How Do You Drive On Inclined Steeps?

Maruti is giving out similar wrong informations at many places.
Looks Like Maruti Has Lost It [lol]

thanks AHI. regarding downhill drive, according to the manual of my alto, we need to engage the reverse gear and then let the car roll downhill and if we need to control the speed then brakes should be. used. i don't know how far is this true.
This is wrong. Instead in downhill drive keep the car in lower gear ratios.

Even FIAT suggests, On slopes use the parking brake instead of the foot brake. View attachment 939

It doesn't looks to be correct.
Downhill
When driving down hill, try not to apply brakes, but use the engine brake (lower gear). Overuse of footbrake may result in total brake failure.
Vehicles going uphill should be given precedence.
Its completely wrong.

PARKING BRAKE - the name itself says it should be used when you park the vehicle.
This even causes distraction,one hand on steering & one on hand brake,instead keep it on the gear knob to downshift quickly if needed.

Nothing stops the car like the downshifting & braking combination does (Personal Experience) without loosing traction.

Moreover Parking brakes only lock the rear two wheels which may cause loss of traction in high speeds.

Overuse of foot brake may result in total failure - Dont worry,just a warning.Drive in lower gears,use the brake less.

Last edited:
Its the break-clutch-accelerator combination even for me. I never use the handbrake in slopes , use it only while parking.[:)]

Thread Starter #18
Well explained Neil!

Guys, Never Use Parking Breaks while climbing or riding down steeps!

Thats why i asked this question, so that we can correct ourselves.

Looks Like Maruti Has Lost It [lol]

This is wrong. Instead in downhill drive keep the car in lower gear ratios.

Its completely wrong.

PARKING BRAKE - the name itself says it should be used when you park the vehicle.
This even causes distraction,one hand on steering & one on hand brake,instead keep it on the gear knob to downshift quickly if needed.

Nothing stops the car like the downshifting & braking combination does (Personal Experience) without loosing traction.
I agree with you Neil,its similar to what I said.

Overuse of foot brake may result in total failure - Dont worry,just a warning.Drive in lower gears,use the brake less.
I think here my opinion will mismatch yours, as per my personal experience of hillside driving I dont suggest drivers to totally rely on engine braking only rather depend on footbrakes first then next to engine braking.
Reason:-

Suppose you are driving downhill in your car at a speed of 30-35km/h(
I am speaking about driving in hilly regions), if your car is in 2nd gear and you are not touching your brake pedal at all with your left foot,and your right foot is rested on the accelerator slightly pressed to maintain the given speed, if suddenly some hurdles come infront of your car,say a child or a lady or even a uphill vehicle, then you will not get enough time to downshift your gear to 1st gear and apply engine braking.Because , not like plains driving,when you press your clutch to downshift your gear, at that very moment the speed of your car goes on increasing as there will be no brakes applied and gear is not engaged and the car is already moving in downward direction, and at the moment when you engage 1st gear it will be too late.So I suggest you to rest your right foot on brakes, and keep your left foot on alert to engage clutch at any time,the car will roll down the hill at the top speed at which the gear allows it to go and the speed is controlled by the variable application of footbrakes by you,accelerator have no role in that.It is for this reason that vehicles on hilly region have to get their brake pads replaced,very frequently.As soon as you see any hurdle in front,just apply your footbrakes first and then instantaneously engage your clutch to shift down and again drive in the same way maintaining the speed with your brakes.

-----------Next Post-----------
Downhill
When driving down hill, try not to apply brakes, but use the engine brake (lower gear).

I dont agree with you,partially.Use of footbrakes should be accompanied by engine braking as I have mentioned above.

Overuse of footbrake may result in total brake failure.
I agree with you that this may happen, in such emergency cases only engine braking should be given priority as the foot brakes have failed.But there is high risk in that cause as soon as you disengage the gear by pressing the clutch,the speed will increase due to downhill motion, in that emergency situation one take help of parking brakes also,but should be cautious enough not to engage the parking brake hardly,but gradually,which will not let the brakes to lock on the wheels and slow them gradually.

Last edited:
I usually use gears during inclines. I believe excessive use of footbreaks during inclines may lead to break failure due. So it is better to use gears(engine braking) and light foottbrakes in combination.

This is how i do,
In first gear, press clutch and brake pedal in normal manner. Then gradually release the clutch until you feel the change of sound or vibration in the engine and at this stage if you let go off the brake pedal the vehicle shouldn't move. Then you accelerate and proceed. At first you'll feel the engine knocking, but once you practice, you'll manage to do without engine knocking.

In a stop use brake or hand brake to be still

to move forward in hill release the hand brake , but right foot on brake .
engage the gear and slightly leave the clutch , a point will cum where the car tend to move slightly . at that place remove the brake and pressaccelerator . simple !

Except that, i don't use my heel anywhere. Mine is kind of similar to Ilango.
Well,on that note I would like to know from you and Ilango that on how much degree of inclination have you driven or usually drive??

Because practically you cant practice the way Ilango mentioned on inclination like 60-65 degrees or even less also for an uphill drive, for downhill drive it is possible.

Reason:-

Suppose your vehicle is on a slope of 60-65 degrees or anything around it,if you start your vehicle and keep your left foot on clutch and your right foot totally on brake,both totally pressed down,in 1st gear, then as you release the clutch gradually and as soon as you feel the change in sound of the engine at which the engine is going to turn the gear,at this point if the engine rpm is not sufficient and equal to the threshold rpm required to turn the wheel then the engine will stop with jerk,therefore you have to go by as I said before that you have to press the accelerator with your right heel and press the brake with your right toe.This way you can maintain the required rpm for the gear and move the car smoothly.

Moreover suppose if the slope is not too steep at which higher rpm is not required then also it is risky in case of high traffic roads where the vehicle behind you is just a few inches behind, suppose if you rest your right foot totally on brake ,then as Ilango described, if you take your foot totally from the brake and then press the accelerator to move forward then the fraction of time between the release of brake and engage of accelerator will result in either the vehicle will roll a bit backwards until you engage the accelerator and your vehicle may hit the vehicle behind you or your engine may stop due to lack of threshold rpm which is required to turn the wheel.

I hope now my point is clear to you.

Last edited:
Except that, i don't use my heel anywhere. Mine is kind of similar to Ilango.
The "heel tech thing" can be useful when the car is on highly inclined surfaces.

On such surfaces leaving the " clutch half " & then shifting your leg to press the accelerator doesn't help. The car stalls & rolls back.

[/U][/B]Suppose your vehicle is on a slope of 60-65 degrees or anything around it,if you start your vehicle and keep your left foot on clutch and your right foot totally on brake,both totally pressed down,in 1st gear, then as you release the clutch gradually and as soon as you feel the change in sound of the engine at which the engine is going to turn the gear,at this point if the engine rpm is not sufficient and equal to the threshold rpm required to turn the wheel then the engine will stop with jerk,therefore you have to go by as I said before that you have to press the accelerator with your right heel and press the brake with your right toe.This way you can maintain the required rpm for the gear and move the car smoothly.

Moreover suppose if the slope is not too steep at which higher rpm is not required then also it is risky in case of high traffic roads where the vehicle behind you is just a few inches behind, suppose if you rest your right foot totally on brake ,then as Ilango described, if you take your foot totally from the brake and then press the accelerator to move forward then the fraction of time between the release of brake and engage of accelerator will result in either the vehicle will roll a bit backwards until you engage the accelerator and your vehicle may hit the vehicle behind you or your engine may stop due to lack of threshold rpm which is required to turn the wheel.

I hope now my point is clear to you.
The inclination i mention \experience is normal like in fly over and in hill climbing. The point where the car moves forward ,at that point i automatically press accelerator and move forward. I am practiced.

I teach this method to my uncle who is new to driving , Yes the engine stopped with a jerk for him. Regular practice made him good too.

You also need to study the road and car. i mean some times there may be slippage. But that can be controlled easily.

Last edited:
@Illango:Well, I am driving with this driving technique for last 18years,whenever I drive on hills,around 75-80% of the period, mainly on the roads of Mizoram, where there is no valley but all slopes are steep enough, even 70-75 degrees are also present.I have driven Gypsy,Alto,Sx4 and other vehicles there.All other drivers over there drive the same way.

It may be that you didnt faced any problem till now with this driving , but it is not suggested to drive in the same way on hilly regions.If it is just a fly-over or anything like that where slopes are merely 30-35 degrees, the way you drive will not effect the drive much, but in slopes which I have mentioned and I used to drive,your way of drive will be dangerous and will affect alot in heavy traffic or even in freeway drive also.

Check it out practically.

Top Bottom