How Much Is Your Car's Battery Life?

Hi All

I have Dec 2014 Tata Zest RT(Petrol). I have used my car mostly on weekends and it remains parked in parking over the week. FOr last 3.5 years of ownership, I did not experienced any issues with car battery neither battery showed any symptoms of degrade in performance. Even if car is standing still over a week, engine used to get started in first crank itself.

last week, I accidentally left DRL lights on for about 4 hours during daytime. I immediately rushed to parking and switched them off as soon as I realized that parking lights are on. after switching off lights, I locked the car with remote key button. Lock indicators flashed as usual and there were no signed of battery drain on dashboard.

Next day, when I tried to unlock car remotely, it did not work and when I opened with manual key, I found that none of the electrical functions are working.

I went to a battery shop , brought the mechanic with me and the machanic jump started my car with battery he brought with him. He told me that battery will get fully charged till I drop him back to his shop. No issues with battery/car till I dropped him at shop about 1 km away. without siwtching of engine, I drove another 6/7 kms and parked my car back to home. I ensured no lights/functions are left on in car.

Next day, same issue. . There was just 'tak-tak-tak' sound when I tried cranking engine. all dashbaord indicators went dim after that. When I called same battery shop, he suggested to change the battery as it is more than 3 years old.

I need expert advise on what to do in this case. How come car battery will suddenly stop charging. Do I need to replace the battery at this stage ?

Existing battery is Exide make.

please advise.
In Exide batteries , there's battery health indicator (Which is a chemical indicator , which shows a colour), try googling the same , and I think if it shows red , then alone you need to change the battery.

Assuming your battery as a lead acid battery-
1.You drive for sometime , and when you try to start , is it hesitant to start?

If so the battery is totally dead

2. If starting Voltage is not met , think one of the cell might be weak .
As your car doesn't run so frequently , think its better to change the battery .

Go for Exide/ SF sonic/ Amaron

Tata Tiago 1.05L (Diesel)

Stock - Tata Green 54 Ah
Lasted for - 2 years approx
Note : Tiago do have battery failing issues, so maybe that’s the reason for early die.

Battery Test Report: Done at TASC
CEC4C96C-7566-47CE-8AE8-3FC006FABA4A.jpeg

New Battery

New Battery - Exide Mileage 60Ah
Guarantee/Warranty - First two years guarantee (replacement), rest two years warranty (pro-rata basis)
Cost - ₹7904
Buyback of Old Battey - ₹1004

Benefit of New Battery - Colour matches with car’s colour :stupid:

Last edited:
Seems like the batteries are deeply discharged try to drive or give to battery shop for full recharge.almost 4 years a battery life is almost nearing it's end

Are your DRLs aftermarket with very high consumption?
DRLs are factory fitted. I have not changed anything since purchase of car.

Tata Tiago 1.05L (Diesel)

Stock - Tata Green 54 Ah
Lasted for - 2 years approx
Note : Tiago do have battery failing issues, so maybe that’s the reason for early die.

Battery Test Report: Done at TASC
View attachment 249278

New Battery

New Battery - Exide Mileage 60Ah
Guarantee/Warranty - First two years guarantee (replacement), rest two years warranty (pro-rata basis)
Cost - ₹7904
Buyback of Old Battey - ₹1004

Benefit of New Battery - Colour matches with car’s colour :stupid:
Is this battery test performed by any authorized battery dealer ?
Is the cost of replacement is HIGHER because you bought it at TASC ?
I read that online battery would cost around 4.5k with exchange of older battery.

anyways, I need to perform the various battery checks you all suggested.
I feel I do not need battery replacement as yet, because it was working just fine till week w/o any symptoms of degradation.
Thanks All.

Is this battery test performed by any authorized battery dealer ?
Is the cost of replacement is HIGHER because you bought it at TASC ?
I read that online battery would cost around 4.5k with exchange of older battery.
Battery Test is conducted at TASC.
Have got new battery from outside (Exide authorised outlet) and not from TASC.
Do check ampere rating, the one which I got is 60 Ah (Tiago diesel stock battery was 56 Ah)

Thanks to TAIger Prabhagar bro for battery details.

has anyone used online battery vendors ? Your feedback will help . Thanks
HI SV,

Try the Batterybhai.com. i had a very good experience from these guys and work are very clean in Chennai[clap]. till now i have bought 7 batteries from them in past 3 years no one had any issues till date.

2 car battery (Ritz, Figo)
3 bike battery (Ray z, Pulsar, Activa)
2 inverter battery

Hope this would help you.

Thanks. Have you used Tata Green Battery before ?
FOr tata zest petrol, almost all online vendors offer only Tatagreen or Exide

My OEM is Exide DIN44R.

Online vendors confirmed that Amaron does have R battery for Tata zest Petrol.
so I have only these 2 options.

any suggestions ?

My OEM battery never troubled me in last 3.5 , until it degraded performance one fine day after I left DRLs on for 4 hours. so I'm ok with 44Ah battery & do not have any after market electrical accessories installed in car.

Thank

Thanks. Have you used Tata Green Battery before ?
FOr tata zest petrol, almost all online vendors offer only Tatagreen or Exide

My OEM is Exide DIN44R.

Online vendors confirmed that Amaron does have R battery for Tata zest Petrol.
so I have only these 2 options.

any suggestions ?

My OEM battery never troubled me in last 3.5 , until it degraded performance one fine day after I left DRLs on for 4 hours. so I'm ok with 44Ah battery & do not have any after market electrical accessories installed in car.

Thank
My OEM battery was Tata Green only which lasted for 5years solid as i have added lot's of accessories like Touch screen, extra Lamp power, etc i battery lost the gravity. so you can go ahead....!!!

Nowadays , what my trusted battery dealer says is -

Earlier there used to be single spec for cars in general , except variation for diesel and petrol . But now, the spec is different from 35 mah , we have upto 65mah or so .

In general the car needs 12V as potential , current doesn't get a standard value.
Say with respect to specification and features of a car , it needs 40mah , and dealer gives 35mah battery , the ride will run , only issue is premature failure of battery.

When we replace battery even if for 40mah , you put 55mah or so , advantage is low load during starting , issue being (Sometimes , not enough space for bigger battery to fit in).

deville_56

Honoured Member
Usually, maintenance free ones lasts their warranty period. It was more like their expiry dates or approx life. Most of mine died around that period, at least 10 batteries in various vehicles in last 18 years. Non-maintenance free lasted more, but needed proper care, doomed if missed filling distilled water.

Battery of my Maruti Alto lasted for nearly 6 years after which i sold the car, who knows it might still be working!!!
The Manza which i bought previous month had it's original battery from year 2010 and i had to change it day before yesterday because it just didn't start when i
stopped in traffic!! and i just went deaf when people honked before me like _____ .

Top Bottom