Hot New Volkswagen Polo 1.2 GT TSi Comes To India

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMG

Suspended
Re: Hot New Volkswagen Polo 1.2 TSi Caught Testing!!

Never even heard of a 1.6 Diesel in any of the rumours of late.

Thread Starter #17

My dear, there are many such things in the world which you have never heard but they still exist.
BTW, you just heard that.

AMG

Suspended

Sir, the 1.6 is just an illusion, a figment of your imagination. If you happen to think about it over a cup of coffee, you'd conclude that it makes no sense because the Government of India confers a benefit of diesel cars below 1.5 Ltre. And I dont think that the wise people who happen to work at VW would be stupid enough to come up with a 1.6.

Thread Starter #20

Vw were stupid enough to come up with the pheaton,then why not a 1.6 tdi polo?
BTW, it is expected that Polo 1.6 will be priced slightly higher than Polo 1.2(maybe 50k to 1 lac) and hence I find it a good deal overall for diesel performance seekers.
IMHO VW needs a 1.2 TSi and 1.6 TDi in Polo, though it will be a niche segment but still we need some real performance hatches, not the ones which are powerful only on paper but the ones which put down that power on roads too.

Never even heard of a 1.6 Diesel in any of the rumours of late.
Bro, there are speculations on 1.5 or 1.6 diesel on polo. While 1.6 won't give them tax benefits, 1.5 tdi definitely will. The GTD batched polo have been spotted on Indian roads for may be testing purposes. Forget the nomenclature GTD or TPD, who cares about the name, its more about getting better engines options. I am sure if it happens to polo, trend will follow with Skoda fabia too.

SCOOP! VW's Polo 1.6 diesel hot hatch on its way | News | Autocar India

New Volkswagen Polo With 1.5-Litre Diesel Being Tested | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

Volkswagen Polo 1.5 TDI in the works | CarDekho.com

On the contrary I also heard that VW is becoming skeptical of the govt. policies on fuel prices to make up their mind on launch or pricing of the new polo. I cannot locate the link where I read it, but yeah their skepticism isn't hard to believe, quite understandable considering our govt.'s moves.

Vw were stupid enough to come up with the pheaton,then why not a 1.6 tdi polo?
What went wrong with phaeton?

The fact that they invested in the pheaton was a mistake. Good car but failed obviously

India not a priority for new models, investments till 2015: Volkswagen

NEW DELHI: India will not be a priority market for introduction of new models, such as small car Up! and major investments till 2015 as the "business case is not positive", German auto giant Volkswagen said today.

The company, which is currently having VAT refund issues with the government of Maharashtra where it has two manufacturing plant, is undecided on setting up fresh facility required for new models like the Up!.

"India is a possiblility... We are looking at the business case, which is not positive. In connection to the investment we need to do, we are not in the situation to do that," Volkswagen Group Board Member and Executive Vice President Ulrich Hackenberg told reporters here.

When asked why there has been a delay in introducing the Up! in India, he said: "We will need a separate production facility for Up! which is not available at the moment in India. We will need to invest for another plant".

The company's current plans for investment for the Up! is South America, he added.

On other new model launches from the group in India, he said it will depend on how the market develops in future.

"We are looking within the group, not only VW brand, for the segments which are successful all over the world. One big segment, which has volume, is the segment priced lower and a big market for such cars is China," Hackenberg said.

He said the group is conducting a feasibility study in China and India could be the next step.

When asked how long the firm will hold itself from taking any major decision or introducing new models, Volkswagen Group Chief Representative (India) John Chacko said: "Down the line, looking towards 2015, that's the right point of time to make decisions about further."

He said during the interim period, the company will continue to launch more derivatives of models from the existing platforms.

"...we will expand, but (for) new models like Up! or any big investment, those will be decisions that I don't think will be taken between now and 2015," Chacko said.

In January year, VW group had announced plans to invest Rs 2,000 crore for expanding operations in India, only to declare later in May that it had been put on hold as the VAT refund issue with Maharashtra government remained unresolved.

To woo investors, the state government earlier used to refund VAT paid on all vehicles sold by companies, which have factories in the state. It was modified last year with the state government saying it would refund VAT only on vehicles sold within the state.

Specifically asked about Up! Hackenberg insisted that there was no question of putting investments on hold in India as the group had never finalised a plan for it in the first place.

"We never had any decision to do it. It was in the planning and feasibility phase, and the feasibility phase is not closed. In the feasibility, there are so many parameters to consider for a business case," he added.

When asked about plans to set up an engine assembly plant in India, Hackenberg said it will be necessary to be successful in the future in India.

"It's also a question of when we want to invest money for such a plant...If you want to be successful in India, you need to go for almost 100 per cent localisation that means localise engine, gearbox everything...(but) business case is not positive at the moment," he added.

Chacko also said the current macro economic environment was also not conducive for taking investment decisions in India.

"Look at the growth rate of the Indian economy, it went down to prediction of 5 per cent. It was supposed to be and should be 7-8 per cent... It does not directly affect, but it affects our decision making process... Policy framework is not conducive," Chacko said.

He, however, hoped that the engine assembly unit for both petrol and diesel models is likely to come up before 2015.

"We are starting step by step with our vision and it will be with engine assembly, followed by localisation of other parts," Chacko said.

VW group witnessed an overall growth of 10 per cent during last year in India, he added.

Asked if the VW group has lost momentum in India, Chacko said: "The Indian market is very volatile. If you have noticed, the past two years haven't been particularly resounding as far as the growth rate is concerned. That's why the group has grown with the market at about 10 per cent... It's not stagnant, it's growing.

"It has become more and more difficult as far as the business case is concerned...not good to pour more and more money".

Talking about the group's overall performance in the Indian market, Hackenberg said: "There is some space for improvement... It should be possible to bring more cars in the market."

He also said the group, which is present in India through three brands -- Volkswagen, Skoda and Audi, is working on repositioning of the brands.

"It's a question of how different brands are placed against themselves in the market. Skoda has a quite high position. In the group, Skoda is little bit positioned under Volkswagen. So, we are on the way to make a correction," Hackenberg said.

The group is currently investing 100 million euros (over Rs 700 crore) in India in the next two years for upgrading products and facilities. It has two manufacturing facilities at Chakan and Aurangabad in Maharashtra.
source: India not a priority for new models, investments till 2015: Volkswagen - Economic Times

How can a good thing failing be obvious?
Its not obvious,just in pheatons case.Its a good car because of the attention to detail. Obviously failed because its not easy to get the snob value of an Sclass.

Rumour: Volkswagen Polo 1.2 TSI India Launch Next Month.
source: Motoroids via Hormazd Sorabjee on Twitter.

Volkswagen to launch Polo GT on April 25

Volkswagen is all set to launch the Polo with its 1.2-litre TSI petrol engine on April 25, and it will be called the Polo GT.

The 1.2-litre TSI motor will get a potent combination of direct injection and turbocharging, resulting in an impressive power output of 105bhp. VW will also be coupling this engine to its DCQ200 seven-speed DSG transmission. However, it may not come with paddle shifters and there will be no manual transmission on offer.

The Polo GT will come with a body kit similar to the Polo SR edition to visually distinguish itself from other Polo variants. This means that it will get front, side and rear skirts, a rear roof spoiler, chrome exhaust tip and 15-inch alloys. The interiors will get upgraded materials and aluminium inserts.

VW’s first attempt at cracking the petrol hatch segment in India with the Polo 1.6 didn’t go according to plan, but the carmaker wants to have another crack at this segment with this turbocharged Polo. There is no word on pricing yet, but the car’s 1.2-litre engine capacity will allow this power-packed Polo to qualify for a lower rate of excise duty, and subsequently pave the way for VW to give it a competitive price tag.

Volkswagen to launch Polo GT on April 25 | News | Autocar India

The new polo tsi has arrived at showrooms, and I got lucky enough to get some pics. Since the car was at display in showroom, I don't think there is a harm in sharing:

Front gets gti badging.

IMG-20130419-00090.jpg

Rear's got GT and tsi, no polo or Volkswagen
IMG-20130419-00088.jpg

Interiors same as the highline model with DSG box
IMG-20130419-00086.jpg

Sporty pedals. They look damn cool.

IMG-20130419-00085.jpg

Look at DSG engraved on top

IMG-20130419-00087.jpg

Interior

IMG-20130419-00084.jpg

GT tsi scuff plates too.

IMG-20130419-00092.jpg

Looks so classily sporty, simply irresistible. One of the stickers showed GT 1.2 TSI, so I am assuming 105 bhp speculations are right.

As per the SA, Bookings will start in last week of April and the price should come around 8.5 lac (Delhi NCR)!!

So, how does it sound guys?

Last edited:

I hope they are not looking at moving it in large numbers. I mean, if that is VW's hopes, I can say for sure that they'll fail. After all, the majority of the customers here are not "Petrol"heads. But to an enthusiast, it will definitely appeal. My friend and I are waiting for the TDs to start so we can go check it out and decide [:)]

BTW, the car looks hot. This is the Polo which carries the red color without any chinks in the armour. It has the performance to match the color [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom