How Maruti's iCats System Works?

Thread Starter #3
I know it is a security feature and offers central locking. Other than that, what is on offer? Is there some thing like security keys or detecting the original key etc..?

Maruti cars are equipped with iCAT - Intelligent Computerized Anti-theft System - essentially a device which communicates with the ECU (electronic Control Unit) of the car to disable the ignition and render the car immobilized if you fail to use the factory supplied keys. Your car keys use a RFID (Radio Frequency Identification Device) which transmits a unique factory assigned code to the key fob of the car which in turn, enables the ECU. Any other key or locally made key will not have the RFID and the unique code which will disable the ECU.

here-s the link - Maruti cars Security Device ICAT : intelligent computerized anti-theft system

Last edited:
Thanks Neil! So it confirms the use of RFID.
Cant say. Here's what i found on one of the forums -

My friend brought new maruti zen estilo car. Maruti says that lock is fitted with i-cat system & no one can start ur vechile without proper key.(roadside keymaker can open door by duplicate key but cannot start car).
But my car is started by duplicated key made by local roadside key maker.
Can he file case against maruti udyog?.
here's the link - http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/35432-maruti-car-i-cat-lock-system.html

Last edited:
I think ICats is nothing but an immobiliser. You need to use the code embedded key to start the engine, else the ECU wont let the engine to start/ will immobilise the car once it was started.

Hi ..can any one tell me what are the different features in Maruthi Swift Icat lock..
for Eg. If you press the unlock button for 3 Secs ..the Reverse horn gets Silent.
Like this wat are the other options in the Icat Car lock,...

Then how come the duplicate key managed to start the car as Niel quoted! Is there a bug in the system :stupid:
A service person once said (MASS), if you accidentally break the original iCTAS key make a duplicate (as the factory one costs much more ) and keep the broken piece also in the key chain, then the car won't show any trouble. i haven't testes it i don't know anything about it. just sharing what he said.

Sad to see no further discussion on this interesting topic?

I would like to ask is Central Locking required to be installed if iCats deliver what it promises except for allowing one a Keyless Entry?

Top Bottom