How Much Is Your Car's Battery Life?

350Z

Core Team
My car's battery lasted for 5 years. Generally the car refuses to start easily when the battery is on its last stages. Not everytime the case is same however.

Drive Safe,
350Z

A good maintained bat , must come for 5 year , then it will last a year or more on continuous running , else a idle car will loose soon as after 5 year the cell life comes down.

One of my experience ,

1. One of my friend has a petrol uno , it has 37 amp bat as stock and accordingly it has a alternator. he change it to a 2nd hand indica bat (my indigo has 60 amp must be same for indica) , it lasted for 4 year to him. It was in indica for 4 years. So that amaron bat lasted for 8 year. On continuous running , it cranked the car well.

One of my query is ,doesn't that alternator ruin the battery as it has higher amp? It doesn't properly charge the bat.

2. In our omni it was for 4 years then we sold it . still its running in that bat

A battery which is properly charged & discharged every six months will last atleast 4 Years.

Anything above years is your luck!

A battery which is properly charged & discharged every six months will last atleast 4 Years.

Anything above years is your luck!
What exactly is this process of charging and discharging?
First time I heard of it ... but if it is going to increase my battery life, I am all for it!!!

A battery unused is always at risk!

So charging the battery means, make sure you charge it every six months!

Discharging ? very simple! Drain the battery in regular interbals, make use of AC, lights & other electricals.

I know few people who never take their car or drive in nights, or with AC.

All those batteries will not last more than 3 years :)

Yes RSM, It does get charged, but not as maunal charging which they do in service stations!

And when engine is on, only few electricals will be used, which consumes minimal power. But horn, lights, neons & AC will discharge more power.

A battery unused is always at risk!

So charging the battery means, make sure you charge it every six months!

Discharging ? very simple! Drain the battery in regular interbals, make use of AC, lights & other electricals.

I know few people who never take their car or drive in nights, or with AC.

All those batteries will not last more than 3 years :)
OK, Not a workshop process then ... I think I run the car a bit too often for it to get fully discharged anyways!!

It need not be a workshop process!

Those who dont use car can try this! Just switch on the cabin light for one night (10Hrs). This will discharge your battery!

Next day morning, take the car for some long drive. say atleast 100kms, This will help you charge the battery!!

This is what I do often :-)

It need not be a workshop process!

Those who dont use car can try this! Just switch on the cabin light for one night (10Hrs). This will discharge your battery!

Next day morning, take the car for some long drive. say atleast 100kms, This will help you charge the battery!!

This is what I do often :-)
Well, I have done 26.5 K in 19 months, so I guess the battery has not had the opportunity to get a rest!!

I guess it has to do with the fact that I stay very close to the Mumbai - Pune expressway ... the early days saw me set the alarm, get up at 0400 hrs, and drive past the Ghat Section and get back, just for the thrill of driving.
Then again the huge selection of hill roads and coastal stretches if you have a yen for the drive.
Would have done a lot more if not for my bike [:)] which gets its fair share of time, and an accident which saw me sidelined for 4 months or so.

Last edited:
Man just 3000km in 1.2 years!! I have completed 6000km in 2 months!!

But it maybe because you travel to work in bus!![:)]

BTW good to see so many useful points coming out! Never knew of these before! But for my running i think it will get charged and discharged automatically!!

Top Bottom