How Much Is Your Car's Battery Life?

Battery life is not related to how many years, its depend on how many times discharged and charged. A lead acid battery should never go down by 30% of its capacity. If so there will be permanent crystallisation. When car needs more electrical power battery supplies and alternator needs to replenish it, if you accessories and your load exceeds alternator capacity your battery always not charged full capacity and losing its capacity on long run. You have to select your electrical load based on your alternator capacity.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...technical-issues-solutions-42.html#post513639

-suryaputhra

Tata Manza do not have Current sensor on battery harness, its alternator charges always up-to 14.2V so batteries lost longer. Cars with current sensor is controlled by ECM and BCM charging voltage varies from 12.95 to 13.9 sometimes goes 14.2 based on battery real-time condition. his method never works in real life scenario due to inherent limitation in lead acid battery technology. Batteries in cars with current sensors are not lasting more than three years.

-suryaputhra
Let's see, I have Tiago too. Does it uses the newer technology or is it old school?

As per my knowledge Tiago uses current sensor, better engineered like not to short sensor fuses, but in case of Swift or dzire sensor fuses short if some one mishandle the current sensor. Kwid do not have current sensor.

-suryaputha

Last edited:
My old i10 bought in 2011 lasted for 5 years with only 20k km running. The battery inside was Exide. I hadn't any problems till the car was with me.

Battery life cycles range from three-to-five years depending on the battery. However, driving habits, weather and frequent short trips (under 20 minutes) can drastically shorten the actual life of your car battery.

Today I had to replace the battery of my I10. The battery was approx 3.5 years old.

My question is my local workshop who are normally good replaced it with a ROOTS battery. Total cost was Rs4200 they also took my old battery. Looking on the net that seems to be high. Good companies like Exide and AMARON seem to cost about 1K less especially if you give them your old battery.

Have I been conned. Is ROOTS reliable.

Have I been grossly overcharged.

I could not afford to look around as I needed the car urgently.

Thanks

Last I remember, my OEM battery of Mahindra Verito lasted 4 years 1 months. It was Amaron 45 amps.

TVS Apache stock battery last 2 years and then I took 4 years warranty battery twice and they lasted above 4 years. The recent one was taken 2 years ago (48 months warranty but went kaput in 2 years). In all these days, I used Amaron / Exide.

Hyundai Santro stock battery lasted for 3 years (exceed my expectations) and then I replaced with Standard Furukawa (48 months warranty) and it lasted 55 months. (again exceeded expectations)

The vehicles (batteries) which spend more time in parking space lounge are tend to premature failure.

My M- 800 DX car's ( 1998 model) Stock Battery -(Excide wet type) lasted only for 3 years. Later I bought Amaron ( dry type) which lasted for 7 yrs, the next one Amaron lasted for 6 yrs few months and now I have the 3rd Amaron Battery purchased in January 2014 and still going strong. Normally the life of Excide Battery in M- 800 last for about 3 years, whereas Amaron lasts for at least 6 years to 7 yrs.

Trip meter resetting at the time of starting along with mild crank hiccup, is it sign of battery dying? But car cranks first time. Not all the times it's been seen.
It's stock, 3.8 yrs old battery.

Last edited:
Taking time to crank up is definitely one of the sing that your battery is dying. Taking time to crank could be because of other issues also, to know for sure, check your battery, 3.8 years looks like, its time to pack-up the battery.

My Octavia TDI lasted 4 years and 1.5 lakh kilometers. Elantra CRDI, changed two times, usually lasts up to 4 years again, with 1 lakh plus running. I used both Amaron and Exide.

Dear members, need your help, my Wagon R of July 2014's battery seems to be dying, it's covered 20k km in 3 years 8 months.

Yesterday I showed it to my battery wala, he tested it's showing full charge of 12v, but output of 9v. It's an exide wet type oem.

He is offering exide MF for 4.3k and 800 for old battery. Amaron around same price, he also has Livguard?

Should I get online or from the local battery wala?

Please advise.

Thanks
Vinod

bhvm

Honoured Member
My XUV battery is about 5 years now. Still going strong.
My Inverted batteries did 8 years before they need to replaced. The newer ones were installed in 2011, they have already done 6+ years.

Hi All

I have Dec 2014 Tata Zest RT(Petrol). I have used my car mostly on weekends and it remains parked in parking over the week. FOr last 3.5 years of ownership, I did not experienced any issues with car battery neither battery showed any symptoms of degrade in performance. Even if car is standing still over a week, engine used to get started in first crank itself.

last week, I accidentally left DRL lights on for about 4 hours during daytime. I immediately rushed to parking and switched them off as soon as I realized that parking lights are on. after switching off lights, I locked the car with remote key button. Lock indicators flashed as usual and there were no signed of battery drain on dashboard.

Next day, when I tried to unlock car remotely, it did not work and when I opened with manual key, I found that none of the electrical functions are working.

I went to a battery shop , brought the mechanic with me and the machanic jump started my car with battery he brought with him. He told me that battery will get fully charged till I drop him back to his shop. No issues with battery/car till I dropped him at shop about 1 km away. without siwtching of engine, I drove another 6/7 kms and parked my car back to home. I ensured no lights/functions are left on in car.

Next day, same issue. . There was just 'tak-tak-tak' sound when I tried cranking engine. all dashbaord indicators went dim after that. When I called same battery shop, he suggested to change the battery as it is more than 3 years old.

I need expert advise on what to do in this case. How come car battery will suddenly stop charging. Do I need to replace the battery at this stage ?

Existing battery is Exide make.

please advise.

Top Bottom