Hoooonk, Screeeech and Baanngg!!!!!

Some insurance companies insist a copy of an F.I.R or an extract of the G.D entry nowadays for claims above Rupees 10,000/-. And its to ensure that it is not a false claim resulting out of Fraud.
As far as my knowledge goes, when you hit a third party and he is injured,its mandatory that it has to be recorded by the police and that atleast a G.D entry is made. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, you are correct. But that is when you have a thrid party involved. If you have a first class cover, you can do a self claim too. We have done this several time for our Wagon R (it was used by my sister). The biggest claim we made like that was for 2 doors on the left side and rear bumper. Front door and rear bumper were repainted and fixed where as Rear door was replaced. Just to add, we are using Maruti insurance.

Yes, you are correct. But that is when you have a thrid party involved. If you have a first class cover, you can do a self claim too. We have done this several time for our Wagon R (it was used by my sister). The biggest claim we made like that was for 2 doors on the left side and rear bumper. Front door and rear bumper were repainted and fixed where as Rear door was replaced. Just to add, we are using Maruti insurance.
Yes thats right where a third party is not involved, no problem. But sriharsha had a third party involvement and so did my uncle.

An ambassador hit us on the right side and two doors had to be replaced. They just asked for the registration number of the other car. And we got the claim approved. No injuries were there.
Insurance was Oriental cashless insurance.

Last edited:
Oh sorry to hear about the accident Sriharsha. But glad to know that all are safe , thanks to your Alto.

Had you not worn your seatbelts you would have got serious injuries junior! Even i would never call 80kmph as speeding in highways. In fact its the best and safe speed in highways.

@ Marun Sorry to hear about your accident too buddy. But i would say 120kmph is slightly over-speeding in your case. But again glad that all are safe.

BTW just remembered my friend having a Swift Vdi faced a similar situation like you. He also crashed into the biker at around 80kmph. The fault was totally with the biker as he came suddenly from nowhere in the wrong way! The Swift's bumpers , right side fender and bonnet needs to be changed completely , he is claiming insurance!

Thread Starter #37
well. actually this was the first ever accident for me from the past say 10 years or so. not even a minor one before this. so was very much shaken for a few days. anyways. one needs to experience all the things in life. this one has to be the first and the last.

Well yeah junior i can understand it especially when there is absolutely no fault on your side! Especially it can be even more heart breaking to see your beloved ride in that condition![cry]

Thread Starter #39
sorry for not updating this thread for long guys. quite held up with things in college, home all these festivals etc etc etc. to add to these i've got internals starting from tomorrow till next monday. so please give me some more time. i'll put up the report by next tuesday max.

Thread Starter #41
hey guys. so here i am at last with my report about the accident which i met a few days back. errr... i think a month back. please bear with me for my incredible english . i am not a great writer though. :-)

i had to get some college stuff from a senior friend of mine who stays at a place about 30 kms from my place. i had kept the work pending from a long time as i did not get enough time. then finally one fine(or bad) sunday noon, i decided that i was free and need to go and finish this long pending job. so asked my parents whether they were willing to come with me. they agreed and we decided to start at about 4pm. so we started from home at 4.30pm and i hit the NH4 which is about 5 mins drive from my home. i was cruising at about 80 kmph and initially all the 3 of us were wearing our seat belts.i had just done about 3 kms when mom told me that she wanted to take out something from the bag which was behind the driver's seat on the floor. hence she removed her seat belt and was busy in searching for something in the bag. i was maintaing good speeds of 70-80kmph. the road was totally empty on all 4 lanes atleast for half a km. and this road is one of the rarely found good stretch on the NH4 between chitradurga and haveri. the road has well marked lanes and divider. now i see one bloody fool on a bike who crosses the empty right lane cautiously and comes and stops at the divider waiting to cross the lane on which i am moving. he just stops for a moment and begins to move forward slowly. i give a long hooooooonnnkkkk. he just stops for a split second and continues to move again. 'wat a bloody fool' i think in my mind and apply the brakes. thing to be noted is "i did not stand on the brakes" as my mom had not worn her seat belt and the sudden application of brakes might make her hit the front seats or something. all these thoughts passed so quickly in my mind that i just apllied the brakes linearly. but still the cars tyres did lock up i think as i could see marks on the road later. but i could not avoid the bloody fool and hit him at a speed of about 40kmph i think. his bike was exactly in front of the car when the collision took place. as a result he flew from the bike and fell on my car's windshield and rolled on to the side and fell on the road. i stopped the car and me and dad got out to see the bloody fool's condition. he was alright form head to toe without any visible external injuries except for 2 small scratches on his wrist. i think his back was hurting him as he had just gone to hell and was back and landed straight on my windshield. he started crying that the bike was not his and stuff. by that time as usual, some villagers had gathered around. most of them had seen the accident live and the bloody fool's stupid driving style. so i was lucky enough that none of them blamed me and did not try to hit me . that bloody fool started shouting at me that i get the bike repaired and stuff.
i had lost my temper by then. gave him a mouthful and made him shut his bloody mouth. the villagers then started scolding that bloody fool himself(a very rare behaviour by the villagers). my dad by then stated that he was going to call the police and take that bloody fool to the hospital. but the bloody fool refused to come anywhere as he did not have a valid DL. my chill went down again and another round of mouthful to that bloody fool. finally dad paid him some money(700 bucks i think). and within seconds he was nowhere to be seen. bugger pulled away silently without us knowing it too.

until this i had not seen the damages to my car at all. the damages to the bloody fool's bike were a broken indicator light, broken front brake lever and a bent bull bar kinda thingy. that's it. just then mom shouted that there was a little blood on the dashboard. i was surprised as to how blood came into the car when the windshield was not completely broken and then dad points out to my hand which was bleeding like hell with a cut and minute glass pieces inside the wound. i had no feel of the pain until i saw the wound.by then a gentleman and his family in a safari on their way from bng to hubli had stopped to enquire whether everything was alright. the fellow helped dad in getting a first aid done to my arm(thanks to the first aid kit provided by maruti). and only then did i realize that the car was in a pretty bad shape. broken front bumper, broken headlights(both sides), totally bent fenders(both sides), bent bonnet and most important of all, a broken windshield. i was lucky enough that neither the engine bay nor the chassis had taken the beating.there was only one big piece of glass which was broken and had cut my arm. others were just very small pieces of glass and were powdered.i then told dad that we should be calling the police. but dad was somehow not very interested as it would create un-necessary complications. and guys, for your information, ours is a family of people who are not very comfortable with police, court and such stuff. hence we decided to drive back home and then think about the further work to be done.
so slowly dad drove back home. upon consultation of some of dad's friends one of whom is a senior lawyer too, dad decided to stay away from the police complaint and decided to keep the car as such for a few days in case that bloody fool turns up again with the police. the car was given to repair after about 5 days to MASS. the insurance guys told us that a insurance claim cannot be processed without a police statement in case of an accident. thus we decided to pay the expenses and gave the car for repairs. the total expenses incurred was about 25k which included replacing of both HL assemblies, repairing of both the fenders, replacing the windshield glass and repairing of the bonnet.
one thing which surprised me was the time takem by MASS for the repairs. they just took 2 days for all the repairs and replacements including a full service. i gave the car on a thu evening and got it back sat noon. this was quite impressive on their part.
anyways. i was down with dis-appointment for quite a few days after the accident(did not get out of home for some days. not even college) as this was the first ever accident of my life. i had not encountered even a minor accident when i was driving from the past so many years. this incident surely has left a very dark impression in my mind. and a little bit of fear too which i hope fades away soon.
i hope this first one will be my last one too.

Last edited:
Forget it. It was not your fault. There are several donkeys (with all respect to my favorite animal) on our roads, behaving as if they've just escaped from the circus. Take for instance, on my sojourns on NH-7, I see several monkeys on mopeds or bikes, sometimes in ricks, coming down on the wrong side on the NATIONAL HIGHWAY when it takes less than a minute to cross to the right side. I sometimes wish I was older and drove a Safari with a bull-bar on the highway. If I'd see even a single monkey, I'd move him at 120 km/h. This is just the thought that crosses my mind everytime I see such morons.

Uncle should not have paid the idiot 700 Rs.

That is so sad to hear about your injuries.
mormally windshield glass do not harm much.

Why did your dad paid him a 700. You should have not paid a singe rupee as the entire fault is of the fool in bike.

good to know the car is back in shape!!

Forget it. It was not your fault. There are several donkeys (with all respect to my favorite animal) on our roads, behaving as if they've just escaped from the circus. Take for instance, on my sojourns on NH-7, I see several monkeys on mopeds or bikes, sometimes in ricks, coming down on the wrong side on the NATIONAL HIGHWAY when it takes less than a minute to cross to the right side. I sometimes wish I was older and drove a Safari with a bull-bar on the highway. If I'd see even a single monkey, I'd move him at 120 km/h. This is just the thought that crosses my mind everytime I see such morons.

Uncle should not have paid the idiot 700 Rs.
Arkin such thoughts you are expressing is really shocking me.[surprise]

Arkin such thoughts you are expressing is really shocking me.[surprise]
That's a little shocking to me as well. I too have my share of road rage issues and go overboard once in a while but Arkin,you're very young and you haven't started to driving yet,at least lawfully.
You have to keep in mind that all kinds of people use our roads,legally and almost 90 percent of the time in an offensive manner and breaking every rule. But I guess you should cool down a little bit and dont work up the rage.
You will be even more frustrated when you start driving and spend more time on the roads. So cool down a lilttle bit[:)]. I know how you feel.

Top Bottom