How Do You Hold the Steering - One Hand or Two Hands?

I learned driving on my own and since then have driven 90k kms only with one hand on steering, in city and highways, at days and nights.
Touched 140 kmph once, during day time. 80-95 is my normal speed.

My trainer has thought me to hold the steering in 9-3 or 10-2 position. Also, right hand should be used from 0 degree to 180 degree and left hand for 180 degree to 360 degree so that while turning, hands do not get locked.

My trainer has thought me to hold the steering in 9-3 or 10-2 position. Also, right hand should be used from 0 degree to 180 degree and left hand for 180 degree to 360 degree so that while turning, hands do not get locked.
Its right way to hold the steering.

Even when I was learning driving 6-7 years back, I remember that my trainer also taught me not to let cross hands while turning and even he taught me to turn the steering with both hands by turning 15-30 degree each time so hands don't cross while I take bigger turns.

But when we get used of car driving after driving for a long time, our mind remembers each and every thing like when and how to use steering, clutch, brake, accelerator, gears, indicators, flash etc. Its just matter of practice.

So it i advisable to new learners that don't let yourself fall in wrong practice while you start learning, becasue after it becomes your habit, it get hard to correct it.

It's always advisable to hold the steering with both Hands[drive]
While changing gears, or something else, 1 hand can be taken off. but we must ensure that, steering is held with both hands for better safety and control.

Some times on highway when road is free, I drive with one hand on Steering's lower portion(6 o clock). But that's only to give some rest to my Arms/shoulders. Then I get back to same old position of 10-2 or 10-10:10 .

Top Bottom