How Do You Wax / Polish Your Car?

How do you Wax/Polish you Car

• Total voters
Can I apply wax on plastic bumper of my car? I have hyundai xcent.
Yes! Wax is just a protective layer and shouldn't be an issue with any surface. If you want to be certain, though, you can test it on an inconspicuous area first.

Interestingly enough, I've even experimented with using Wax on vehicle windows and my laptop! [lol]

Hi I have just bought an XUV 500 metallic silver. I want to try the 9H-LDC Pro coating on my car. Has any one used it? Is it what it is claimed to be? How much does it cost and are there similar products in the Indian Market?

I apply wax by hand using applicator pad. I have a Verna 2016 1.6vtvt S variant silver colour. I am currently using Vista high shine wax and thinking of switching over to Chemical Guys White Light once I finish off my current one.

I use 3 MF cloths, 3rd one just as insurance.

At first,
-rinse my car with water (low pressure).
-wash with 3M shampoo.
-rinse again (high pressure).
-Clean using MF towel.
-apply wax & sealant.

Hi I have just bought an XUV 500 metallic silver. I want to try the 9H-LDC Pro coating on my car. Has any one used it? Is it what it is claimed to be? How much does it cost and are there similar products in the Indian Market?
It does give super gloss effect, but i have seen it only on luxury / expensive / supercars /superbikes. They have applied like 3-5 layers of coating. As per my knowledge, about just 30ml costs around 4K-5K. And coating stays around like a 2 years or more depending on number of layers.

It's gloss is almost as same as chemical guys white light. But this wax wears out within 6 months, but it's relatively cheap (900 INR).

If you have decided to get a 9H coating, get it from an official and certified dealer as they provide warranty on it. ( official link : Ceramic Pro India - Premium Car Coating & Paint Protection )

Any suggestion for a good wax around ~rs 1.5k ? The cheaper waxes i have used till now dont last more than a few weeks thanks to the excess dust in ncr.

To add to that, another question. Whats the correct way to apply wax?

I usually apply a few dabs of paste wax as if it was cold cream, then go about spreading with a foam pad. But these two previous times i noticed that most of the wax was actually going into the foam pad, so i just went at it with my hands. After a few minutes, i wiped off with MF cloth. A couple of times i used the cheap chinese polishing machine i have as well. However with turtle wax, it began to dry up even before i got back from coating the next panel. Neither hand application nor machine seems to improve gloss in any way

Ameyam

I usually apply a few dabs of paste wax as if it was cold cream, then go about spreading with a foam pad. But these two previous times i noticed that most of the wax was actually going into the foam pad, so i just went at it with my hands. After a few minutes, i wiped off with MF cloth. A couple of times i used the cheap chinese polishing machine i have as well. However with turtle wax, it began to dry up even before i got back from coating the next panel. Neither hand application nor machine seems to improve gloss in any way

Ameyam
you are supposed to let the wax dry up before wiping it off. Yes some wax will go inside foam pad but its unavoidable. On washed and then dried off car apply the wax on 1-3 panels depending on your speed. then once the wax starts looking hazy you gotta buff it off with a microfibre. If you do not let the wax set before buffing it will not have any effect. In summers now the wax will dry faster so you gotta be ready else it gets quite hard and needs a lotta effort to buff. Best to apply 2-3 coats of wax.

you are supposed to let the wax dry up before wiping it off. Yes some wax will go inside foam pad but its unavoidable. On washed and then dried off car apply the wax on 1-3 panels depending on your speed. then once the wax starts looking hazy you gotta buff it off with a microfibre. If you do not let the wax set before buffing it will not have any effect. In summers now the wax will dry faster so you gotta be ready else it gets quite hard and needs a lotta effort to buff. Best to apply 2-3 coats of wax.
Thing is, turtle wax balls up if you try to buff once it hazes over. 3m wax falls off as a powder

Ameyam

Thing is, turtle wax balls up if you try to buff once it hazes over. 3m wax falls off as a powder

Ameyam
I use turtle wax hard shell wax too and have no issues when buffing with a microfibre. the cloth does not let any residue stay. Buffs off easily compared to a few other ones i have tried like waxpol and one collinite i tried once.

Actually, what balling up is the wax, not lift off the cloth. You know, like when you rub the resin thats left behind after removing stickers off stuff and the residue forms small balls (for the lack of a better way to put it)?
Ameyam

Actually, what balling up is the wax, not lift off the cloth. You know, like when you rub the resin thats left behind after removing stickers off stuff and the residue forms small balls (for the lack of a better way to put it)?
Ameyam
I dont seem to be encountering these sticky tiny wax balls.just normal wax dust that gets off when buffing

I use Vista car polish (liquid)
I apply it onto a plastic bag (don't use a cloth or a sponge as it absorbs the polish) and then spread it on a panel.
After a minute, I rub it with a cloth.

All this is done after I wash the car.

I dont seem to be encountering these sticky tiny wax balls.just normal wax dust that gets off when buffing
+1 to this. I've been using Turtle Wax Hard Shell Shine (paste and liquid) for 6+ years on multiple paint finishes without this issue.

Ameyam
Well, the best way to apply wax is to get rid of those foam pads, they are far too aggressive for wax application. Simply put, their roughness removes a lot of wax during application, before it gets the chance to set. Don't even get me started on using an orbital polisher for wax [lol].

The best way to apply wax is either with clean hands or nitrile gloves (allows you to feel where there is/isn't a layer of wax) and massage a thin layer of wax onto the paint, following the body lines. It should become hazy/flaky relatively quickly, at which point gently remove it with a clean MF cloth. The surface should be left glassy and smooth (gloves should slide easily). If there are patches, you can apply another layer on top (it'll only stick where there's no wax).

I use Vista car polish (liquid)
I apply it onto a plastic bag (don't use a cloth or a sponge as it absorbs the polish) and then spread it on a panel.
After a minute, I rub it with a cloth.

All this is done after I wash the car.
I'd like to point out something key - polish and wax are NOT the same thing. Polish is a fine abrasive that removes a layer of clearcoat to create a smooth surface, using it regularly will ruin your paint in the long-run as there will be little/no clearcoat left. Wax is a clear protective layer you apply to protect your paint, while increasing gloss.

You should not be rubbing polish when it is dry. The abrasive particles coagulate and will be far more aggressive to your paint. Honestly, you shouldn't let polish dry on your car in the first place.

A plastic bag is likely the worst applicator material, it is far too non-compliant and will very easily scratch up your paint. If you want to avoid the (negligible) absorption of cloth, use a pair of Nitrile/Latex gloves.

Finally, you should wash the car thoroughly before doing any paint work (polish/wax/sealant/etc.), otherwise you will just be carrying dirt around the paint and creating scratches.

Any suggestion for a good wax around ~rs 1.5k ? The cheaper waxes i have used till now dont last more than a few weeks thanks to the excess dust in ncr.
I suggest chemical guys. I used Chemical Guys Deep Reflections XP on my car months ago and it's still has shiny-wet look even though it is covered with thin layer of dust.

I usually apply a few dabs of paste wax as if it was cold cream, then go about spreading with a foam pad. But these two previous times i noticed that most of the wax was actually going into the foam pad, so i just went at it with my hands.

Ameyam
To bring out a wet shiny look in your car, you need to apply some glaze before waxing. Wax is just like a preserving. Best solution is to get a glaze + wax compound [eg: Chemical Guys deep reflections xp or whitelight or blacklight]

Some wax go into foam pad irrespective of its cost/make. It all comes down to porosity/absorption rate of that foam pad. I always use hand application method only.
I apply wax using hand with help of application pad. Put small amount of wax on application pad, then few dabs on surface then spreading it in linear motion. Wait for the recommended time by company then buff it off with MF cloth in circular motion.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
I felt that wax is better applied by hands.
And by hands i mean bare palms. No applicators or sponges.

Just take a dab in your palm like you would a cold cream, And smear a thin layer (Not on your face!, on the car I said). I feel that the hand adjusts far well to the contours & Curves of the car rather than any sponge or machine. This is evident especially when you're waxing a complicated part like headlight or ORVM.

Top Bottom