How Do You Hire and Train a Chauffeur?

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I am planning to appoint a driver from Oct'11 onwards. His primary role would be to leave children at school and bring them back.

1. What all verifications are required to check and confirm authenticity of the person ?
  2. How to approach police for the verification and how exactly they are going to check the back ground of the person ?

As stated above, his role would be to leave and bring children from school. So his working hours during morning time would be 2 hours max (between 07:30 to 09:30hrs) and afternoon (13:30 to 14:30hrs) five days a week in Delhi.

How much compensation or salary should be OK considering the working hours / days ?

Re: Appointing a driver for kids, need assistance on HOW to appoint

Ask the driver himself to get a noc from his area police station.

inform your area police station with that documents and submit the car details he is going to drive esp the timings etc.

and generally the compensation here is 6000/- permonth and 30/- perday.

Thread Starter #3

ilango[speed thirst];103214 said:
Ask the driver himself to get a noc from his area police station.

inform your area police station with that documents and submit the car details he is going to drive esp the timings etc.

and generally the compensation here is 6000/- permonth and 30/- perday.
Ilango is it Rs.300/- per day or Rs. 30/-?

Secondly, what if I want to approach police for verification to avoid any malpractice at driver's end ?

Driver has given me a copy of his driving license and I took picture of his driving license with photocopy of license on my cell.

Please help.

Ilango is it Rs.300/- per day or Rs. 30/-?

Secondly, what if I want to approach police for verification to avoid any malpractice at driver's end ?

Driver has given me a copy of his driving license and I took picture of his driving license with photocopy of license on my cell.

Please help.
Its 6000 plus 30/- per day. just for his tea/busfare like that etc. its a kind of practice here.

To be very safe ask the driver himself to get a noc from his area police station

Re: Appointing a New Driver – Things to Must Keep in Mind?

well by IMHO if theres any driver who works in your neighbour and has time its best to appoint him..because its very difficult to find reliable driver nowdays!!

Thread Starter #6

well by IMHO if theres any driver who works in your neighbour and has time its best to appoint him..because its very difficult to find reliable driver nowdays!!
True.

I have appointed one and he is running a shop near by (2-3kms) and stays near by too. Just because he has a shop and staying near by is the ideal candidate for me. I discussed with few friends and they confirmed that I need to give an application at the police station or I would get a form for verification from the police station and then they will perform some verification (God knows whether they will or not).

But is this the correct way getting verification done ? Any experienced person here ![confused]

I am also planning to install a vehicle tracking system in my car to be little safe then sorry. It is going to cost me Rs. 14500/-, which includes 12 months member ship as well. I saw the demo online and cars were easily traceable online and it has a cool feature that I can stop the car online [lol]. Would update once installation completes by coming Saturday (hopefully.)

Shailinder, Its a good idea to install the vehicle tracking system , but do not share this information with your driver. You can virtually keep a watch on the car esp since it would be used to ferry the kids. (Do share the tracking system details ,as i also ride in back seat nowadays)

Verification should be done diligently by the police.However I have been hearing often how it can be "managed".

Thread Starter #8

@ carabiker, I am not going to share the details with him of course. But yes to ensure peace of mind it is required by me more than anyone else.

I would surely, share the details once installation would be complete.

How Do You Train Your Chauffeur?

Chauffeur !!!

Since most of us are enthusiasts, we dread to even think about anyone else driving our cars. Many of us are self drivers, maybe most of us. But we have to accept that many TAians do have a chauffeur. Maybe for their second car or for their wives car or maybe for their 'family' car.

Finding a good driver is a pain. Now, let us concentrate on the driving skills and car care skills of our chauffeurs. I know many of us, including your's truly, is very finicky about good driving as well as maintaining our rides in pristine condition.

I rarely allow anyone else to touch my Punto. But our Innova is always driven by our chauffeur. We had a very very good guy before but unfortunately, he is not with us anymore. The new chap is kind of okay. He is careful while driving, observes lane discipline & drives at a decent speed always. BUT (!!), he cares a zilch about maintaining the car... I dont even know when was the last time he opened the bonnet to see what's lying inside! I am not too sure that he knows how to change a flat tire. Also, he is not too confident in thick traffic. Most importantly, he just drives the car for his living, he has no love or passion for any car, unlike my previous chauffeur.

What did I do to train him -

1) He used to hold the car on half clutch on slopes and in traffic. I explained him the cons of that & regularly advised him to avoid doing that.

2) I remind him to press the clutch while starting the car, but he always forgets!

3) He never switches OFF the AC fan while turning OFF the car. I always have to remind him to do that.

4) He does not avoid potholes, always always crashes into it. Also, on little rough surfaces, he does not slow down the car enough. This abuse has led to some rattling in my car. I dont know how to make him understand about this.

5) When he drives the car, it is never a smooth ride. What I mean is, his braking and acceleration is not smooth. I dont know how to improve that.

6) Most importantly, I want to inject some passion in him, for cars. So that he takes care of our car. I am clueless about that.

So how do you train your chauffeurs?

Last edited by a moderator:

zengetz

Suspended
Re: How do you train your chauffeur?

One more point to add to the gyaan that needs to be given.

Important for Turbo equipped engines - Keep engine on idle for 60-90 secs before drive and also before shut-down. Some drivers give a full rev before shut down, this can seriously damage the turbo.

Going by the problems you are facing I'd ask you just one simple question:
How much you are paying this guy?

Answer this question and then I'll mention my point.
Still,by reading your situation,I'd say that "I am lucky to get a great chauffy('sophie uncle' as I call him):biggrin:..

Dos and Don'ts, gyaan and thoda sa tameez bhi (road manners).

Chauffeurs, majority of them tend to honk.

When driving alone they tend to show off their driving skills and act like a hooligan trying to get some attention of a women walking/driving around.

And they tend to smoke beedis inside the car, that odor is awful and takes a very long time to go away.

And when they wait for the owner of the car to come, they doze off inside the car with the AC switched ON at full blast.

Re: How Do You Train Your Chauffeur?

Had two bad experiences with our previous car. From then on No chaffeurs. Travelling has been peaceful since then.

my new driver for the Xylo is a MADMAN!!!
he drives Xylo like a hatchback! keeps on darting from corner to corner. Dad keeps on scolding him and to a certain extent he has improved a lot atleast when Dad is in the car. When he is taking someone else and dad is not there, he changes back to his idiotic style of driving. im surprised my dad hasnt sacked him yet. also he listens to his music which is crappy and doesnt want anybody else to play their music. too much jerking. he is too hard on the brakes and accelerator. we are constantly moving around the seat. and he doesnt care for the car much. He washes it like once in 2-3 weeks and that is also my dad has to tell him to do so. His name is Laxman.

on asking why he drives like this, he says that he used to drive for a netaji before thats why.

my other driver though is an angel in disguise. boy he is a great guy. drives like a pro. he can handle all the traffic well and yet not be too rough. He drove the Xylo for my dad initially and he was like perfect. now he handles my uncle's manza and also he is just superb. he has a passion for cars and his style says so. his passion shows. he respects the machine. his driving style is soo efficient. i learn from him whenever i have any doubts in techniques of driving a manual car. This other driver is Sunil.

Spot on, this is one of the biggest problems for people like us, who can never see our rides abused by driver. I also went through this dilemma last year when i used to audition drivers on daily basis. I must admit the guys who used to come in for the job were mostly ignorant about the features of the car. The parking sensor of our Civic used to disturb one of the participant.

Finally the guy we selected was great at driving but bad at maintainance. On eday i asked him to clean off the accumulated dirt from the hood, and boy, the guy took a 6mm tmt bar and took off the dirt, ofcourse along with the paint, and the same day we got him fired.

Right now, the drivers (2, who work shift wise) we have are great at their work. Paid about 5.5k each and they do everything, an ideal driver should.

SO to conclude i would just say, look for another guy. Theres no way you can make them work with dedication & passion.

Top Bottom