Hot New Volkswagen Polo 1.2 GT TSi Comes To India

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hot New Volkswagen Polo 1.2 TSi Caught Testing!!

aww. that looks extremely sexy & with 105bhp on tap. It should make the job easy!
Also, would have preferred a MT transmission too [sad]

Last edited:

This is just brilliant,we finally have a small/hatchback car which has a dual clutch (DSG) gearbox!

I know its a petrol but cheapest & smallest car with the Dsg(which is a brilliant automatic) gearbox was the Laura. Now people wanting a small car which you can drive with less stress & find easier parking space is available to the Indian Public.
Faith in the reliability of there(Vw,Skoda) gearboxes has suffered. But i want to reserve my opinion until i take a test drive of this car.

Adding some info in quote about the Dq200 gearbox which was made available in 2007.

Volkswagen has developed a seven-speed version of its DSG gearbox which is used on such exotica as the Bugatti Veyron and the Audi TT. The new seven-speed gearbox, codenamed DQ200, uses a pair of dry clutches in preference to the six-speed version’s twin wet clutches, increasing efficiency and performance over the wet clutch six-speed system. The six-speed DSG gearbox, which was introduced in 2003, uses a pair of clutches submerged in oil. The new seven-speed gearbox adopts a pair of dry, organic bonded friction linings that do not require cooling, making the drivetrain more efficient through the extra ratio and the fact that less power is required for the gear selection and clutch servo system.

For the first time the DSG gearbox has been mounted transversely. Measuring only 369 mm in length and weighing only 79 kg including the dual-mass flywheel the gearbox is remarkably compact. These modest proportions mean it can be applied to models from the Polo right up to the Passat and, in its current form, it is capable of coping with power outputs of up to 170 PS and 184 lbs ft of torque.

In adopting seven-speeds, Volkswagen engineers were able to lower first gear to improve acceleration from a standstill. By contrast seventh gear has been raised to act as an overdrive function making it ideal for motorway driving with the additional effect of raising economy and comfort levels.

The volume of oil contained within the gearbox has also been reduced by 75 per cent. The oil circuits are split into two in an effort to protect the lubrication’s purity. As with a conventional manual gearbox, one of the circuits is used for cooling and lubrication of the gear teeth, the second feeds oil to the gear actuators. Since the clutch does not require cooling the quantity of oil was reduced from seven litres in the six-speed DSG gearbox to only 1.7-litres in the new seven-speed system.

i knew 1,6 failed due to mileage
my colleague has same giving him around 10kms per litre
he wants to sell it sadly no buyers [lol]

Thread Starter #34

Well, after looking at this name 'GT' I am quite sure that a Polo with high capacity diesel is also coming as there were some speculations about some 'Polo GTD', now remove the name Polo and a diesel GT can be called as GTD!! :stupid:

But yes, I am disappointed. For 8.5 lac we are getting a 1.2l TSi motor. C'mon yaar, at least 1.4 was needed. Also instead of a DSG mated to a 1.2 I'd have been happier with a 5 speed manual mated to a 1.4. Eh, very expensive affair it is.

Instead I'll prefer to buy a Liva 1.5 and add stiffer springs to it. I am sure a Liva 1.5 with added performance mods also won't cost as much as a GT will do.

I hope they are not looking at moving it in large numbers. I mean, if that is VW's hopes, I can say for sure that they'll fail. After all, the majority of the customers here are not "Petrol"heads. But to an enthusiast, it will definitely appeal. My friend and I are waiting for the TDs to start so we can go check it out and decide [:)]
I think they already have the earlier polos to look for numbers. These powerful hatches will be like top of the line models which would attract enthusiasts more.

Well, after looking at this name 'GT' I am quite sure that a Polo with high capacity diesel is also coming as there were some speculations about some 'Polo GTD', now remove the name Polo and a diesel GT can be called as GTD!! :stupid:
I am hoping VW brings manual tsi and GTD real soon. Already test models have been spotted for both, so I guess it won't be too long when they launch new models.

But yes, I am disappointed. For 8.5 lac we are getting a 1.2l TSi motor. C'mon yaar, at least 1.4 was needed. Also instead of a DSG mated to a 1.2 I'd have been happier with a 5 speed manual mated to a 1.4. Eh, very expensive affair it is.
I read somewhere that some showrooms have received 1.4 tsi models too!!
But cummon 1.2 tsi is enough for a hatch I suppose.

Thread Starter #36

I read somewhere that some showrooms have received 1.4 tsi models too!!
But cummon 1.2 tsi is enough for a hatch I suppose.
Now that's the news for me. If it is found to be true then I wonder what those beasts would be like to drive.

About the engine, 1.2 is still on the lower side. A 1.4 will give more responsiveness as well as lower turbo lag(it is a TSi engine dear). Above all, what is the fun if the car doesn't feel overengined?

Now that's the news for me. If it is found to be true then I wonder what those beasts would be like to drive.
About the engine, 1.2 is still on the lower side. A 1.4 will give more responsiveness as well as lower turbo lag(it is a TSi engine dear). Above all, what is the fun if the car doesn't feel overengined?
But your 1.4 tsi would be priced even more than 1.2 tsi!

Fun to drive? This 1.2 tsi would definitely be one fun to drive machine looking at the capabilities of existing models.

You would accept that no other hatch can give you a combination of power of 105 bhp with excellent handling, ride quality and of course the build quality, ohh wait- the sexy looks too!!

Amazing catch Rightnow. I quite like the GT badging in the front and rear. Though would have loved if VW was providing the front,rear and side skirtings as stock in this particular model. But Polo will anyways be a looker. Should be an absolute drivers delight IMO. From what i have heard from a VW guy here is that the ex showroom price would be mostly around 7.25lacs. If at all that's true, i would say pricing is spot on given that you get the renowned Tsi turbocharged engine with the DSG gearbox. Let's wait and see for ourselves.

P.S. - Waiting for the 1.6 GTD to launch soon. That surely would tempt me to swap my current 1.2 Tdi.

DQ200 DSG dry clutch gearbox is notoriously know to break down frequently..there is a factory in China which is chunring out these gearboxes in huge numbers and VW is looking for a market..India could be the dumpin ground for it..maybe cos laws are not srtingent here and they will not get penalized for failures!

Hey guys! I got an opportunity to drive the polo tsi for about 30 kms in Mumbai yesterday afternoon! And what an awesome car it is! The engine is so much more refined, and the acceleration is crazy!!! especially when you put the dsg in sport mode. Also the dsg gearbox is pretty fun, you won't even notice it changing gears! Plus during the drive I got an overall average of 11 considering I was driving like my tails on fire in moderate traffic, I think its pretty good. It was a pretty exhilarating experience driving the car! Lucky me!

P.S. - Waiting for the 1.6 GTD to launch soon. That surely would tempt me to swap my current 1.2 Tdi.
Me too waiting for more options.

DQ200 DSG dry clutch gearbox is notoriously know to break down frequently..there is a factory in China which is chunring out these gearboxes in huge numbers and VW is looking for a market..India could be the dumpin ground for it..maybe cos laws are not srtingent here and they will not get penalized for failures!
That's a nice observation but as far as I know, those were the earlier DSG boxes which were reported to be faulty, no the new batches. Anyways, I don't think Indian buyers are that gullible. Also VW already sees India as a bug market, it would be suicidal for them think of 'dumping' tactics with India.

Hey guys! I got an opportunity to drive the polo tsi for about 30 kms in Mumbai yesterday afternoon! And what an awesome car it is!
Have the dealers started giving test drive. Mine has told me that TDs will start anytime after first of May. Can't wait to take it for spin.

That's a nice observation but as far as I know, those were the earlier DSG boxes which were reported to be faulty, no the new batches. Anyways, I don't think Indian buyers are that gullible. Also VW already sees India as a bug market, it would be suicidal for them think of 'dumping' tactics with India.
Dry clutch dq200 DSG has this inherent issue, which some say is because of the heat and since the oil in the unit is just 1.5 lts..it will get 'jerky' in stop and go traffic and eventually break down.
It will be interesting to see if it can survive the mumbai or delhi heat this summer..and any prospective buyers should actually wait for such review which should start coming in the next few months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #43

1.2l engine and above it is the auto gearbox - disappointment it is for me.
I'll opt to wait for a GTD(it sounds mouth watering to me) or a Manual TSi, before that no TD for me.

But yes, if I have to buy one such car then I'll still prefer a Liva 1.5 and get some minor mods done on it o make it dynamically better to match the Polo.

Have the dealers started giving test drive. Mine has told me that TDs will start anytime after first of May. Can't wait to take it for spin.
Actually I work for a particular Volkswagen dealership in Mumbai, so I got an opportunity to drive it as the car had to be transported somewhere.

Also, I've noticed a lot of people are not happy that there's no manual option, but trust me guys, the dsg's brilliant! The gear changes are so quick and smooth. I had a small drag race with a Laura (not sure if it was the petrol or diesel) and came first. The Laura guy was pretty stunned that he got beaten by a polo.[:D]

Dry clutch dq200 DSG has this inherent issue, which some say is because of the heat and since the oil in the unit is just 1.5 lts..it will get 'jerky' in stop and go traffic and eventually break down.
It will be interesting to see if it can survive the mumbai or delhi heat this summer..and any prospective buyers should actually wait for such review which should start coming in the next few months.
Sounds like a risky proposition especially when VW doesn't offer any warranty on the box unlike other countries. I just hope that the new DSG boxes are not that prone to severe conditions like earlier ones were.

But yes, if I have to buy one such car then I'll still prefer a Liva 1.5 and get some minor mods done on it o make it dynamically better to match the Polo.
Why not bro, I will get my tsi auto and you get your liva 1.5 dynamically better re-engineered, and have a quick race (Hypothetically!!)

Also, I've noticed a lot of people are not happy that there's no manual option, but trust me guys, the dsg's brilliant! The gear changes are so quick and smooth. I had a small drag race with a Laura (not sure if it was the petrol or diesel) and came first. The Laura guy was pretty stunned that he got beaten by a polo.[:D]
I am sure that DSG+tsi is an excellent set-up interpreting from the reviews I have read, but the fear of DSG failure still looms over mind of buyers and of course anticipated high price of car my keep buyers away even more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom