How Do You Drive On Inclined Steeps?

Strange observations about using handbrakes. Esteemed members of the forum i remind you that the various manufacturers who say that using hand brake in steep stopes is ok are not daft ,they know what they are saying.

Last edited:
Most members in this forum should be seasoned drivers so they will use their tried and tested methods but the newbies may get confused and may use this so called diagonal foot technique which may be working for some but it's not recommended any where else in the world. I have been driving for almost 15 years now and I am a planter by profession and have seen a lot of steep inclines,ghats etc .

Most manufacturers specifically say that if the clutch when released to the point of engagement fails totally as a brake against the car rolling back then the hand brake should be used. I drive a tata safari and has taken the car from stops in steep inclines using the half clutch technique and very rarely had to rely on hand brakes.

Using the diagonal technique on steep inclines with high traffic density gives absolutely no control over the brakes, when bumper to bumper traffic is present it is outright dangerous and asking for trouble.

If any body is new to driving please reconsider your faith in the diagonal technique and resort to orthodox driving practices proposed by the manufactures and safety bodies around the world and don't be scared to use the handbrakes they are designed to keep the car from rolling back whether the engine is on or not[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom