidents, I have not even had a minor dent in my car because of me.

After this, I have even driven some really nice sedans and hatchbacks which offer much better performance, ride and handing. But anyday, you give me an option between a Scorpio and a sedan/hatch, I would pick the Scorpio to drive, whether its in the city or the highway. I am sure my next replacement would be an SUV, maybe an automatic SUV. Say even if I have a crore tomorrow to buy a car, I would buy a Porsche Cayenne or my favorite Range rover over an S class or 7 series (though I am head over heels about the Jaguar XJ!).

The feel of driving an SUV is unmatched for me. And even if I try explaining why, I am sure sedan loyalists wont understand that... It has been witnessed here umpteen times. So I'll leave it at that.

So in the end, it all boils down to your personal preferences. I agree to whatever you say about the superior performance, ride and handling of the sedans, but I'll still prefer an SUV.

You need to understand - SUV lovers dont buy an SUV because they like attacking corners or they are interested in 0-100 kmph drags. So no point in comparing acceleration timings or handing over here.

Agree with most of the things you said. Someone who wants to buy an SUV is not buying it for any of the above said things. I'd buy an SUV for its road presence.[evil]
Very well said.

350Z

Core Team

Both, SUVs and Sedans serve a purpose in their own place. There cannot be a definite answer for which is ‘better’. Since the opinions would always strongly vary, I am afraid that this thread will eventually lead to baseless discussions which are not going to be productive for our community anyway. Therefore, I'm closing this thread for the same reason we locked the earlier “Sedans vs SUVs” Thread.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom