How Hard Is It for a Beginner To Learn Bike’s Gearshift Pattern?

Thread Starter #1
I am 5.5' tall and weigh around 50KG and hence looking for light weight bike with good mileage. I have decided to go with Honda Dream Yuga...

I have ZERO driving experience when it comes to geared bike. However, I can ride Activa comfortably.

This is my 1st bike. How hard is it to learn gear pattern for an Activa user? i cant risk to learn gear shift on my friends bike. So i thought of buying this and learn on it :) Is it a good decision ?

Any tips or any clear instructions on safely and smoothly shifting gears on bike is highly appreciated.

Re: How Hard Is It for a Beginner To Learn Bike’s Gearshift Pattern?

I am 5.5' tall and weigh around 50KG and hence looking for light weight bike with good mileage. I have decided to go with Honda Dream Yuga...
I have ZERO driving experience when it comes to geared bike. However, I can ride Activa comfortably.

This is my 1st bike. How hard is it to learn gear pattern for an Activa user? i cant risk to learn gear shift on my friends bike. So i thought of buying this and learn on it :) Is it a good decision ?

Any tips or any clear instructions on safely and smoothly shifting gears on bike is highly appreciated.
Congrats for Dream Yuga in advance !

If you know how to ride an AT Scooter (Activa) you are almost there, all you've to do is pull in Clutch , plonk 1st gear , give a little Accelerator and start engaging clutch slowly. That's it .

Put your bike on Main stand , sit on it and Practice gear pattern in Up shifts and Downshifts for some time(All Back N-1-2-3-4) , soon you will get used to it and shifting gears this will be your 2nd nature . Also try to understand the clutch cable play, unlike cars when you move your handle fully to the (lock to lock) Left or Right cable will develop slight play or it will become little tight , So practice U turns also.

For the last question: I feel its ok to learn Riding on brand new bike . But i will not recommend it for many reasons. If your friends bike is available for you try and practice on it , Since you already know balancing ka funda it will take max 10-20kms to get used for Geared Vehicle. Don't Over riv your engine in first 1000kms and try to ride below 5000Rpm . If you don't have tacho meter then stay between 35-45kmph for first 1000kms .

Thread Starter #3

So here is how it is done... confirm it please.

1. Once bike is in neutral , pull in clutch & and then shift to 1st gear. Then accelerate a little and then release the clutch slowly.
Now i will reach say 15-20 kmph speed on 1st gear...Now do same to shift to 2nd gear....right ?

2. And if i am already in 3rd gear and riding with say 50-60 kmph then what is the ideal and safe way to slow down the bike ?

So here is how it is done... confirm it please.

1. Once bike is in neutral , pull in clutch & and then shift to 1st gear. Then accelerate a little and then release the clutch slowly.
Now i will reach say 15-20 kmph speed on 1st gearr...Now do same to shift to 2nd gear....right ?

2. And if i am already in 3rd gear and riding with say 50-60 kmph then what is the ideal and safe way to slow down the bike ?
Yes the technique is correct but speed figures are all wrong . As i said once you reach 10kmph then put 2nd gear and do the same .

2. Say you are riding 50-60kmph in top(4th gear) and if you have enough time to slow down without applying brakes , wait till your speed drops to 30-35kmph then Downshift to 3rd ...then wait for speed to drop till 20-15kmph ..then shift down to 2nd and then when you are about to Stop downshift to 1st.

If you are using Brake you should simultaneously downshifts gear [:)] . Just in case you miss a gear or downshift too quickly rear wheel will get locked , don't panic and Pull in clutch (diss-engage) as soon as you hear/feel rear tire, skidding , and then shift to appropriate gear . Also try not to give too much inputs on handle If you end up locking wheels , this will unsettle bike . Stay up and go straight . Once rear wheel is rolling/spinnig again then you can apply brake.

Top Bottom