How Do You Hold the Steering - One Hand or Two Hands?

Thread Starter #16
And how about the quick sharp turns ? I personally feel that using two hands makes the turning process slow, while moving with one hand and palm makes it quite fast.

Hand locking is what must be learnt during the driving lessons.
Yeah I agree. All that starts well; ends well in driving. Initial few days of one's driving has to be carefully nurtured in order to get the right practices. My wife also had the same hand locking issue while negotiating a U turn. Gradually, made her moving both the hands in sync and according to the situation. Now that 'locking' confusion is out of her mind. She finds it comfortable now to use both the hand in corners and U turns. It comes naturally through practice. So please practice right since beginning. Later, its always difficult to unlearn. Especially in driving. ( for example even after a year + driving; my wife cant drive with slippers on whic that driving school folks recommended !!!

Thread Starter #18
Okey, now I need to know how do I take U turn when holding with both hands. While taking turn, should my both hands remain at its exact position (9,3 or 10,2) or I would push with one hands and pull with another, or once a hand reaches at 12 position, i take it back to 3 and !! or what ?

IF any one can put a video for how to do a U turn that would be a great help.

Last edited:
Okey, now I need to know how do I take U turn when holding with both hands. While taking turn, should my both hands remain at its exact position (9,3 or 10,2) or I would push with one hands and pull with another, or once a hand reaches at 12 position, i take it back to 3 and !! or what ?

IF any one can put a video for how to do a U turn that would be a great help.
You will have to use both the hands especially in U turns.

Forget that 3 O clock while making U turn, you must ensure that the both hands are in opposite (exactly diagonal) direction while negotiating U turn.

And you must also ensure that according to speeds you must be in correct gear.

For example when there is enough momentum if you are in 3rd gear and you are on right lane, you must downshift to 2nd gear.

The clutch play , also plays an important role ensuring that car is not stalled.

And also watch the divider while taking U turn.

On this learning phase drive daily in less traffic, then slowly start merging with more traffic or busy places, with a navigator or helper on left seat to waive hands or to guide you during initial learning days.

Dont forget L board at the Front and rear.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #21
You will have to use both the hands especially in U turns.

Forget that 3 O clock while making U turn, you must ensure that the both hands are in opposite (exactly diagonal) direction while negotiating U turn.

And you must also ensure that according to speeds you must be in correct gear.

For example when there is enough momentum if you are in 3rd gear and you are on right lane, you must downshift to 2nd gear.

The clutch play , also plays an important role ensuring that car is not stalled.

And also watch the divider while taking U turn.

On this learning phase drive daily in less traffic, then slowly start merging with more traffic or busy places, with a navigator or helper on left seat to waive hands or to guide you during initial learning days.

Dont forget L board at the Front and rear.
The post is useful but doesn't answer my question..

both hands are in opposite (exactly diagonal)
Does that mean, both hands move simultaneously and always remain opposite to each other ! (For example, while taking right turn, the right hand would be around at 6 and left hand at 12 !!)

I just got a video here How to turn your steering wheel correctly - YouTube

The post is useful but doesn't answer my question..

Does that mean, both hands move simultaneously and always remain opposite to each other ! (For example, while taking right turn, the right hand would be around at 6 and left hand at 12 !!)
Its Ok my post didn't answer your query, no matter how much theory you read, its practical knowledge that helps you achieving.

Good to know if you have learnt new things, Just implement it.

Well,its only the 10:10(which you call 10 2) style in which I catch the steering and if its not possible then its 8:45(9 3 style),actually I keep my seat quite back so my hands rest on my wheel itself.
About the U turns etc,its only one hand palm for me that time,fast and correct inputs are achieved with that.

I always grip the wheel with both hands and in the 9-3 position. I also sit close to the steering, hands bent at the elbows, Legs also slightly bent at the knees. The 9-3 position is the one that provides more leverage and this is the position racers and rally drivers follow.

You should not rest one hand on the gear stick unless you need to shift. That is, the left hand should only be taken off the wheel when you need to shift. Once you shifted gears, Get the hand back on the steering wheel.

Take a look at some videos to get a more clear picture(I've also put the link of a rally driver at work on the steering wheel to show how the 9-3 works at full advantage.) :

Video Driving Lesson 2 Push-Pull Steering - www.2pass.co.uk - YouTube

Hand-over-hand Steering Method - YouTube

Ari Vatanen onboard Isle of Man - YouTube

Also imagine what can happen if the rally driver rests his hand on the gear shifter for long. He needs to shift more often than a normal road car driver and a normal driver never needs to shift gears so ever consistently. So I hope you get the picture about the need to keep both hands on the wheel. Does not matter if you are driving slow or fast but you always need to keep both hands on the wheel. And if the instructor has told you to keep one the gear shifter, Then he needs help.

How ever hard do i try to recollect , i am not able to get how i drive . haha

well i have 2 hands for sure , must be 2 hands on steering wheel ,

on U-turn , i turn like the way old amby's were used , like holding the lower part of steering by turning the hands and one hand after other.

well on modern cars on turn test - obvious that i am testing them for the garage trials and its just one hand at faster speed. - am i rotating or the eps?? :tongue:

Always 2 hands on the steering wheel, unless I'm shifting gears.Some people keep one hand on the gear stick in city driving, its bad for the gear box in the long run.

Holding steering with both hands is good because with both hands you can balance your car easily during turn of roads, so I advice that you should hold the steering with both hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always grip the wheel with both hands and in the 9-3 position. I also sit close to the steering, hands bent at the elbows, Legs also slightly bent at the knees. The 9-3 position is the one that provides more leverage and this is the position racers and rally drivers follow.

Also imagine what can happen if the rally driver rests his hand on the gear shifter for long. He needs to shift more often than a normal road car driver and a normal driver never needs to shift gears so ever consistently. So I hope you get the picture about the need to keep both hands on the wheel. Does not matter if you are driving slow or fast but you always need to keep both hands on the wheel. And if the instructor has told you to keep one the gear shifter, Then he needs help.
I totally agree with you,except i dont sit close to steering wheel but my arms still have travel as my arms are long! I follow the 9 & 3 position ,only time i am all relaxed with my one hand fiddling with the stereo or one hand near gear(never on it) is in a traffic jam,certain drivers who turn back to reverse instead of using mirrors also go one hand while reversing.

Another thing i do when on full throttle & razor steering is needed is gripping the steering wheel tightly ,it makes you react inch precise for any understeer or oversteer,its also basic rule taught to Finnish Rally Drivers.

As for pulling a U turn or tight parking i use two hands,with hand movement pattern some what like climbing a rope.

@jalex I agree with your two hands on steering always with 9-3 position.
But two things really worry me is, don't sit near to steering. Always you need to sit in such a way that your wrist should touch the steering wheel from your sitting position. How do I put it in better sentence, anything in your arm before wrist section shouldnot reach wheel from your sitting position. You need to maintain this distance for safety.
The other thing is I never cross my hands while turning. They say it will break your hand, when you cross your hand and airbag is deployed.

Correct me, if I'm worng. But I agree with you, that we should have both of our hand on wheel, unless we change gears.

Drive safe!

My trainer taught me to hold the steering with one hand only and never use the second hand.

I wonder how do others hold the steering ? one hand only, two hands, or occasionally two hands ?
WTH?? ask your trainer to get his training done man. hold steering with 2 hands only!
2 hands on highway driving & 1 hand for city traffic condition
Actually your left hand should be either on the gear or wheel, nowhere else. Whenever changing gears it should be on the gear and after it is done it goes back on the wheel.

Just for argument sake, if your wheel alignment is correct, wheels balanced, tyre pressure correct, the weights (people & luggage) are more or less equally balanced (L&R) and you are on a straight road, you need not hold the wheel at all.

Top Bottom