How Safe / Good are Multibrand Car Service Centers?

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,

We all are aware that diesel cars are prone to high maintanance cost when it comes to service and spare parts. I also agree that today's diesel cars come with great engines and are reliable for initial 2-3 years of ownership. The problem comes when the warranty expires and the time our cars expect some change of spares.

-We have 2 Diesel Cars in our family (SKODA & FORD). The Warranty of our Fiesta is completed and there is no option of buying extended warranty since it is more than 4yrs old.

I wonder how safe/good if we service such cars from Multi brand car service centers like Carnation, Mytvs, Etc.. I have few questions and hopefully our members can answer them.

1. Availability of Spares ?
2. Cost of spares & service charges ?
3. Prompt diagnosis,Reliable work & Seamless Service ?
4. Can they attend Accidental Repairs ?
5. What to do incase the multi brand service advisor says they are stuck and only the car manufacturer can proceed further ?

Please throw some light and help me decide on this. Thanks in advance.

-Kalyan

350Z

Core Team
Re: How safe/good are Multibrand Car Service Centers ?

Hello Kalyan, Multi-brand car service workshops like Carnation are very professional in their job and usually they keep qualified mechanics who know what they are doing. Although, I’d personally recommend using them for general check-up / servicing only, unless either if the usual service cost of your car is too high or you care a little about it because at the end of the day, only manufacturer can understand well about their own products itself. So it’s better bet to rely upon them, if a major problem occurs, ultimately you have to go back to them. I had paid a visit to Carnation a year ago and the experience was pretty average (Read Here: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...perience-carnation-auto-noida-sector-5-a.html) They might be good enough for basic service / accessories etc but if it comes to internal repairing, I will always stick to manufacturer’s authorized workshops only. Hope this helps and please search our forum to find more reviews.

Drive Safe,
350Z

except engine work (i recommend stick to manufacturer as they knoe better about there engine). you can get other things done from them . i haven't done any work from these popular shops on my safari but i get lot of work done in local garage .

About reliability of diesel engine they way more better then old engine . i have few friends driving 10 years old safari .

I have tried Carnation at Ambattur a few times , yes they are good enough! But like others said i would say stick to Ford's A.S.S!

1. Availability of Spares- Depends on the spare and its availability with them , general normal wear and tear spares will be available.
2. Cost of spares & service charges- Slightly higher than A.S.S but quality of work is good.
3. Prompt diagnosis,Reliable work & Seamless Service- I would say better than TATA'S A.S.S , they conduct an extensive check up of the whole car and tell us what all needs immediate attention , works are reliable.
4. Can they attend Accidental Repairs- I guess yes because i have seen cars involved in accidents in their garage , be it major or minor.
5. What to do incase the multi brand service advisor says they are stuck and only the car manufacturer can proceed further- I think they will never give out a reply like that , because it will give out a message they are not good enough!

Thread Starter #5
Thanks guys for the response.

I have a doubt : Can these Multibrand Centers keep stock of spares from Original Manufacturers ? I doubt companies SKODA/VW sell their spares outside.

Any info is appreciated, Thans again.

Thread Starter #6
The reason why i asked the above question :

I have a problem of severe Steering woobling with my FORD Fiesta and i suspect there could be a problem with any of the below:

-Tie rod ends
-Four year old tyres, with half life and done 47k Kms
-Check wheel alignment

So, If i have Carnation/Mytvs to work on my car and change spares like Tie rod ends, will those spares are from FORD or aftermarket spares ?

Please suggest me, Thanks in advance.

-Kalyan

The reason why i asked the above question :

-Four year old tyres, with half life and done 47k Kms
I guess this should be the problem. Tie-rod ends do not go too bad unless and until you drive on real bad roads!

Make yourself clear, is your still running on stock set of tyres that came with the car itself? If yes, it is hightime you changed them.

The tyres that come with the car are of comparitively lower quality and can last up to 30,000 kms without noise/wobbling if aligned/rotated and balanced at regular intervals.

After that, it is good to new set of tyres. Aftermarket tyres will last for 40K to 50K kms based on brand if maintained well!

Local garage , good?

depend on mechanic who run them.

a good experience , with better knowledge is always safe.

The thing like multibrand service like bosh /carnation have only few qualified mechs and other new comers.

and often the qualified mechs leaves his job to start a private workshop.

Eg, my mech worked in maruti authorised , then in TVS , then in a private garage in singapore and now here.

Regarding spares , carnation like bigger multibrand have some tie up with the company directly and they could get spares . But the real truth is still unknown.

350Z

Core Team
Thanks guys for the response.

I have a doubt : Can these Multibrand Centers keep stock of spares from Original Manufacturers ? I doubt companies SKODA/VW sell their spares outside.

Any info is appreciated, Thans again.
In most of the cases, they source the genuine spare parts from manufacturer only. At least this is what happened in my case.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #10
Make yourself clear, is your still running on stock set of tyres that came with the car itself? If yes, it is hightime you changed them.

Yes, They came with the car and i also hear clear sound from them. I think they became hard.

But I am confused..! They look almost brand new tyres with good button left over. Should i still consider changing them ?

If YES-> What brand you suggest for Fiesta considering we use them on real rough roads ?

Thanks a lot - Kalyan

Steering wobbling when braking at high speed? If yes then i too face the same problem , its due to the tyres. My Verna is also running with the stock tyres clocked 46k KMS , looking good for few thousand KMS more atleast!

Top Bottom